Health(ier) fry up

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I know some people poo-poo the research relating to the links between processed meats and cancer, but Im not one of them - I see no reason to embrace a risk I dont need to take
At last nitrate and nitrite free products are becoming available in supermarkets so todays basket included bacon, ham and sausages (all on offer at Sainsburys) and tea consisted of bacon, mushrooms and sausage, all fried in olive oil - v nice it was too
http://www.finnebrogue.com/naked/where-to-buy/

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I have intolerance to many foods, one of which is polyunsaturated fats.
I discovered through this forum that frying in certain animal fats, not only enhances the full English but the benefits to health of it are multiplied.
Saturated fat does not make you fat, I am a living guinea pig, my food diary has details of how much difference avoiding certain so called 'healthier' cooking oils!

As for nitrates, if you have a choice like I do, I use gammon grilled instead of the bacon. If you go to a market, you can find healthier options in sausage, sourced protein, eggs, dairy!

The supermarkets are getting wiser to certain intolerant groups like gluten.

I just wish that, the usual suspects would stop the constant dissing of what is a healthy traditional meal.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Im intolerant to dairy so frying in things like butter are a big no no for me, delicious as it is

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The nearest stockist to these products is 10 miles away from us.
I will stick with Lidl bacon and high meat sausages (or Hecks).

We have grill ups rather than fry ups. Personal taste. Fried in butter eggs and mushrooms, grilled bacon, sausage and tomato. Occasionally grilled mushrooms underneath grilled meat when we have chops or fillet steak..

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yuk! although to be fair ive never tried goose fat, but I find duck and duck fat quite revolting

Last edited:

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
This has been available in my local Waitrose for a little while, I bought some which is in the fridge. I want to find out from our farmer's market if they prepare without nitrates.