Work & health your thoughts please.

Bertie

Hello to all of you out there...

...I know that there are many of you who will understand my concerns relating to both work and health and perhaps you will be able to share your thoughts to help me through a difficult time.

I was diagnosed T2 diabetic 16 months ago after many bouts of various infections. After an initial couple of months of adjustment with both medication and diet, my blood sugar levels have been maintained fairly well.

However, with the current economic situation (I'm sure affecting many of us) along with the very stressful process of having to re-apply for my own job, (thankfully gaining a job, if not my own due to the number of people applying for it), the pressure of sales targets and combined with having 3 very close bereavements over the last 2 months, this has led to more infections and nerve/muscle pain, which has prevented me being at work over the last couple of months.

I am now concerned about my future employment due to my health situation and the amount of time I have been absent, although this has been supported with doctor's certificates. I have tried to seek information about where I stand from my employers, but the information is vague and management evasive, (I suspect favourable terms are dependent on sales performance figures, which will not be adequate while absent!)

I currently find daily functions and my ability to concentrate and think straight a challenge, I would be grateful if anyone could offer ideas of support on where I stand with my employment, where I can find good information, even on benefits (needing the income owing to being a single mid-aged person), and I would be glad to know how you overcome the job applications/interview difficult questions relating to "periods of illness" please...

With thanks for reading my concerns and any suggestions of help.

Catherine_h

Hi

I am in a very similar situation, I was diagnosed type 1 18 month ago and initially had quite a few weeks off work I was very ill!

The company I work for accepted this but whilst my blood sugars were being stabilised I had lots of infections, mainly ear infections that needed emergency treatment at the hospital. My work is now trying to get rid of me and last week requested that I allow them to contact me GP and consultant for a medical report.

My blood sugars are now very well controlled, I have spoken to both my GP and Consultant and they are going to support me!

I am in a union and my rep has been very helpful, he has explained that as I am now classed as diasabled I am covered by the Disability Act 1995. They have sent me some very helpful leaflets from the Disability Rights Commission titled sick leave, sick pay and medical appointments and also Discipline and dismissal.

I have learnt that any leave related to me diability (diabetes) "disability leave" should be recorded separately from ordinary sick leave. Disability leave cannot be used in disciplinary procedures, appraisals, references or reduncacy criteria. My employers had tried to give me warning but now cant!

They are still trying to dismiss me stating I am not capable of work, I have only had 4 days off in the last 8 month! all due to my diabetes. My union have advised me that if they do dismiss me due to my time off I have a very good case at tribunal.

Work are also not happy about my appointment leave but again they cannot question this.

I would strongly advise you to join a union! and read the information from the Disability Rights Commision.

Hope this helps a bit

Catherine x

sugar2

HI,

You have been through such a tough and stressful time, you really do have my sympathy.

To be honest with you, I don't understand what your employer problem is? This is going to sounds odd, on a diabetes forum, but I am gong to ignore all thing diabetic for a moment. Anyone, who has suffered 3 close bereavments in 3 months is going to need some compassionate leave...diabetic or not. They really should be working with you to help you through what is obviously a stressful time.

i am not teh best person to advise, comment on your diabetes, but i=t is great that your Dr is behind you....but from what you have said, it sounds to me like you are understandably grieving. Obviously, this does impact your diabetes...but the main issue is grief, which I hope your employer would be sympathetic to?

Apologies if I am way of track by the way. i wish you all the very best.

Bertie

Hello Sugar2

It has been a difficult time, and I hope it will not be compounded by employment issues. I am currently trying to take a day at a time and move on as this really is the only and best course of action. I hope the re-occurrence of infections will settle down again with rest, as I am sure my immune system must be quite low which is an issue with diabetes.

Many thanks for your comments and thoughts.

Catherine_h

Work really getting on my case now! they complained again today about a hospital appointment!

Waiting for the reply to work from my doctors which hopefully will put an end to it!

Union have told me to lodge a grievance but I worry that it will make things even worse at work!

Could really do with a day off from diabetes, getting a bit tired of fighting!

Catherine