Bay leaves improve glucose levels & lipids in T2D

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Admittedly the pharmaceutical industry is not going to keen on bay leaves, but after10 years I would have expected to have heard a lot more about this if it worked.

Reactions: Olufisayo

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I use bay regularly in my soups and stews. Glad to hear at least that it is not a baddie. Thanks for posting.

Reactions: Olufisayo

Olufisayo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Going out. After closing from work, I relax at home.
I read about bay leaves and I went for it. I don’t even remember it again.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I use bay regularly in my soups and stews....
Me too - bay leaves are one of my essential go to herbs, along with a number of other herbs and spices which are supposedly good for diabetics. But I've always used them since I learned to cook many years back and well prior to diabetes diagnosis, so I have no way of telling whether they may have made any difference...

Robbity

lindijanice

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Do you eat them or is it just the essence of their being in your cooking? Somewhere along the way I think I heard they are not to be ingested, but I think they are ground up in the mix for Mexican sauces.. I love using them but always discard....Cheers/L

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you eat them or is it just the essence of their being in your cooking? Somewhere along the way I think I heard they are not to be ingested, but I think they are ground up in the mix for Mexican sauces.. I love using them but always discard....Cheers/L
We just pick a few fresh, chuck them in the pot and pick them out when serving.
For anyone wishing to try a bay tree is easily grown in a pot or tub and will keep you going in leaves all year round.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We just pick a few fresh, chuck them in the pot and pick them out when serving.
For anyone wishing to try a bay tree is easily grown in a pot or tub and will keep you going in leaves all year round.
Make sure it is Bay Laurel (Lauris nobilis) as all the other laurels, commonly used for hedges, are poisonous.

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I read somewhere you're supposed to light the things on fire in your kitchen. I forget why, just don't do it in your car or you might get arrested.

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I read somewhere you're supposed to light the things on fire in your kitchen. I forget why, just don't do it in your car or you might get arrested.
I don't think that's bay leaves :p

I have 2 big bay plants in my back garden in pots as far as it goes, a choke risk if you forget to remove them from your cooking, but I cut a load every so often and dry then keep in jars and a couple go in most things I cook :)

Last edited:

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Interesting.
We have quite a few small bay tees in pots (and a couple of big ones) but don't use the leaves much in cooking.
I must try to use them more.

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Is there any difference or advantage in using dried leaves or fresh leaves? My wife uses dried leaves from our tree but only because she's seen dried leaves in the shops and thought that was the best way of using them. I wonder if fresh leaves might not add more to the taste.

D

Deleted member 308541

Is there any difference or advantage in using dried leaves or fresh leaves? My wife uses dried leaves from our tree but only because she's seen dried leaves in the shops and thought that was the best way of using them. I wonder if fresh leaves might not add more to the taste.
I used a few dried bay leaves in the butchers shop I worked in the UK, when cooking hams up in the boiler. I grabbed a branch off a laurel tree that was near where I lived, and hung it up so the leaves dried out.

I just buy packet stuff nowadays to use when I cook up corned silverside or brisket.

Reactions: kev-w

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I 'believe' which means I think I read it once over the flavour comes out more when dry, oxidisation or something....