Newcastle Diet

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How are you getting on with the Exante shakes?

A friend gave me a dozen shakes around... um... 4 years ago. I really enjoyed the choc mint, and the butterscotch. But then had real problems with the soups! :yuck:

AlexMagd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How are you getting on with the Exante shakes?

A friend gave me a dozen shakes around... um... 4 years ago. I really enjoyed the choc mint, and the butterscotch. But then had real problems with the soups! :yuck:

I like most of them so far. I really can't stand the Strawberry ones (so artificial tasting) and am yet to go for the Lemon Cheesecake or Chocolate Orange. They sent me a bunch of Irish Cream ones for free and I have to say I'm not a fan of those either!

The biggest problem so far is boredom, and especially that my mealtimes are now reduced to a five minute session instead of something social and longer-lasting.

What was off about the soups? I was thinking about introducing some soups into the diet later on in place of some shakes, if only because hot liquid is a bit of a change from cold liquid!

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Hi @Mbaker - at the moment I'm spiking up to around 9.2 on average. They're fairly regular spikes so far, though my 'resting' BG levels are going down - into the high 3's at night.
Well you've got a lot of support wishing you all the best and following your thread.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
From what I remember the soups tasted really fake. Soya tasting. I was only drinking these things because my friend would have thrown them out, and because I was nosey :) and didn’t realise how bad I would feel with the glucose fluctuations they caused. :( They may have changed the recipes since I ate them though!

I did like those flavours i mentioned though... :D

Are you finding the shakes thin? I have seen people post about adding a teasp of psyllium husks to the shakes to make them thicker so they seem more satisfying.

Last edited:

AlexMagd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
From what I remember the soups tasted really fake. Soya tasting. I was only drinking these things because my friend would have thrown them out, and because I was nosey :) and didn’t realise how bad I would feel with the glucose fluctuations they caused. :( They may have changed the recipes since I ate them though!

I did like those flavours i mentioned though... :D

Are you finding the shakes thin? I have seen people post about adding a teasp of psyllium husks to the shakes to make them thicker so they seem more satisfying.

Actually not so bad at all - I make them with 200ml water so they stay quite thick and shake-like. Still a bit grainy, but still quite drinkable.

I feel OK on the glucose fluctuations - I guess highs of 9 aren't so bad in the grand scheme of things - and I'm coming down a lot faster from spikes than I usually do, which is perhaps a good thing.

Reactions: rom35 and Brunneria

AlexMagd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well you've got a lot of support wishing you all the best and following your thread.

Thanks! I'll upload my BG results from my Libre every so often, as I think it'll be interesting for people to see. Sadly, with the distribution issues at the moment I don't think I'll be getting my next sensor for another couple of weeks so there'll be data gaps

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all,

I've started my Newcastle Diet today armed with a ton of Exante shakes, and a bunch of multivitamins. I'm doing the methodology from the most recent Direct study - 4x shakes per day over 8-12 weeks totalling 800 calories. I've already 'reversed' my T2D through following a low-carb diet, but I'm curious to see what else this can achieve for me and my body's insulin sensitivity, and the extra weight loss is a nice bonus too!

My one concession to sanity is a cup of coffee with a dash of milk in the morning, because my job is horrendous at the moment and I need it for my sanity ;-)

I'll update when I can, or if anything interesting happens.

DAY 1

Weight:
16st 2lbs
Fasting BG: 5.8

So far, results as expected - BG spikes after drinking the shakes which are, on average, around 15g per shake. My mixer bottle is awesome and works really well. It's like living in the future!

DAY 3

Weight:
15st 11lbs
Fasting BG: 4.6

I don't know what the makeup of the shakes is - but if they have milk in them, then reduce milk and replace with water. The ones I used tasted even better and you can then use the milk in your coffee without fear I think.

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't know what the makeup of the shakes is - but if they have milk in them, then reduce milk and replace with water. The ones I used tasted even better and you can then use the milk in your coffee without fear I think.

Really good luck on your journey @AlexMagd
Micro manage the whole thing - weeks, days, meals to go. I lined all my shakes into piles and watched them disappear.

I didnt have peeks as high as 9 I don't think but got into the 8's. I also played around with when to have them. Like you my night time readings (and I checked mornings with finger pricks) went into the mid-high 3's. then between shakes in about week 2 I started to drop into low 4's during the day. It did get on my nerves that I would be 4.2 - have the shake then hit 7.8 in an hour - made me grumpy :)

Keep going - keep posting - lots of evidence now on this forum that even well controlled people are giving this a go to see if it can push those figures down more.

Good luck!

Reactions: Pipp

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
After 7 years I have forgotten what the shakes I used (Lipotrim) were like, apart from them tasting rather bland. The soups I found particularly disgusting, and the meal replacement 'flapjack' was like a cork coaster. I got through by regarding the meal replacements as 'medicine' rather than food. I have since tried , on recommendation of another member, shakes from a different company, Shake That Weight. Their powdered drinks can be mixed with milk. I found mixing them with a smaller than recommended amount of almond milk made a nice thick mousse. Also, there are cereal bars that are quite palatable. I find this strange, because normally I dislike sweet foods.

It is the social aspect of eating that can be most difficult. I did at one celebration, sit with a group of friends in a rather fine curry house and sipped water all night as they were feasting. Definitely worth the sacrifice though.