Dealing with nausea

Peridot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When I feel sick I have always nibbled on a plain cracker (usually Ritz). I can’t think of a low carb equivalent - what do you eat when you want to stave off nausea?

Please don’t say anything like pork scratchings as I feel sick enough already!

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lemon and ginger "tea" is very effective. Do you know why you are feeling sick ? Metformin did that to me ?

Peridot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have just upped my dose of Metformin as of today so it could be that, thanks for that thought and I’ll keep it in mind.

But I had a day of thinking I was going to be sick last week- so who knows?!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Anything with ginger in it.
Ginger biscuits were recommended by oncology nurses for help with chemo nausea (but of course biscuits are off the menu.)

Peridot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Can’t say I fancy ginger tea but will try to persuade myself to drink some. Thanks both

eabhamurphy

Ryvita do these sesame protein crackers now 5.9g a ryvita. They don't spike my sugars. Although it's maybe more carbs than your looking to eat. I just have one with some cheese and about 0.6units of insulin and no spikes.

Peridot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ryvita do these sesame protein crackers now 5.9g a ryvita. They don't spike my sugars. Although it's maybe more carbs than your looking to eat. I just have one with some cheese and about 0.6units of insulin and no spikes.
Ooh, I’ll look out for those, thank you

Peridot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When I was adjusting to metformin sometimes all I could eat was full fat yogurt.
I’ve been on 2 in the evening for a couple of years - but today is the first day I’ve taken 2 in the morning too. Surely they can’t make me feel sick already?

lindijanice

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hey Peridot, peppermint tea is also acceptable for staving off nausea. Did you eat much when you took the two Metformin in the morning? I would think it could affect you quickly if not enough eaten, especially with taking two....hope you are feeling better soon/L

Hotpepper20000

I’ve been on 2 in the evening for a couple of years - but today is the first day I’ve taken 2 in the morning too. Surely they can’t make me feel sick already?
I find I still can get sick when I take them in the morning with out some sort of fat. I use cream in my coffee and that seems to help n

Peridot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hey Peridot, peppermint tea is also acceptable for staving off nausea. Did you eat much when you took the two Metformin in the morning? I would think it could affect you quickly if not enough eaten, especially with taking two....hope you are feeling better soon/L
No - I took them on an empty stomach, it didn’t occur to me that could be it

Peridot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I find I still can get sick when I take them in the morning with out some sort of fat. I use cream in my coffee and that seems to help n
Good tip, thanks. Do you have the coffee and then take the pills? I washed mine down with coffee

lindijanice

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Personally, I take the metformin just as I starting my breakfast and supper....some take it earlier or after they have eaten, but I have found it works best just as I am beginning the meal....trial and error I guess! L

Peridot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have one cup of coffee with cream. Take a pill and then a second cup. Seems to help me.
I’m always dashing to get to work. I have breakfast al desko but usually manage a coffee whilst I’m getting ready

Hotpepper20000

I’m always dashing to get to work. I have breakfast al desko but usually manage a coffee whilst I’m getting ready
You can always the first Pill with breakfast. There’s nothing saying you have to take them first thing in the morning.
I take them with my coffee because I don’t eat till noon.