BYETTA

Jude

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
<font face="Arial"></font id="Arial"><font size="3"></font id="size3">

Is there anyone in the Coventry area that is getting Byetta on prescription?
My GP added in Gliclazide in December and I will get getting new blood test done this week. I think it has helped BUT I have put weight on and I already have a problem with my weight so am thinking of asking GP for Byetta.
Any advice in this direction will be gratefully received.

Jude

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Moreno,

Sorry, I didn't answer your question. Byetta is one of the newest drugs developed for Type 2s. It helps the pancreas to produce more insulin, reduces appetite so helps you to lose weight, reduces unwanted glucose production by the liver, and slows down the passage of food through the stomach so helps your insulin to cope better with the rise in blood sugar. The downside is that it has to be injected.

In the States it is accepted by all the medical insurers and I believe the co-pay element is quite low (around $20 a month, against the full price of $200 a month). If you want more information on it, here's a link to the byetta web site
http://www.byetta.com/index.jsp

Silvercat

I have a gall stone and since I have started the Byetta I have started with the pains again....could this be linked in any way?

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Silvercat,

I don't know the answer to that, although I have never heard it mention by the byetta user group that I correspond with.

Try calling the Eli Lily Byetta help desk in the UK. Their number will be on the information that comes with the pen pack. I have always found them to be extremely helpful.

helonwheelz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Re: Anyone use Byetta?

Its my 1st day on Byetta today. I have had both injections and Im amazed! I felt full from the 1st injection this morning and have hardly eaten anything all day. At this rate I will be a stick insect for christmas yeahhhhh! :lol:
I dont suppose Im going to get away scott free with the side effects, Im never that lucky.
Interesting forum, I stumbled across it while researching Byetta.

helonwheelz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Re:

Dennis said:
Hi Ash,

In terms of benefits, I personally believe that it is great because it acts in a natural way. Sulphonylurea drugs just stimulate your pancreas to produce more and more insulin, and will continue to do so until the sulphonylurea dose has worn off, regardless of whether more insulin is actually needed. Hence the possibility of hypos.

Byetta mimics the action of the incretin GLP-1, which is the substance that tells your pancreas that food is on its way, so start generating insulin. Effectively it wakes up your pancreas to the presence of food so that the pancreas can naturally produce an appropriate level of insulin in response. When the insulin has done its job and sugar levels have dropped, then the pancreas is allowed to naturally shut off insulin production. Hence no hypos.

What Byetta doesn't do is to help the insulin to metabolise the glucose into energy stored within the body cells. If your particular problem is cellular resistance then this is where a biguanide drug like metformin comes in that helps make the cell walls more receptive to glucose.

Having just re-read all that it sounds like I'm a salesman for Eli Lily, which I promise you I am not! (but if you want a pension then drop me a line!! - moderators just joking, I am not touting for business!). Why not discuss it with your GP or consultant. At worst they will say no, its not what you need. Bear in mind that this drug has only been available in the UK for 9 months, and more people are currently getting it on the NHS than are having to go private, but unfortunately it is still a postcode lottery.

Ive picked out the 'hypo's ' bit because the DSN at the hospital told me to expect them whilst I am still on max dose of Gliclazide. I think if anyone is going to start Byetta and is taking the max dose of Gliclazide they should be aware that they may get 'hypo's ' at the begining of their treatment. Of course, this should also be explained to them by who ever prescribes the Byetta.

sixfoot

Dennis as they say in all good B rated Sci fi movies YOU ARE NOT ALONE !!!

have lost 25lb but the weight thing has stayed static for a few weeks now and cant seem to shift it even when dropping to really low carb ie no carrot etc.
But BS are stable and no other adverse effects.

Dave P

Jacqhar

Hi

I started on Byetta earlier this month and am now waiting for my 2nd prescripion where the dose will be increased. Not had any real side affects apart from a horrid taste in my mouth for about a week. I have felt full most of the time and lost about 9lb upto now but am watching what I eat and going to the gym 3 times a week. I did feel a little sick after one meal but that was my own fault; I carried on eating when my tummy was telling me to stop, it's been so long I didn't recognise what my body was telling me. :lol:

My GP did not want to prescribe Byetta so my DSN got the prescription from the Consultant and stated as soon as my GP sees the benefits he will change his mind - not too sure about that!!

Jacqueline

skullman86

Hello everybody!

Used to be on the old forum but havent been back for a while!#
Thought id come back now to see what the take is on Byetta!

I was put on it just over a month and half ago! ...
I started on the 5mg, and everything seemed to go well - only had a couple of times where i felt nauseous; however other than that i had no side effects!
Has been simple to use, and must say pretty much noticed the appetite suppressing straight away.

After my 1st month review ... i went in and the finger prick test i was at 4.0; my HbA1c had dropped from 8.7 to 7.1 and i had lost 4kgs of weight! So im pretty impressed so far!
Now on the 10mg...and while my mornings can still be high... during the day most readings are in the 4's or 5's! The only slight thing i worry about is that my appetite has reduced even more and at the moment im only really eating two meals in a day!

Although i dont know if thats really such a bad thing! It may be a load of rubbish but my geography teacher said to us all once that lunch was only useful for people doing physical work! And while there is an element in my job - i am more of an office bod.

So i'd recommend it to others if they get a chance to use it!

sixfoot

Skullman, ive been on it for nearly 4 months no side effects to speak of, have lost 23 lb so far but at the moment outside of no appetite the weight loss has stopped again. I allowed myself a couple of pints the other day it didnt make any real change one way or another.

Dave P

helonwheelz

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Would anyone happen to know, how long before Byetta starts to regulate blood sugars? I started on it last Thursday after stopping insulin for a couple of weeks and my blood sugar readings on waking are up around the 14 - 16 mark. The problem I seem to be getting is they drop dramatically during the day and rise dramatically, 23.2 last night, in the evening.

ians1

Only just found this message board.

My wife has FPLDV (1)
My wife is on Byetta 5ug bd since Sep 07 as high doses of Insulin or Rosiglitazone with Metformin and Gliclazide did little to bring her bg below an average of about 16 mmol/l Even 96U daily of Insulin failed to have any impact (in fact this raised her bg by about 2-3 mmol/l shortly after being administered.)

The nausea is a big problem initially at least, but its continued for even now to a lesser extent. She tried the 10ug bd but could not tolerate it. She may try again soon.
She has lost 35 lbs so far on this, but failed to lose weight on Accomplia.

One tip worth noting, and this was checked with her endo. is that Byetta is recommended to be injected 2 doses 12 hours apart, but if you read the P.I.L. it says not less than 6 hours apart so she has one injection about 7am and the other about 1pm which allows neatly for the requirement to "eat something" within an hour AFTER injection (NOT before).
Food taken can be something as simple as a bannana or biscuits and tea or whatever small snack you usually have, its only to give the stomach something to act on.
The 6/18 regimen for injections works well we find as it allows her to rest in the afternoon and then later in the evening allows her an "alert" phase of about 4-6 hours which helps maintain some quality of life, otherwise she would be completely worn out 24/7

The drugs active ingredient was isolated initially from the saliva of the Gila Monster Lizard, a venomous lizard from N America I believe. It was observed that once its prey was injected with its saliva it simply followed them until they collapsed, and ate them! Scientists wondered what the venom was but could not find any, but on examining the dead animals they found the bg was very very low, and thats what killed them. So its synthetic offshoot is now helping diabetic humans. Even more interestingly, I think, the Gila Monster can inject itself with its own venom, not to kill itself, but to allow it to go up to 12 months with no food, beat that Weightwatchers!

My wife's bg is now dropping down to single figures some days as the Byetta has its reputed theraputic long term effects as promised. It was down to 8 the other day, something thats not happened for years.

There have been episodes when her bg was off the scale (>33 mmol/l) on the meter but this we think was due to a combination of steroids and illness and antibiotics (she has COPD).

We now have a new meter that can upload the results onto the computer (which she cant use because of her other disabilites btw) and make pretty graphs for the GP/endo etc.

After trying just about all other treatments (including Accomplia and high fat diet etc etc) the Byetta seems to be the one that may just work, but its a long term thing, so dont be disheartened when your bg goes up temporarily (ie for a month or two maybe as it did for my wife).

If she was to stop the Byetta she would go back on the Avandia, which is even more expensive, so they are happy to keep her on it for now.

ian :D :D

Notes
(1) http://care.diabetesjournals.org/cgi/co ... /26/5/1350

(My wifes information was given with permission)

Powerboatman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
Restrictions on driving, flying and other pastimes, increased insurance fee's

Hi there to you all, I am new to the forums & other matters but thought I would like to post a reply regarding Byetta.

As a type 2 Diabetic of nearly 10 years, I am just starting my 5th month’s treatment of Byetta in association with my other drugs.

To date I have had no side effects or sickness & nausea.

When I started within 3 days I noticed an immense reduction in my appetite & was delighted after the first month to have lost over 5 kg's.

However during the following months my appetite although reduced has not had the same fullness feeling immediately upon starting eating & my weight has slowed to a static figure once again.

I am getting much more exercise than I used to but that to has not seemed to change things to much.

I have noticed some of my clothes are fitting me a little looser than before but it’s hard not to see the weight loss I experienced initially continuing.

Having read the various posts this seems more prevalent amongst UK patients than the reported results from the USA.

I also tried the Atkins diet about 3 years ago & succeeded to loose over 10 kg in about 5 months; I suffered no hardships or side effects & had much more energy than normal.

Unfortunately I had an extremely severe cold over the winter & stopped the diet. During the next 6 months most of the weight slipped back on but then stabilized as before with very little fluctuation.

I again tried the Atkins diet including the Atkins Diabetic revolution & meals, I am sorry to say the second time I hardly experienced any beneficial results.

Hoping for long term improvements by using Byetta & thereby reducing my other fat inducing drugs.

It seems weird to me that the main cause of Diabetes is being over weight, but the most significant side affect of 4 out of the 5 tablets I take is weight increase & some sexual impotency.

Hoping to hear more from others soon.

Regards,

Powerboatman

descartesmum

Love it love it love it!! I am such a Lizzie fan despite the nausea and vomiting in the beginning. Now she and I get along really well (99% of the time now). :mrgreen:

I'm on a Byetta trial program which started in March and I think ends in September. I really hope that I can continue with it because when we started the endo and the diabetes nurse didn't know if we could. The pharmacist that I go to said that as long as my gp writes the prescription for it I should get it.

Before starting Byetta my numbers were 12-15s, now they are 4-7s. So I am a very happy person.

I take the Byetta and then eat about 20 minutes later so my appetite is suppressed. If I think that nausea might rear it's ugly head then I eat right after injecting. I've lost over half a stone since started taking it.

Oh, I'm in Hertfordshire.

Carol

Sammi

I discussed this with a doctor I sued to see at the London Medical Centre (Previously known as the London Diabetes Centre). At the time, it wasn't even available in the Uk. Then it was but the cost was approximately £270-£300 a month - too much! I am seeing my doctor later this month and want to discuss it with him. I am presently on Metformin but I was told that metformin does not protect your pancreas against further damage where as the Byetta does. It also shows good weight loss results. I have lost a lot of weight over the last year by changing my diet and massively increasing my exercise (Lost 4 stone) but have not lost anything for the last three months despite sticking with my new habits which is very disheartening. I would like to try Byetta. Hopefully my doctor will be up for it on a short trial basis but if not, I will consider a self funded trial.

I wondered what the impact is though on future treatment re effectively going private. I heard recently about that woman who had some private treatment for cancer and then the NHS would not treat her. Anyone discussed this with their doctor?

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.

I would never get Byetta, I'm too well controlled and not heavy enough. i have read west Berks PCT guidelines for type 2 diabetes and Byettta is very much a last resort.
Read David Mendosa's website. He got Byetta a while ago and has lost a lot of weight, he's off all medication now.
I'm wonderin where you found out that Metformin damages the pancreas, I was under thte impression that it doesn't act on the pancreas at all. It works on the acive ransport system. Gliclazide, which they also like to prescribw, works on the pancreas, as do all the insulin secretologues

ponty monty

Hi

My first ever post. I have been Type 1 diabetic using (NovaMix 30) insulin for nearly two years. I have been able to keep my blood sugars down to a good level, last week my consultant but me on Byetta 5mg twice day and Metformin (500mg)1 twice a day. All going good at the moment looking forward to the possibility of getting my PCV and HGV licence back in the near future.

Sammi

Sorry :oops: - it's not that metformin damages the pancreas. Its just that it doesn't protect the pancreas from further deteriation. I was told that Byetta protects the pancreas.

ians1

I think all drugs have some risk Sammi. Its interesting they gave you Byetta as a Type 1 Ponty, is that with or instead of the Insulin? As far as I know Byetta is still not licensed in England or Scotland for use with Byetta. Also I would like to know if anyone in the UK is taking Avandia (Rosiglitazone) with Byetta?

ian