Type 2 Is it normal to be seen by Diabetic Nurse every 8 months?

PDV68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi, everyone. I was diagnosed as type 2 diabetic on Dec 12 of last year, with a Hba1c of 48. My weight was 78 kg, and at 5 feet 10 my bmi was 24.6.
Although the nurse was keen to put me on Metformin, I managed to persuade her to give me the chance to bring it down through a lchf diet, and if that didn't work, then I would consider medication.
I received a letter from my surgery in Feb of this year asking me to book my three month blood test for Hba1c and lipids. I went for the test on Feb 22, got my results the following week ( Hba1c now down to 47 ), and was told to book another appointment with the DN.
I went to see the DN today, and after going through my results, and weighing me again ( weight now 72 kg, bmi 22.7 ) she said she was pleased to tell me that because I'm now Pre diabetic I won't need to be seen until November of this year.
Is this normal? Has anyone else encountered this?

rom35

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In czech republic at these numbers the check is in one year...

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
After my last blood test at 6 months from diagnosis I was told that as I had normal numbers I did not need any more appointments - not even for the Thyroxine tablets which is usually done at the end of each calendar year.
I did argue that I ought to have an annual test, so there was a vague maybe about my birthday this year - but I'm not holding my breath.

archersuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
When I was diagnosed and saw my GP she wanted me to see the nurse after 3 months and go back to her after a further 3. I went to see my nurse after 3 months and she was so pleased with my results that she told me I didn't need to see the GP in 3 months time - but didn't say when I should have another appointment. So after a further 3 months I put in a request for another HbA1c test which was approved, and I have an appointment with the GP 2 weeks after that. If you want another test and/or appointment ask for it.
although I reduced my HbA1c from 52 to 35 in 3 months, I need that reassurance that I'm still doing ok.

Reactions: dbr10

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed last May and as you can see from my signature I have had HbA1cs every 2-3 months, despite the last three being non diabetic numbers. My appts have all been with my GP, I’ve never seen a nurse at my surgery. 8 months seems along time to wait so soon after diagnosis.

EDIT Sorry just noticed this is your first post, so welcome! I’ll tag in @daisy1 in case you haven’t seen her welcome info.

Reactions: ickihun and Juicyj

Smallbrit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In my surgery they figure if you have “stable” readings after 3 months in prediabetic numbers they see you once a year for HBA1C, and they’ve now decided that’s in the month of your birthday.

It was really hard for me to get past that spiel from the receptionist for my last 3-month appt, even though the GP had specifically told me to make the appt!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
May I ask if your birthday is in November? Many surgeries, when booking annual appointments, use the birth month for these. I know mine does.

When pre-diabetic it is normal to have reviews annually in the UK.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In my surgery they figure if you have “stable” readings after 3 months in prediabetic numbers they see you once a year for HBA1C, and they’ve now decided that’s in the month of your birthday
May I ask if your birthday is in November? Many surgeries, when booking annual appointments, use the birth month for these. I know mine does.

Lovely birthday present :wideyed: Let’s all meet at the Drs with a birthday cake! (Low carb one of course!)

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I believe it should be either 3 or 6 months, then once stable possibly yearly.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I get to see mine once a year and she's not even a DN.... but we chat about things she's really not too aware of...

D

Deleted member 308541

I do not have a diabetes nurse, so all of my needs are done by the GP. I have seen a Diabetic Educator twice over 18 months but she has no say in my T2 treatment.

I suggested to my GP that I go for my hba1c / lipids etc blood tests every six months, as I have been holding the hba1c levels at the same result of 5.4% for the last three tests and he agreed to it.

Reactions: ickihun

paulus1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
consultant every 3 months practice nurse every month.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
After my last blood test at 6 months from diagnosis I was told that as I had normal numbers I did not need any more appointments - not even for the Thyroxine tablets which is usually done at the end of each calendar year.
I did argue that I ought to have an annual test, so there was a vague maybe about my birthday this year - but I'm not holding my breath.
@Resurgam I thought that you had to have an annual check for thyroid meds - I do and I have had no change in my dosage since being diagnosed 4-5 years ago.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Mine seems to depend on which nurse I see at the time - initially it was 6 monthly, then annual and now, it’s back to 6 monthly as they keep nagging about statins and that my hba1c, at 35, is too low!!

PDV68

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Yes, as a matter of fact it is.

PDV68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was diagnosed last May and as you can see from my signature I have had HbA1cs every 2-3 months, despite the last three being non diabetic numbers. My appts have all been with my GP, I’ve never seen a nurse at my surgery. 8 months seems along time to wait so soon after diagnosis.

EDIT Sorry just noticed this is your first post, so welcome! I’ll tag in @daisy1 in case you haven’t seen her welcome info.
Thank you for the welcome. I suppose I am feeling a little frustrated by being told I wouldn't need to be seen until Nov because it had taken me from Jan of last year, until Nov to even get the blood test that led to my diagnosis, ( my symptoms were casebook stress according to two docs, and it was actually a locum who ordered the tests ) and now I know what is wrong, I feel I am being ' dismissed ' again.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, as a matter of fact it is.

That will be the reason then. It is common for surgeries to use the birth month for annual reviews as it more or less ensures an even split in their work load, which is an important factor for them as it isn't just diabetics, it is nearly everyone with a chronic illness that has annual reviews.

I understand your frustration, but it doesn't sound like you are being dismissed, just being put on the conveyor belt. As long as you have your own meter and are testing regularly and keeping records, you will know how you are doing, and if you detect a slide you will know and be able to put it right.

Reactions: MargaretR

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Resurgam I thought that you had to have an annual check for thyroid meds - I do and I have had no change in my dosage since being diagnosed 4-5 years ago.
Yes indeed, and before diabetes that was the case - in fact it was an error at the clinic which meant that I was diagnosed, as the wrong test was flagged.
As far as I know it was November 2015 when the last thyroid test was done - 2016 was the error, I asked about it at my next two tests but there is nothing on my notes - mind you, I really do think that they are sulking because I stopped the Metformin and statins without consulting them, even though they had closed for the Christmas holiday 2016 and I was a total wreck for weeks.