urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Surely the UK has a governing body, such as Australia has in having the Therapeutic Goods Administration agency to safeguard against the import of fake medication.

It seems to me that the people that persist in getting their medication off of E Bay are the victims here.

But I thought there was a problem in New South Wales last year where an orderly discovered a large qty of fake med's in a children's hospital?

D

Deleted member 308541

But I thought there was a problem in New South Wales last year where an orderly discovered a large qty of fake med's in a children's hospital?
I do not recall seeing that in our media so I cannot comment on that. If it happened the media would be like a pack of dogs after a three legged cat to break the story.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
He can go back to his true calling ... christian healing. Better still, deported

david1241

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
doctors and dentists.I would not be rude to any.Also i don't like being taken for granted.
Hello,I had no doubt about the Metformin I bought at the local pharmacy without prescription in the Philipinnes.I had been going there for over 8 years .I was aslo taking Atenolol ,Enalapril and Amlodipine , at the time for high blood pressure.They all worked as theyshould.My doctors would only give me a months supply at a time.The Pharmacies there are all licenced to sell genuine drugs.You do not need to make an appointment there to see a doctor. You just join the queue.In 2010 I had an accident and injured my left knee .I had to go into hospital to have it repaired.Which was sucessful .While in there The doctor asked me if i knew i had diabetes.He said i had,had it for 6 months.Shock Horror! I had no idea about it .I felt fine at the time My surgical wound healed up with no problem.I was having routine 6 monthly blood tests and blood pressure checks at the doctors in the UK.Nobody at the surgery told me about it for 6 years.Then they sent for me.to tell me i was diabetic.The doctor noticed on my medical records i was not taking statins.Then insisted i should take them I flatly refused to take them as i had done in the past.She got really stoppy and said if i did not take them .She would not treat me.So i told her I would sort it out myself,and walked out of the surgery never to return there.As i mentioned in a previous e-mail .I cured my diabetes ,about 10 months ago .My blood sugar is now normal.And the one very good thing about it apart from clearing up all the complications i was getting,very frightening .I can eat what i like without any problems.As for Metformin they know what they can do with them as for as i am concerned.

Last edited:
Reactions: urbanracer

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The doctor asked me if i knew i had diabetes.He said i had,had it for 6 months.Shock Horror! I had no idea about it .I felt fine at the time My surgical wound healed up with no problem.I was having routine 6 monthly blood tests and blood pressure checks at the doctors in the UK.Nobody at the surgery told me about it for 6 years
Your horrible experience is by no means unique. GPs are just not taught to prioritise bg and diabetes, they are rather encouraged to concentrate on cholesterol and getting patients onto statins (ignoring completely the little problem that statins tend to raise bg). I didn't come off as badly as you, but I was told nothing about my raised bg A1c tests from 2014 on. It was only in 2017 when my GP sent me to the nurse so that she could persuade me to take statins that I found out. I nearly didn't go, as I knew I wasn't going to take any statins just for slightly raised LDL, when my HDL and trigs were extremely good, but I wanted to show willing, so I went. Instead of trying to sell me statins, the good nurse revealed my A1c results and told me what they mean. She also told me that statins can raise bg. Since then, with the help of the Forum, Jenny Ruhl and Dr Bernstein I have been doing my best to lower my bg but I do wish I could have started a few years earlier.

david1241

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
doctors and dentists.I would not be rude to any.Also i don't like being taken for granted.
Hello .Not so long ago there was an article in an American medical survey .About Metformin.It found that some patients developed severe joint pain after taking it it for a while.Which is not mentioned in the UK information leaflet.As for statins the so-called doctors tried to browbeat me into taking statins.A few years ago .I came home after work .I received a phone call it was the surgery.A woman said we are going to put you an other pill.I said what's that for .she said your cholesterol is high.You will get aches and pains with them .and you will have to have a liver function test.I told her i was getting enough aches a pains as it was..no thank you.I went to see the doctor with my new Accutrend GC meter The cholesterol reading was 6.3 the same as the hospital lab result..My blood sugar reading was 6 mml at the time.He said it was ok.I told him i was not going to take statins .I would try to reduce it myself.So i started eating Benacol type yogurts.Within about 2 or 3 weeks my cholesterol was down to 5.3 which was ok for me.A few years later .The head witch doctor at the malpractice gave me a severe reprimand for not taking the statins and aspirin.I told him i take a cod liver oil and garlic capsule everyday.He never said anything else.The man living next door to me takes statins and Atenolol.He has recently been diagnose with type 2 diabetes.He is very worried about it according to his wife.not without reason.The man living next door to me on the otherside ,was put on statins.24 bours after taking them he got a severe pain in his left leg he was pacing the bedroom in the middle of the night in agony .He went to see his doctor he said it will be the statins caursing the pain .but keep taking them.the pain will go away.I noticed he was limping badly he was ok before he started taking statins.His walking got steadily worse He has recently had a hip replacemet.He is 70 years old and running about like fit 40 year old.A happy ending for him .I hope he does not develop diabetes with taking statins unless of course he's stopped taking them.The conclusion i have come to is try and avoid doctors like the plague.especially when you are elderly like me.I have had excellent treatment on the NHS in the past .I have found after reaching 65 these so-called doctors could not careless.the treatment is virtually non exsistent.you are just fobbed off if it's any more than taking a blood pressure reading.

Last edited:

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello .Not so long ago there was an article in an American medical survey .About Metformin.It found that some patients developed severe joint pain after taking it it for a while.Which is not mentioned in the UK information leaflet.As for statins the so-called doctors tried to browbeat me into taking statins.A few years ago .I came home after work .I received a phone call it was the surgery.A woman said we are going to put you an other pill.I said what's that for .she said your cholesterol is high.You will get aches and pains with them .and you will have to have a liver function test.I told her i was getting enough aches a pains as it was..no thank you.I went to see the doctor with my new Accutrend GC meter The cholesterol reading was 6.3 the same as the hospital lab result..My blood sugar reading was 6 mml at the time.He said it was ok.I told him i was not going to take statins .I would try to reduce it myself.So i started eating Benacol type yogurts.Within about 2 or 3 weeks my cholesterol was down to 5.3 which was ok for me.A few years later .The head witch doctor at the malpractice gave me a severe reprimand for not taking the statins and aspirin.I told him i take a cod liver oil and garlic capsule everyday.He never said anything else.The man living next door to me takes statins and Atenolol.He has recently been diagnose with type 2 diabetes.He is very worried about it according to his wife.not without reason.The man living next door to me on the otherside ,was put on statins.24 bours after taking them he got a severe pain in his left leg he was pacing the bedroom in the middle of the night in agony .He went to see his doctor he said it will be the statins caursing the pain .but keep taking them.the pain will go away.I noticed he was limping badly he was ok before he started taking statins.His walking got steadily worse He has recently had a hip replacemet.He is 70 years old and running about like fit 40 year old.A happy ending for him .I hope he does not develop diabetes with taking statins unless of course he's stopped taking them.The conclusion i have come to is try and avoid doctors like the plague.especially when you are elderly like me.I have had excellent treatment on the NHS in the past .I have found after reaching 65 these so-called doctors could not careless.the treatment is virtually non exsistent.you are just fobbed off if it's any more than taking a blood pressure reading.

My mother seems to be experiencing the "beyond a certain age doctors don't care" thing. A real pity. In some cases the problems are indeed very hard to overcome, e.g. arthritis, but in other cases such as diabetes they really do seem to not put the same effort they would into things if they are treating someone younger.

Anyway, on a brighter note:

The head witch doctor at the malpractice...

I'm having that. I'll try to work that into a conversation some time soon. Thanks :)

leahkian

I have had a few run ins with diabetic doctors over the years but for the last 10 years i have seen a doctor from Newcastle who cannot do enough for me. He give me that light when all i could see was darkness he was the one who pushed for a kidney and pancreas which i will have had 3 years in April. The transplant went well but the damage that the diabetes had done over the years has made life no better but i was one of the unlucky ones. Most of mt treatment is at Newcastle but if i am unwell i have to go to my local hospital in Durham who want to get me sent to Newcastle asap but about 18 months ago i had to stay at Durham and ended up arguing with the nurses who said i was a diabetic, which i am not. It was only 4 weeks ago i went to my GP's who still thought i was a diabetic and i am under 5 different consultants who all come back with the same answer it has been caused by diabetes. So now before i sit down i just ask if its caused by diabetes there is no point in wasting each others time.