what would hba1c be for type 1.5 or 1

Emmz78

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetic Nurses!
I've Just had this test done yesterday and was wondering what it would be to confirm type 1.5 or type 1 out of curiosity.

thanks

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
HbA1c is a measurement of glycated cells taken as an average over the previous 8-12 weeks. It is an indication of glycaemic control. The tests for T1 or T1.5 for a diagnosis are (I beleive) the GAD test and the c Peptide test. So the test you had yesterday is to see how well/poorly your body is dealing with glucose and this measurment is only used as a diagnostic tool (usually done twice) for T2.
People with Diabetes are given the HbA1c test at regular intervals.

Reactions: RichardSp8

Emmz78

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetic Nurses!
HbA1c is a measurement of glycated cells taken as an average over the previous 8-12 weeks. It is an indication of glycaemic control. The tests for T1 or T1.5 for a diagnosis are (I beleive) the GAD test and the c Peptide test. So the test you had yesterday is to see how well/poorly your body is dealing with glucose and this measurment is only used as a diagnostic tool (usually done twice) for T2.
People with Diabetes are given the HbA1c test at regular intervals.

thanks

I was asking as I'm new to all these tests. So how do they know to then check for type 1 then?
I take it there is a reason they do the gad or c peptide so what reason? just curious really.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
thanks

I was asking as I'm new to all these tests. So how do they know to then check for type 1 then?
I take it there is a reason they do the gad or c peptide so what reason? just curious really.

A lot of times the person ends up in A&E after a collapse. Sometimes the T1 tests are ordered by a GP who may find a finger prick test to be so high that it warrants further and faster investigation as an emergency. Along with other symptoms such as sudden unexplained weight loss etc.
T1.5 or LADA can be trickier. Quite a lot are misdiagnosed as T2 at first and are only diagnosed when conventional treatme ts for T2 have little or short term effects, then a GP should order investigative tests but some are slow to action on this.

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Sudden, unexplained weight loss is an indicator along with the blood tests. In my case, at least 4 or 5 stone in the three months before initial diagnosis (hbA1c 140 then 57 3 months later where it stayed for 2 years) and the fact I continued to lose weight steadily for another 4 stone post-diagnosis until my hbA1c began spiralling out of control, then the weight began shifting a bit more rapidly again.

The weight needed to be lost, but there was much emphasis on congratulating me on a reasonable hbA1c which I looked to be keeping stable, and being impressed at my "hard work" on the weight loss, despite my regular uneasy mutterings I wasn't working hard at it at all.

Of course, I was then getting "You are not doing enough with diet and exercise" as things began to deteriorate... Which would've been reasonable if I were truly Type 2 and able to be controlled with diet, meds and exercise. The facts I'd halved my body weight and by then wasn't eating any carbs apart from green veg and only got bloods slightly down by walking 12 - 15 miles in a day passed my then GP by completely.

I do recommend asking for ketones to be checked if all this starts happening. I now have a GP who will never omit this when investigating what is going wrong with someone who has demonstrated reasonable control consistently for any length of time.

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So how do they know to then check for type 1 then

Doctors often look at other factors such as weight, age, family history, ketones and the effectiveness of diet, exercise and type 2 medication.
I think there is more confusion with type 1.5 and type 2. Some people do get misdiagnosed.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
thanks

Hi there- If your Doctor ha done the c-peptide and GAD tests you are being tested to ascertain which type you are. The c-peptide test ascertains if you're still producing insulin of your own, and the second tests for antibodies, which most T1s have, because T1 is an auto-immune condition.

knowlestr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there- If your Doctor ha done the c-peptide and GAD tests you are being tested to ascertain which type you are. The c-peptide test ascertains if you're still producing insulin of your own, and the second tests for antibodies, which most T1s have, because T1 is an auto-immune condition.

Thanks.
I was diagnosed T1 LADA about a year ago, after initially being told was T2. As I did not present as a typical T2 I was considered an anomaly and had the additional tests which confirmed the re-diagnosis. the problem now is that I have been told that there are no support courses to attend and it is a waiting game until the condition changes again. The nurse and doctor don't know how to treat me.

I enjoy cycling. I am fine upto 50miles (2-3 hours of exercise) . at this point I start to struggle. Not being advised as to what is a good energy source I try to avoid the gel sachets and nutrition bar, is that wise or should I be embracing them as I previously did? I have as a matter of interest tested before and after a ride sometimes, and noted a whole number drop, in some instances 2 whole - potentially down to the mid to low 5.s .

is there a source of advice for T1 LADA out there?

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks.
I was diagnosed T1 LADA about a year ago, after initially being told was T2. As I did not present as a typical T2 I was considered an anomaly and had the additional tests which confirmed the re-diagnosis. the problem now is that I have been told that there are no support courses to attend and it is a waiting game until the condition changes again. The nurse and doctor don't know how to treat me.

I enjoy cycling. I am fine upto 50miles (2-3 hours of exercise) . at this point I start to struggle. Not being advised as to what is a good energy source I try to avoid the gel sachets and nutrition bar, is that wise or should I be embracing them as I previously did? I have as a matter of interest tested before and after a ride sometimes, and noted a whole number drop, in some instances 2 whole - potentially down to the mid to low 5.s .

Hi there.

There's a whole T1.5/LADA forum on this site, which you can find here: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/category/type-1-5-lada-diabetes.41/

If you post in there, or better still start yourself a thread in there, I'm sure you'll find lots of helpful members.

Good luck with it all.

Stay healthy

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks.

Hi Did you had your c-peptide results back? We are in a similar situation. We have had our cpeptide results which say - "low insulin for Blood glucose" but not sure exactly what that means as if BG is lowered is it enough insulin? are we Type 1 or Type 2?

Stay healthy

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
thanks

Sorry, did you had a cPeptide test done?