Fasting for Autophagy

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok so thanks @bulkbiker I found this https://www.ketogenicforums.com/t/t...io-for-the-most-weight-loss-fat-burning/32250 and I think it is helpful - read the thread a bit first OMAD stumped me at first but fairly obvious when I googled it made me feel dumb.

OK, so adding in 2 x HIIT a week is optimal according to Berg and the Sprint 8 I like works for that. I still can't find an optimum OMAD pattern as in how many days per week OMAD before a feast day. Anyone have a good cycle for this? Also, Berg seems to state don't count carbs from veg as part of count. Anyone else advocate this?

Last edited:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok so thanks @bulkbiker I found this https://www.ketogenicforums.com/t/t...io-for-the-most-weight-loss-fat-burning/32250 and I think it is helpful - read the thread a bit first OMAD stumped me at first but fairly obvious when I googled it made me feel dumb.

OK, so adding in 2 x HIIT a week is optimal according to Berg and the Sprint 8 I like works for that. I still can't find an optimum OMAD pattern as in how many days per week OMAD before a feast day. Anyone have a good cycle for this?
I think the optimum pattern seems to be to mix it up and not develop a pattern as such. That's my take on it as well as the Fung/Ramos approach which seems to be that variety is best.

Reactions: Ponchu

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think the optimum pattern seems to be to mix it up and not develop a pattern as such. That's my take on it as well as the Fung/Ramos approach which seems to be that variety is best.
Cool so homeostasis is the enemy basically. This has been a very useful few minutes so I can't thank you enough. I enjoyed the learning (and today's feasting which has produced lowest daily average of the week!)

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Cool so homeostasis is the enemy basically. This has been a very useful few minutes so I can't thank you enough. I enjoyed the learning (and today's feasting which has produced lowest daily average of the week!)
Its just great when you find something that works for you.. I just need to get back into the fasting.. have been doing the feasting for the past few months and have gained ...... oooo 3 pounds...must be all that fat and excess calories...

nickm

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Since retiring, I have decided to work towards becoming a world loppet master. In the last year I have done ski marathons in Australia (42km in 2:39) NZ (42km in 2:38) and Japan (50km in 4:02) Apart from coffee with lots of cream, which I love, I can’t see how any of the strange practices in this thread are going to help me. I don’t see any T1 my age getting good results in long ski races up hills in subzero temperatures by depriving themselves of calories. Quite the opposite.

Reactions: ianpspurs

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don’t see any T1 my age getting good results in long ski races up hills in subzero temperatures

Fixed that one for you...I don't think its anything to do with calories.. Maybe they're all in the warm?

Emma_369

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Goonergal thanks for this - really interesting read. Did you attempt a 48hr water fast again? I feel this is something I’d definitely be interested in at least giving a go to see if I benefit from it

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Goonergal thanks for this - really interesting read. Did you attempt a 48hr water fast again? I feel this is something I’d definitely be interested in at least giving a go to see if I benefit from it

Hi there. No I haven’t attempted again - have found fasting much harder since dropping my weight. However, this past couple of weeks on full on carnivore I have been far less hungry and have been thinking about a water fast for a couple of days.

May give it a whirl before the end of January - will let you know. Would you be up for doing it at the same time?

Emma_369

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there. No I haven’t attempted again - have found fasting much harder since dropping my weight. However, this past couple of weeks on full on carnivore I have been far less hungry and have been thinking about a water fast for a couple of days.

May give it a whirl before the end of January - will let you know. Would you be up for doing it at the same time?
I’m actually contemplating doing it now. I had a decent lunch at half 12 as I’m babysitting tonight so planned on not eating anyway this evening. And my husband is out tomorrow evening so I’ve only got to cook for my daughter so would be easy to skip again (unless I’m starving by that point :arghh:) the only thing I’ve drank since my lunch is water and a black coffee which I think reading this thread I’m allowed. So, may as well bite the bullet and just go for it as feels good timing. I’m somewhat of an impulsive person:) If successful I’ll definitely do it again though when you do. Read lots the last hour about the various suggested benefits of ‘resetting’ the body so to speak and I think if I can make it through it something I’d look at doing regularly

Ponchu

Mixing it up in weight training was most successful for me over many years.

I’ve found the same w eating.

Some I know OMAD who lost weight and then stopped losing weight (not a stall) did two meals a day for awhile and lost weight.

The body is really smart.

Emma_369

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Goonergal - did you experience any low sugars when doing this? I’m 23hrs in and am not hungry as yet so fine on that front. Just stood up out my chair at work and went a little woozy - thought I’d check blood and I’m 3.7. Know that in type 2’s non medicated 3’s aren’t particularly a problem but also wondering how low I can in theory let it drop without thinking enough is enough? I feel ok again now so may have just stood up too quick. Wondering if it drops any more should I put a drop of milk in a coffee to try and raise slightly, particularly if it’s that sort of level before bed, or will that completely mess up the idea of reaching autophagy?

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Goonergal - did you experience any low sugars when doing this? I’m 23hrs in and am not hungry as yet so fine on that front. Just stood up out my chair at work and went a little woozy - thought I’d check blood and I’m 3.7. Know that in type 2’s non medicated 3’s aren’t particularly a problem but also wondering how low I can in theory let it drop without thinking enough is enough? I feel ok again now so may have just stood up too quick. Wondering if it drops any more should I put a drop of milk in a coffee to try and raise slightly, particularly if it’s that sort of level before bed, or will that completely mess up the idea of reaching autophagy?

If you're feeling ok, that's fine. Just eat if you start feeling odd. Cream in your coffee would be fine if you're hungry. May interfere with autophagy - it's not really known exactly what does and what doesn't, but Jason Fung allows small amounts of cream or bone broth. You'll still get the other benefits of fasting though.

I quite regularly go down into the 3s even when just intermittent fasting during a day - having not eaten yet today (OMAD today) my BG was 3.7 about an hour ago. Wednesday I was in the 3s most of the day, so if you're feeling OK, that's fine - just listen to your body.

Tagging in @bulkbiker as he's much more knowledgeable than me on this topic.

Great stuff, by the way!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Am I right in thinking this is the first time you are trying this? I remember the first time I tried an extended fast and bloods went down to 3.5.. Was just as you describe a bit woozy and giddy when standing... Have been back there since on more fasts and never really had the same thing although I can usually tell when I'm in the threes...just by the feeling.
If it is your first time then maybe yes have some milk or cream in a coffee to perk you up a bit.
To be 100% honest I always have coffee with cream and tea with lactofree when extended fasting I've never managed a water only fast for longer than about 20 hours.. my caffeine withdrawal is horrendous and I hat black coffee with a vengeance!

Emma_369

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Am I right in thinking this is the first time you are trying this? I remember the first time I tried an extended fast and bloods went down to 3.5.. Was just as you describe a bit woozy and giddy when standing... Have been back there since on more fasts and never really had the same thing although I can usually tell when I'm in the threes...just by the feeling.
If it is your first time then maybe yes have some milk or cream in a coffee to perk you up a bit.
To be 100% honest I always have coffee with cream and tea with lactofree when extended fasting I've never managed a water only fast for longer than about 20 hours.. my caffeine withdrawal is horrendous and I hat black coffee with a vengeance!
Yes this is my first intentional extended fast (done 16/17 hrs on days when been super busy). And so far apart from that one moment I feel good. I’ve drank a lot of water and since 1pm yesterday had 4 black coffees - not my favourite but I’m growing accustomed to it. Think with a smoother blend I’d enjoy it more. Not hungry so far. Think I’m just in a super focused headspace as feel like for the first time in my life I understand my body a bit more and appreciate what it can do if I put my mind to it :)

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes this is my first intentional extended fast (done 16/17 hrs on days when been super busy). And so far apart from that one moment I feel good. I’ve drank a lot of water and since 1pm yesterday had 4 black coffees - not my favourite but I’m growing accustomed to it. Think with a smoother blend I’d enjoy it more. Not hungry so far. Think I’m just in a super focused headspace as feel like for the first time in my life I understand my body a bit more and appreciate what it can do if I put my mind to it :)
Just to add in my experience was on the third day of the fast and it lasted for a very short time.. I think I was back in the 4's within a couple of hours probably after a coffee with cream.

Emma_369

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just to add in my experience was on the third day of the fast and it lasted for a very short time.. I think I was back in the 4's within a couple of hours probably after a coffee with cream.
Well I’ve checked again and back to a round 4.0 so less concerned now. Think it was just that initial panic of seeing a 3.7 as that’s the lowest I’ve been since diagnosis and needed some reassurance with it all being still relatively new to me. And thankfully I’ve only got till tomorrow to get through. 48hrs will take me to 1pm tomorrow although if get there fine realistically I’ll hang on till my evening meal to eat as am busy at work anyway so will end up being around 54hr fast. Which I’d more than happy with for my first go

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I’ve checked again and back to a round 4.0 so less concerned now. Think it was just that initial panic of seeing a 3.7 as that’s the lowest I’ve been since diagnosis and needed some reassurance with it all being still relatively new to me. And thankfully I’ve only got till tomorrow to get through. 48hrs will take me to 1pm tomorrow although if get there fine realistically I’ll hang on till my evening meal to eat as am busy at work anyway so will end up being around 54hr fast. Which I’d more than happy with for my first go
That's great... but as with everything if you feel ill at any point then please eat something.. you have the rest of your life to practice fasting do don't go too hard too fast. It's more something to build up to slowly.

Emma_369

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That's great... but as with everything if you feel ill at any point then please eat something.. you have the rest of your life to practice fasting do don't go too hard too fast. It's more something to build up to slowly.
Most definitely will if I feel at all out of sorts. Thank you for your advice!