I'm new and in denial!

esselle

Hi there :)
I too have only just joined this forum and was in the same situation as you two years ago when my son was diagnosed just a few days after his 8th birthday.
Im sure there will be lots of lovely people with great advice who will answer any questions you will no doubt have along the way, but all i can say from personal experience is that after initial diagnosis my son also was extremely sensitive to his insulin and had frequent hypos which i now realise was down to the fact that he was in the 'honeymoon' period where his insulin making cells were still making some of their own insulin ~ this of course stops after some time when the cells die off altogether.
You are bound to have lots of worries in the early days ~ i still do now!
Don't be afraid to share your concerns with your daughter's diabetes team.

annettekp

Hi

It can take a while to get levels sorted and the insulin right. We had 6 weeks of blood sugar levels between 10-20 as we battled to get it sorted at the start.

It is not easy to get your head round it all. As Eselle says speak and share with your diabetes team - that's what they are there for and don't be afraid to go in with a huge list of questions.

You haven't mentioned if you are carb counting and that is one thing which could really help.

Annette

pebbles22

Hi

I can really emptahsise with you, it is very difficult in the beginning but please beleive me it does get better as time goes on. My son is 5 and was diagnosed when he was 3 1/2 we went through a rough time at first but slowly this has become part of our lives and our little boy just gets on with it now. He is on Humalog mix 25 which is 75 % slow acting and 25 % fast acting, it seems to be suiting him quite well at the moment, but please remember as your child grows her insulin needs will change and it can take some time to get it right.

Hope all goes well

pplprincess5480

Hi,

My daughter was diagnosed last April when she was three and a half and I'm still coming to terms with it really. Lottie quite regularly announce that she doesn't want dietbettys anymore. The advantage of being diagnosed young is soon they won't remember any different. To us that seems mean but it's kinder to them.

Unfortunately nothing we say will make your little girl's diabetes go away but knowing that others are having the same struggles and are available for you to whinge to can really help. It really will get easier as you get used to the new routines and you all adjust to the diagnosis. One of things that helped me was to think that at least it is a treatable illness and that when controlled our children can live a happy, healthy life.

I hope I've helped, feel free to PM me if you need a sympathetic ear.

ams162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
hiya

my son is 8 and has been diabetic for 4 years and we still dont have perfect control, everyone is different and coming to terms with diabetes is hard with all the information u are given. Its so hard to watch ur child go through all of this and it breaks my heart still that dylan has to do all of this but it does make me even more proud of him coping with it all so well.

we do carb count and currently use levemir and rapid, however dylan is going to get a pump on mon so things will be changing again soon with another learning curve on the way lol. we all go through similar things and everyone is here to help dont be afraid to ask anything someone will have an answer
good luck
anna marie

leggott

I have the same problem as you with tea and bed time. We like to wait at about 3 hours after their tea time injection before they go to bed. So I aim to feed by 5pm and sometimes as early as 4.30pm. it doesn't always work out like that as there is so much going on after school having 3 children. We then do a blood check before bed and have a small carb snack depending on their reading at bedtime. if their blood is about 8mmol, then they don't have any carbs just some cheese or ham if they are a bit hungry.

For me being in a routine does help, but I do have 2 children with type 1 to deal with. It is hard at times and sometimes we go through periods like you where we are all worn out and other times where is just becomes part of our lives.

I hope things get better for you soon and that you can get back to some kind of normality.

ams162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
hello again,
please dont worry about the coeliac thing until u know for sure we were told dylan carried the antibodies in his blood and went in for a endoscopy to know for sure it all came back normal, i have been told recently the chances of him getting it are very small now so all the worry i went through was kind of for nothing, we still have to keep an eye out for the symptoms and if they do appear we will have to go in again.

when we were told we rushed out bought a bread maker that made coeliac breads and examined the shelves in the local supermarket for what was available, i know how u feel as i felt my world had ended how could my poor little man be unlucky enough to be diagnosed with 2 illnesses in a short space of time life seemed so unfair. anyway as i said it all turned out ok and if he ever does develop it we will deal with it at the time, although now we have a handle on the diabetes abit and do the carb counting i cant see it being as much as a problem as i could before but dont get me wrong i would still prefer he didnt get it in the first place
good luck with ur results i hope u are as lucky as we were
anna marie

leggott

Hi Twisty, sorry to hear this. We were in the same boat over Xmas as my son had to have a biopsy. Likes ams162 son, my little boy also had the antibodies in his blood but had no symptoms. We were told that the chance of a positive result was about 50/50. Luckily for us, the result was negative too.

I hope you get the same results as we did. leggott