Temper tantrums

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Resurgam, As my sugars are normally higher in the morning (dawn phenomenon) I normally try to eat least carbs with my breakfast then allow myself a little more throughout the day. I will give it a go though!
Only your meter can tell you what is right for you - but so many things with diabetes run counter to accepted thinking....

Emmasndco

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Your diet sounds great. Good for you. Not sure about the energy bar tho? I'm pretty new to a low carb diet; but so far when I do stick with it, as you are, I do really well. Notice when I eat fish, not red meat, my BG levels are really good. BUT I do get super crabby at times. And hate myself for it afterwards!!! I think it’s when I don’t eat regularly. Noticed if I don’t eat soon enough in the morning and am feeling stressed it becomes a lethal combo!! Early morning, I drink a pot of tea with milk that gives me just enough protein to limp along I think...and I can forget to actually eat anything for 4 or 5 hours after waking (immersed in email)!! So now I have a handful of almonds to keep me on an even keel and have my protein shake sooner.

And I agree with others.... if testing often is helping you get a handle on your specific situation and enabling you to monitor your reaction to diet and life...go for it. And keeping a good record of food and mood a great plan.... going to start today and include my exercise too. Thanks to all...
Thanks Linhil, I think some of mine could be when I’m feeling tired and fatigued. I’m a bit like you in the mornings... I have a tea before I go to work and then usually eat breakfast a few hours later. My stress levels definitely go up as the day goes on. I have more tantrums in the evenings or if I have to do something under pressure it all soon becomes too much. I use the carbs and Cals app to record my food and exercise etc.

Emmasndco

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
High blood pressure can give short temper...., in some.
When was your blood pressure checked last?
Thanks for the idea, but my blood pressure has been normal the last few times I’ve had it checked.

Emmasndco

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I learned about mood swings and diabetes from one of my staff, a few years back. He didn't know how unpleasant he was to work with. I took him aside for an attitude discussion and the impact on his team/customers. As a result of that conversation I was introduced to diabetes and its impact on emotions, without the person knowing how they were reacting/behaving. (I did some research and worked out a plan of action for him that improved both his reactions to his fellow workers, and customers, successfully.)
When I was diagnosed with T2 last May, I recalled those conversations and hoped I wouldn't be impacted. But I was - as my loving and patient hubby pointed out on many occasions.
Now I'm (hopefully) more aware of my reactions/behaviours - and when I hear myself being rude or negative, just act/pretend to be cheerful and upbeat.
I've now got my hubby fooled as he now rarely knows when I'm moody/depressed (and he watches me like a hawk as he's terrified of the negative impacts of diabetes, and is determined to keep me alive and healthy indefinately!)
For me it's being very aware of mood swings, and to be aware of others' reactions to me, and modify behaviour accordingly. Sometimes it's a challenge, as last weekend, where I had to keep forcing a happy smile all day, being and saying positive things etc. But then isn't some of living life acting? Just for those of us with the mood issues, it means a little more acting that normal.
I wish you the best in this challenge - one of the smaller ones in the journey that is diabetes.
Thanks Jeannie, really helpful advice, I need to be able to pre-empt it. Sadly I realise what I’m doing when it’s too late. It’s really refreshing to hear that you have experienced it from both sides. I spoke to my pooor bf last night and he feels like he is constantly waiting for me to explode.

Emmasndco

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Emmasndco - it may not be the diabetes that's effecting you. I go off like a rocket and been called a "volcano lady" when I'm really bad. Have even picked up a chair and thrown it at the other half for being sarcastic. Equally I can go completely the other way and end up in a pile on the floor. My partner and I went to the GP together, we got to talk about things - it came down to a number of things, but worrying about the diabetes / weight was one of them. Because of the stress I actually don't test (leave the checks to the nurse) as constantly looking at the numbers just adds to the stress, making me worse. I also take a very small dose of Citalopram to help, it is not addictive and does not zonk you out
I hate to admit it, but you may be right... I’ve been doing a lot of thinking over the past few days. I have thrown a laptop . This is how I have been previously when my blood sugars have been high. But it’s different this time, they are relatively stable and my weight is one of the biggest issues in my head at the moment. I feel guilty every time I eat. But I think the go has caused some of the issues. My GP said he was going to refer me to a dietitian as I mentioned I couldn’t lose weight despite eating low carb and going to the gym three times a week. I was fine about being referred to a dietitian, but when the letter came through he had referred be to an obesity clinic - not what I had signed up for. It’s this referral which has set me off for the last six weeks or so.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I hate to admit it, but you may be right... I’ve been doing a lot of thinking over the past few days. I have thrown a laptop . This is how I have been previously when my blood sugars have been high. But it’s different this time, they are relatively stable and my weight is one of the biggest issues in my head at the moment. I feel guilty every time I eat. But I think the go has caused some of the issues. My GP said he was going to refer me to a dietitian as I mentioned I couldn’t lose weight despite eating low carb and going to the gym three times a week. I was fine about being referred to a dietitian, but when the letter came through he had referred be to an obesity clinic - not what I had signed up for. It’s this referral which has set me off for the last six weeks or so.
Sorry did you answer about having your blood pressure checked with a chemist or gp?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Thanks for the idea, but my blood pressure has been normal the last few times I’ve had it checked.
Sorry. Just seen this.
Tiredness can make anyone grouchy. Some personalities need help to calm down. My partner is on citalipram too. It helps him keep calm from his anger about his brothers death.
Maybe you need some mental health support too?

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You sound as if you are doing all the right things including the gym habit !
It is a well known thing that coping with a long term chronic condition can cause mood disorders. As well as the atress of managing it all don't forget that if you are going hyper then your cells are getting very little energy and this bound to affect your ability to tolerate life's irritations. Similar but different with lows.
Maybe there ought to be a support group for the spouses and partners of diabetics here!

Bigmoose

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being persecuted for not being as well as I once was!
I can empathise wholly! I have always been the gentlest most laid back kind of guy until diagnosed with T2 about 5 years ago. My job makes it near impossible to eat properly and regularly. Despite being in UK government as a civil servant we are pressurised on time to the point of bullying, and regularly have to give up our unpaid breaks in order to catch up following unexpected events. I also have to have hydrocortisone injections for arthritis and a side effect of this is to mess up my BG control which I worked so hard to achieve over 5 years.
Point is, as stress rises and BG control slides, my temper has become positively volcanic! Minor annoyances have led to items being literally thrown and destroyed. Once or twice I have realised after the event that I was probably in danger of seriously physically hurting people foolish enough to choose to have a go at me. This feeling of being totally out of control of my actions scares me a lot!

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I can empathise wholly! I have always been the gentlest most laid back kind of guy until diagnosed with T2 about 5 years ago. My job makes it near impossible to eat properly and regularly. Despite being in UK government as a civil servant we are pressurised on time to the point of bullying, and regularly have to give up our unpaid breaks in order to catch up following unexpected events. I also have to have hydrocortisone injections for arthritis and a side effect of this is to mess up my BG control which I worked so hard to achieve over 5 years.
Point is, as stress rises and BG control slides, my temper has become positively volcanic! Minor annoyances have led to items being literally thrown and destroyed. Once or twice I have realised after the event that I was probably in danger of seriously physically hurting people foolish enough to choose to have a go at me. This feeling of being totally out of control of my actions scares me a lot!
My partner isn't diabetic and his stress and anxiety caused him huge fare ups. His medication does help. It helps him keep his family. Sad, but true.
Maybe time to see your gp about it?

Emmasndco

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks BigMoose, I really hope things improve for you. I think stress and pressure is what is causing some of my issues although mine isn’t work related, more weight and medical professionals making me feel bad about myself. I have started seeing a therapist and shared some of my issues with friends which has made me able to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Try talking to different people, I’ve found some are really understanding and others haven’t a clue where I’m coming from. My temper tantrums are when I have so much stuff going round in my head that I can’t cope with an incoming message... there is no room in my brain for further information. I have now started to stop what I am doing and write things down that are on my mind as soon as I can’t concentrate on things so I can park them and explore them later.

Sue192

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks BigMoose, I really hope things improve for you. I think stress and pressure is what is causing some of my issues although mine isn’t work related, more weight and medical professionals making me feel bad about myself. I have started seeing a therapist and shared some of my issues with friends which has made me able to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Try talking to different people, I’ve found some are really understanding and others haven’t a clue where I’m coming from. My temper tantrums are when I have so much stuff going round in my head that I can’t cope with an incoming message... there is no room in my brain for further information. I have now started to stop what I am doing and write things down that are on my mind as soon as I can’t concentrate on things so I can park them and explore them later.
That's a really good idea to write things down so you can put them aside for a while, @Emmasndco. Just the act of writing can be a calming exercise. I would also endorse punching the stuffing (well, metaphorically speaking!) out of a punch bag, or do some sparring with someone at your gym - I found that fantastic for getting rid of tension and stress. You could imagine the person/thing that is getting to you, like those medical professionals, is the punch bag but careful with a sparring partner! It's a terrific upper arm/body workout too, as @Sparrow456 says, so a bonus. Great to hear that you can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

midwife64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
When my sugars are high I am extremely irritable and very intolerant and impatient
Once blood sugars settle I am back to my calm and reasonable self
Lucky to have a very understanding hubby and family

Reactions: Emmasndco