Weekly weigh in - Fridays

ToveyKath

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello All,

I’d like to join you all please. I have just had a shock, weighed myself and I am 12 st 12.5 lbs, so I have a minimum of 4 stones to lose. I am attempting to eat a LCHF diet.

Welcome & good luck! I’ve been doing lchf in the form of blood sugar diet & have lost 2 stone so far.... approx 6 to go but will refine as I go along when I have a better idea what a healthy weight means for me. I love the lchf way of eating - didn’t think I would so pleasantly surprised.

Polgara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @polgaria - 8 stone, that is incredible! Can I ask roughly what percentage of your daily intake was/is fats/carbs/protein?

No idea on the % I'm afraid as I don't track that way :)

Basically I'm not eating any starchy carbs - apart from the overnight oats I have most days for breakfast (made with almond milk and fat free yoghurt) Other meals involve lots of veg or salad with lean meat. Some fruit every day - maybe 3 or 4 portions. Treats are rare - though now I'm not trying to lose any more I do have more :)

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No idea on the % I'm afraid as I don't track that way :)

Basically I'm not eating any starchy carbs - apart from the overnight oats I have most days for breakfast (made with almond milk and fat free yoghurt) Other meals involve lots of veg or salad with lean meat. Some fruit every day - maybe 3 or 4 portions. Treats are rare - though now I'm not trying to lose any more I do have more :)
Thanks - love hearing what has worked for people. I'm similar to you in the one starchy carb I allow myself is oats, in the form of the odd oatcake.

deb1960

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorant, homophobic, racist people
Different weight loss methods work for different people carty: I lost 5 stone with weight watchers several years ago (before piling it all back on again after becoming a helper & getting sloppy about how I portioned things out) - & when I tried again I wasn't in the right head space - I think that's the most important thing really, you have to be focused and be prepared to weather the ups and downs. For me I've found the blood sugar diet a real inspiration - & believe it will not only help me lose weight but also reduce my hba1c results. Also, I've always begrudged the fact that I have to pay for someone to weigh me & the literature etc changes all the time so you have to keep purchasing new books. I know people who've found Weight Watchers & Slimming World great, but I prefer Michael Mosley's blood sugar diet. I wish you good luck & whatever you decide you'll have support here
I totally agree with you regarding being in the right headspace to change your diet. I joined slimming world a couple of years ago after starting to use insulin and steroids. The first week in lost 2lb, the 2nd week I stayed the same and the 3rd week I gained 4lb! At that point I gave up. This time I am doing it for my health. I was injecting 120 units of insulin daily but my BS were still going up. I thought briefly about seeing the dn to add in yet more medication...after all we're told that diabetes is a progressive disease so increasing medication was inevitable. I saw Michael Mosley talking about reversing or at least decreasing diabetes and it was like a light bulb had gone off in my head and I immediately ordered his blood sugar book and started lchf on the 6th of January this year. I have lost 2 stone but more importantly I have stopped using insulin!
I think that gp's and nurses are frightened to tell us how important it is to lose weight to help with diabetes which isn't doing any of us any favours.
I have only lost half a pound this week but I am not discouraged ☺

ToveyKath

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I totally agree with you regarding being in the right headspace to change your diet. I joined slimming world a couple of years ago after starting to use insulin and steroids. The first week in lost 2lb, the 2nd week I stayed the same and the 3rd week I gained 4lb! At that point I gave up. This time I am doing it for my health. I was injecting 120 units of insulin daily but my BS were still going up. I thought briefly about seeing the dn to add in yet more medication...after all we're told that diabetes is a progressive disease so increasing medication was inevitable. I saw Michael Mosley talking about reversing or at least decreasing diabetes and it was like a light bulb had gone off in my head and I immediately ordered his blood sugar book and started lchf on the 6th of January this year. I have lost 2 stone but more importantly I have stopped using insulin!
I think that gp's and nurses are frightened to tell us how important it is to lose weight to help with diabetes which isn't doing any of us any favours.
I have only lost half a pound this week but I am not discouraged

That’s fantastic! Just goes to show that with some good advice and a positive mindset, we can take control back - what an inspiration to us all!

Reactions: Prem51

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
[QUOTE="deb1960, post: 1728562, member: 245847"I have only lost half a pound this week but I am not discouraged ☺[/QUOTE]
@deb1960 No need for any discouragement - British cycling was successful on marginal gains and Al Pacino gave a famous inch by inch speech in the film Any given Sunday. Chairman Mao, a journey of a 10000 Li starts with one footstep. Could go on but you get the idea!

Last edited:

peony50

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you all for the welcomes. Please excuse me for not replying earlier but I am feeling absolutely exhausted, not sure if it is because of higher readings, today’s was 15.3, or my fibromyalgia. Anyway, going to ensure I eat very low carb, not even going to have the low carb bread. Once I wake up fully, I will look forward to catching up properly with all the chat.

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@peony50 welcome. I find it easier to do without bread than to eat the low carb bread. When I eat the low carb bread it seems to lead me into eating other things I shouldn’t. I like your name. I love the flowers of peonies.

Reactions: ianpspurs

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Two post holiday shocks
First one a very hairy landing on the plane into uk not long before midnight last night - felt a bit like Santa on his way to deliver the pressies! The plane lights made the blizzard outside sparkle like a trail of diamonds - unreal! Very bumpy journey and trudge to the snow covered car feeling very inappropriately dressed! And then a very perilous drive home made it but sugars up this am must be the stress reactions,
Other shock this morning - every holiday I’ve been on in my life has led to a half stone gain at least! So went on scales very gingerly - especially as ate breakfast each day when I don’t usually and had my second shock - another pound off! It may have been dehydration from flying as had leg cramps in night but hopeful will have stayed maintenance by next Friday.
Well done to all you losers and maintainers it’s a new way of life! Let’s hope we all have a good week and the weather picks up it drove me to a glass of red wine and cheese on my return home in the early hours!

Reactions: Prem51

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Two post holiday shocks
First one a very hairy landing on the plane into uk not long before midnight last night - felt a bit like Santa on his way to deliver the pressies! The plane lights made the blizzard outside sparkle like a trail of diamonds - unreal! Very bumpy journey and trudge to the snow covered car feeling very inappropriately dressed! And then a very perilous drive home made it but sugars up this am must be the stress reactions,
Other shock this morning - every holiday I’ve been on in my life has led to a half stone gain at least! So went on scales very gingerly - especially as ate breakfast each day when I don’t usually and had my second shock - another pound off! It may have been dehydration from flying as had leg cramps in night but hopeful will have stayed maintenance by next Friday.
Well done to all you losers and maintainers it’s a new way of life! Let’s hope we all have a good week and the weather picks up it drove me to a glass of red wine and cheese on my return home in the early hours!
Well done @shelley262. :)

Reactions: ianpspurs

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So went on scales very gingerly - especially as ate breakfast each day when I don’t usually and had my second shock - another pound off!
@shelley262 sounds like an interesting return home. The weight loss may be the body leaving comfort zone. Did you test bg while away as I did in Cyprus in November and was pleasantly surprised?

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@shelley262 sounds like an interesting return home. The weight loss may be the body leaving comfort zone. Did you test bg while away as I did in Cyprus in November and was pleasantly surprised?
Hi I didn’t this time round because I wasn’t testing out food or a place we could eat regularly while at home. Would imagine being on holiday that it would be lower I definitely do get bg rises after stress and thought that may just stress me out more so had my first ever short break from bg testing after a six month period of religiously recording my numbers whilst adapting my way of eating.
Return felt very unreal it is supposed to be nearly spring right??

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Not soya - just almond milk. I discovered it at Nursery as one of the children has to have it due to allergies. There are sweetened and unsweetened versions - obviously unsweetened is the way to go for us :)
I was using soya with almond but lost no weight. To discover my thyroid doesn't work well on soya.
I'll have a look next week. On big shop to see if affordable.
Thanks for clarifying. ;)

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My weight today was 70.5 Kg. It was 71.3 Kg a week ago. It seems to have stabilised in the 70 Kg region, whereas it had plateaued in the 71 Kg region before. :)

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all. 0.3kg loss this week. Creeping downwards. Half a centimetre off my chest and a similar amount off the ‘muffin top’!

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all 11 St 11.6 Lbs this am - about 2Lbs up from last week but this date last year was 12St 3 so I have wintered better this time. I have understood dietary management better. Last week was exceptional - 2 days of OMAD @ under 1200 cals before big refeed involving lots of chocolate, cream and homemade pork scratchings.
Take care folks spring is in the air.

Last edited: