Please help confused

shez

My morning test was 9.2 this morning had beef chicken and cheese for breakfast 2 hours later it’s gone up to 11.2, can’t figure out why as no sugar or carbs
This happens most mornings then by lunch time it’s down to between 5 & 7 then stays like that for the rest of the day going down to 4 at times

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Protein. Gluconeogenesis will convert protein to glucose.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Protein. Gluconeogenesis will convert protein to glucose.
Yup. Or dawn-effect / feet on the floor effect. (both the liver dumping glucose in your bloodstream. With dawn effect it does so at about the same time each day in the early morning, feet on the floor happens at the moment you get up. The liver seems to think you'll need the extra energy. Very annoying.)

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
So is there any way of combating this as all my other numbers are good just this one
If is is gluconeogenesis less protein at breakfast.
For dawn phenomenon possibly some cheese before bed.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Gliclizide doesn't need food to work. It solely increases the production of insulin from the pancreas.

So it will eventually keep your bgs down but not necessarily after food consumption. Spikes still occur and the risk of hypos are there due to insulin.
Your team need to explain why this is OK for you and your diabetes.
Myself; gliclizide stopped working at all. My bgs were near and into 30s after eating. I was having side affects from high bgs. I was put on mixed insulin as not even metformin did anything. I was having a diabetic burn out.
On preparing for an op I was swopped to separate insulins for better control which was to aid my weight loss and stop so many units of insulin needed. I need over 300units of insulin per day. With Toujeo300 basal (like your insulatard) I rely on basal to steady my bgs through the day and night, even with or without food. Otherwise I'd still be in 30s.
What reduces my novarapid units is low carb food. Hence why I only need 60units per day. I'd like to stop it.
I think my basal need is hugely due to my weight and immobility.... and stress.
I'm looking to have bariatric surgery this year to reduce my morbidly obese body. This should help with a few of my ill health side affects.