How are people bolusing for protein??

O_DP_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Some places say apply your usual insulin:carb ratio to 50% of the carbs consumed for that meal e.g.:

If my insulin:carb = 1:5

And my meal is 45g Carbs 25g Fat and 60g Protein I would need to take the following:-

For the carbs 4.5 x 1.5 = around 7u PLUS for the protein 3 x 1 = 4.5u

Soo a total of 11.5u (I would round that up)

Does this sound right?

Sorry if this an obvious question but have only been on MDI for about 2months after 30 years plus on 30/70 twice daily injections so still learning.

D

Deleted Account

Everyone is different but I find I only need to bolus for protein when I have no carbs (e.g. an omelette).
If I have any carbs with my meal, I don't find the protein affects my BG.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
I have never bolused for protein. 46 years T1D

Reactions: kaylz91

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you been bolusing for protein for the last 2 months at all?

I only ask as some people don't need to but others might, your more likely to need to bolus for protein if you aren't having very many carbs in your meal but then it can be difficult to judge how much and when to take as protein converts at a much slower rate than carbs xx

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've just eaten a 160g tin of tuna (112g drained the can says) and a 16g slice of wholemeal bread for lunch as my sugar was dropping a little from work, if my blood had been a bit higher or trending up I'd just have eaten the tuna and not expected to see a rise, but then again we're all different :)

O_DP_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes I have been using the formula I posted above it's probably completely wrong, but levels are kind of stable-ish most times. Oh just to mention I took a fixed dose on the 30/70 so may all that insulin acted like a 'protein bolus dose' so never took any extra.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I’ve only needed to bolus for protein since going keto. The liver only converts protein into sugar if there’s too little carbohydrate. I’m bolusing for half the equivalent carbs.

Reactions: Cazz

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@O_DP_T1 wow I'm surprised with all that insulin flowing around you aren't hypoing left, right and centre, I certainly would be as would many of us here!
What are your levels like?
Give a sample of the kinds of things you like or have to eat x

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If my insulin:carb = 1:5
For the carbs 4.5 x 1.5 = around 7u PLUS for the protein 3 x 1 = 4.5u
Now, I'm not trying to be picky, but ~7u for 45 carbs is not a 1:5 ratio, its closer to 1:7 (or more exactly it's 3:20 if you are times-ing your carbs by 1.5/10) -- sorry my maths brain often kicks in :)

wow I'm surprised with all that insulin flowing around you aren't hypoing left, right and centre, I certainly would be as would many of us here!
Everyone is different though :), I'm usually on a 1:5 ratio, but don't take into consideration any protein.

Kirbster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve only needed to bolus for protein since going keto. The liver only converts protein into sugar if there’s too little carbohydrate. I’m bolusing for half the equivalent carbs.
I'm similar to this. I used to only inject for carbs before going keto, but now that I follow the keto way of eating I have to pretty much inject the same amount for protein that I used to for carbs.

Reactions: LooperCat