baked beans sugar level

static192

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi i wanted to ask does baked bean affect your sugar levels make your sugar rise at all seems it dosent affect mines

Reactions: Barbara93

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes it does, I tend to have a small can that has about 20 carbs in it and it does spike but comes down fairly quickly.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Affects mine now but didnt earlier on in my diabetes journey

daemoncor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Onions.
When I was first diagnosed, baked beans & chocolate (I know!) didn't seem to affect me.
However, now they do :( I do 1 unit of Novorapid for every 3 grams of Carbohydrates I eat, so beans are always included in my injections.

x

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
hi i wanted to ask does baked bean affect your sugar levels make your sugar rise at all seems it dosent affect mines
Different people can eat different things if they do not raise you then that's fine

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It depends on whether it's the standard type loaded with added sugar or the low-sugar variety

JRW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When I was first diagnosed, baked beans & chocolate (I know!) didn't seem to affect me.
However, now they do :( I do 1 unit of Novorapid for every 3 grams of Carbohydrates I eat, so beans are always included in my injections.

x

Interesting, i only use 1 unit of Novorapid for every 10g of carbs. I do 38 units of Levemir daily though.

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I used to bolus for beans but years later I went hypo every time I had beans, so I stopped bolussing for them.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Normal Heinz Beans 12.5% carbs of which 4.7% sugar.
No Added Sugar Heinz Beans 9.5% carbs of which 1.9% sugar.

daemoncor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Onions.
Interesting, i only use 1 unit of Novorapid for every 10g of carbs. I do 38 units of Levemir daily though.

Wish my bolus was that low! I'm currently experimenting between 2 for every 3 - 4g, but I take 28 units of Levemir at night, previously 58!

badmedisin

DAFNE advises that the actual beans don't raise your BG but the sugar in the sauce does, so you should calculate dose based on the "of which sugars" bit of the carb amount.

Personally that doesn't work for me at all and even stuff with no carbs raises my BG.

I guess everyone's different... ;)