IBS

Rianna0210

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi everyone!

Just wondering whether anyone else has Type 1 Diabetes and IBS aswell. I’ve been struggling with IBS since October last year and I am in the middle of quite a bad flare up. I take peppermint oil capsules 3 times a day every day but I am still struggling particularly with the pain.

Does anyone have any tips to reduce pain and what works for them?
Also any tips on how to manage both conditions particularly when you have no appetite due to being blocked up and feeling sick.

Thank you

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I've been given buscupan tablets and advised to take ibuprofen. Hospital advised pregabalin 50mg x 3 daily.
Buscupan replaced with its generic but still working but wind still obvious thou.

Do you take metformin too?

Reactions: Rianna0210

Rianna0210

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I've been given buscupan tablets and advised to take ibuprofen. Hospital advised pregabalin 50mg x 3 daily.
Buscupan replaced with its generic but still working but wind still obvious thou.

Do you take metformin too?

I didn’t think we were allowed to take ibuprofen due to increased risk of kidney problems? I can’t remember where I heard that though!

I haven’t actually been officially diagnosed with it but I have a doctors appointment next week to get it confirmed.

No I had to come off it as it decreased my sugars too much

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I didn’t think we were allowed to take ibuprofen due to increased risk of kidney problems? I can’t remember where I heard that though!

I haven’t actually been officially diagnosed with it but I have a doctors appointment next week to get it confirmed.

Ibuprofen is not good for heart disease sufferers, I understand. GP put me on it and I doubled checked ok due to being diabetic. I have mild heart disease.

I'm sure metformin hasn't cause your upset tummy but some would argue it can harm the gut.
I'm on a PPI to stop acide reflux.

I read an article last night saying bloating, berping and excess wind after eating can be due to too much stomach acid or too little.
I'm just over an infection.

Im just struggling with pelvic/back pain but most likely due to bulging disc.
I'm always in pain. :(

rab5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My Diabetic nurse
Hi everyone!

Just wondering whether anyone else has Type 1 Diabetes and IBS aswell. I’ve been struggling with IBS since October last year and I am in the middle of quite a bad flare up. I take peppermint oil capsules 3 times a day every day but I am still struggling particularly with the pain.

Does anyone have any tips to reduce pain and what works for them?
Also any tips on how to manage both conditions particularly when you have no appetite due to being blocked up and feeling sick.

Thank you
Found this my daughter has similar issues

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/benefits/ibs

regards

Reactions: Rianna0210

Rianna0210

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Ibuprofen is not good for heart disease sufferers, I understand. GP put me on it and I doubled checked ok due to being diabetic. I have mild heart disease.

I'm sure metformin hasn't cause your upset tummy but some would argue it can harm the gut.
I'm on a PPI to stop acide reflux.

I read an article last night saying bloating, berping and excess wind after eating can be due to too much stomach acid or too little.
I'm just over an infection.

Im just struggling with pelvic/back pain but most likely due to bulging disc.
I'm always in pain. :(

I’m sorry that you’re suffering! Hopefully when I go to the docs tomorrow I can get some medication

I definitely suffer with reflux which is fun but fingers crossed I can get some answers tomorrow!

Thank you for your advice!

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies

People with existing kidney disease has to avoid some meds, I believe.

lindijanice

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hey @Rianna0210 sorry to hear about your issues. I am T2 but have suffered from IBS for 20+years.....miserable beast it is.....can really play havoc with life in every aspect....hope you can get some definitive answers tomorrow. You might also want to look into the FODMAP diet for IBS - many sites online. Research was done at Monash University in Australia - their website is good too. It certainly helps to limit or eliminate the offending foods, but I have found not 100% successful for myself. Others have wonderful results. However, combining it with low carb eating I have some days with little problems.....You'll have to be careful if you do decide to low carb with your insulin and all....there are some T1s who are successfully eating low carb here on the Forum - @Mel dCP is one of them....hope that helps a bit. Blessings/L

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Afternoon! Thanks for tagging me, @lindijanice - I don’t have much experience of IBS, and I’ve only been low carbing a couple of months so I’m no expert on it. But I did have to reduce my insulin drastically, my bolus almost immediately as I wasn’t eating anything much that needed it, so went straight from 8-10 units with a bowl of pasta to maybe one unit with a very low carb meal. I had a lot of hypos over the course of the first two or three weeks, and reduced my Lantus from 18 units twice a day to ten - I’m now on 18 units of Tresiba once a day. If you are going to reduce your carb intake, I’d recommend doing it gradually, rather than in one fell swoop - I took the bull in a china shop approach and felt dreadful for a few days. Have a look in the low carb forum too x

Reactions: ickihun

rab5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My Diabetic nurse
Yes very much so imho

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I’m sorry that you’re suffering! Hopefully when I go to the docs tomorrow I can get some medication

I definitely suffer with reflux which is fun but fingers crossed I can get some answers tomorrow!

Thank you for your advice!
How did you get on with gp appointment @Rianna0210?