10 year old son was diagnosed with T1D 1 month ago.

IC_81

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, our 10 year old son was diagnosed with T1D 1 month ago. Definitely a lot to process for him and us, but we’re managing. So many great resources and information available which has been a big help. Working through correct insulin levels when playing sports, etc. Hoping a cure is found in the near future.

Reactions: Juicyj

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, our 10 year old son was diagnosed with T1D 1 month ago. Definitely a lot to process for him and us, but we’re managing. So many great resources and information available which has been a big help. Working through correct insulin levels when playing sports, etc. Hoping a cure is found in the near future.

Hello there @IC_81 ,

Welcome to the forum.

Would you like me or a member of the moderator team to move & create your own thread topic with your post?
It would be more productive for you & your son with regards to any queries on insulin use for your lad..

Kind regards.

J>

IC_81

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello there @IC_81 ,

Welcome to the forum.

Would you like me or a member of the moderator team to move & create your own thread topic with your post?
It would be more productive for you & your son with regards to any queries on insulin use for your lad..

Kind regards.

J>
Hi J, yes that would be great - Thanks!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi J, yes that would be great - Thanks!

Great!
All done for you, your own thread.. :)

Could you give a little information on what insulin regime your son is on?

billybadger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi, my 13 year old daughter was diagnosed in January. We were able to hit the ground running a bit, as I was diagnosed 5 years ago so know the drill, but the lifestyle of a teen is very different from mine so still a steep learning curve! We are getting there though :)

IC_81

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Great!
All done for you, your own thread.. :)

Could you give a little information on what insulin regime your son is on?
Yes he’s on the multiple daily injection program - novorapid with each meal and lantis as his basal. He’s very active, plays a lot of sports so we’re concentrating on fending off the lows. Got him a Freestyle Libre which has helped a lot in terms of identifying trends, etc.... lots to learn for all of us but we’re managing...

IC_81

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, my 13 year old daughter was diagnosed in January. We were able to hit the ground running a bit, as I was diagnosed 5 years ago so know the drill, but the lifestyle of a teen is very different from mine so still a steep learning curve! We are getting there though :)
Yes I’m sure that’s a lot for her and your family to adjust to, as it’s been for us. We recently got a freestyle libre which has been helpful with identifying trends, etc. Our son is very active and plays a lot of sports so fending off the lows has been one area of focus for us....

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think levemir is the recommended basal insulin for adults with type 1.

Unlike lantus, where changer to the dose take 2-3 day to settle in, levemir can be changed and instantly take effect. So if your son was planning on having a particularly active day he might reduce his levemir dose in an effort to avoid lows during the activity. Or if he had had an active day he might reduce his levemir dose in the evening to avoid nocturnal hypos. There is less flexibility with lantus.

Run sweet is a good eebsite with tips on how to manage type 1 and exercise - http://www.runsweet.com

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
Hi and welcome
I was diagnosed aged 6 and am now almost 50.
I only mention this to give you optimism for the future.
I don't quite remember being 10 (lol) however I am a school caretaker and one of our pupils is 10 with type 1 and I talk to her and her mum regularly.
If there's anything I can do to help please feel free to ask.

Good luck

Tony

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I think levemir is the recommended basal insulin for adults with type 1.

Unlike lantus, where changer to the dose take 2-3 day to settle in, levemir can be changed and instantly take effect. So if your son was planning on having a particularly active day he might reduce his levemir dose in an effort to avoid lows during the activity. Or if he had had an active day he might reduce his levemir dose in the evening to avoid nocturnal hypos. There is less flexibility with lantus.

Run sweet is a good eebsite with tips on how to manage type 1 and exercise - http://www.runsweet.com
Interesting. My DN justified me starting on Levemir rather than Lantus as I go to the gym. I think she wasn't able 10 years ago to just prescribe Levemir? Overall I believe they are very similar but didn't know that Levemir can be adjusted more flexibly. I adjust mine when on holiday (eating too much) as my BS trends upwards each day.

IC_81

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks all for your input - I wasn’t aware re levemir, will ask our clinic about that. Could also be due to which medications are available where, we live in Canada. Found this forum when sifting through all of the online info, etc. Will check out runsweet.com as well.... appreciate the words of encouragement it’s a big help!

IC_81

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome
I was diagnosed aged 6 and am now almost 50.
I only mention this to give you optimism for the future.
I don't quite remember being 10 (lol) however I am a school caretaker and one of our pupils is 10 with type 1 and I talk to her and her mum regularly.
If there's anything I can do to help please feel free to ask.

Good luck

Tony
Great thanks Tony, really appreciate that. We are very fortunate in that the school he attends has 2 educational assistants that are very well versed in T1D, which has been a big help. Cheers

IC_81

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Interesting. My DN justified me starting on Levemir rather than Lantus as I go to the gym. I think she wasn't able 10 years ago to just prescribe Levemir? Overall I believe they are very similar but didn't know that Levemir can be adjusted more flexibly. I adjust mine when on holiday (eating too much) as my BS trends upwards each day.
Thanks, that’s very helpful to know. Will definitely ask when we next visit our clinic. Cheers

scotteric

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks all for your input - I wasn’t aware re levemir, will ask our clinic about that. Could also be due to which medications are available where, we live in Canada. Found this forum when sifting through all of the online info, etc. Will check out runsweet.com as well.... appreciate the words of encouragement it’s a big help!

Levemir is definitely available in Canada and was the first basal I was prescribed when I was diagnosed 12 years ago. I switched to an insulin pump soon as I could though. Are you in Ontario? The province pays for them for everyone through the Assisted Device Program, and some provinces will pay for them for people under 18. They make everything, especially physical activity, a lot easier.