Big decision to make!

Ellie_Wilko

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I had a failed induction resulting in an emergency csection in December 2016* and am now pregnant with baby number 2 due July...

I’ve got a midwifes appointment tomorrow to discuss my birth plan and I really don’t know what to do. Part of me would rather get it over and done with and go for an elective csection rather than spend 5 wasted days in hospital before delivery but then the other half of me really wants to have a natural birth and have that experience!

Does anyone have any personal experiences of a VBAC or what they were advised to do?

*birth details: I went through the induction process for 4 days before they were able to put me on the drip and break my waters. I over contracted but stopped as soon as the drip was stopped, this went on for about 12 hours before babies heart rate started to drop with contractions. I only made it to 3cm dilated and then “got stuck” at 3cm until I went to theatre!

Reactions: Juicyj

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @Ellie_Wilko Congratulations :) I must admit that I would certainly take on board any guidance from your Midwife on this matter as they will be able to measure birth weight and see if you need to be induced early, as a rule 'diabetes' babies are induced early due to birth weight, my goal with my baby was to have a 'safe' birth and I really wanted a water birth but this was decided for me at around 28 weeks as I was told I would be induced at 37, I tried to deliver naturally, however after 3 days baby had turned and it then resulted in an emergency c section. I think it's best to be guided by your mid wife's advice and see what they suggest, if there is the opportunity to deliver naturally then yes you should have the chance but they are best placed to advise you under the circumstances of your previous delivery.

xkayzx

Congratulations!! I’m 36 weeks now, I really don’t want to go through all of that then end up having a c section!
This is my first too... so annoying why we have to go through it all then up end up having a c section!!
Never no though as it’s your second it may be different ?!!

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
That's a very cute baby. Congrats on baby number 2. In my day (25 years ago but I guess human bodies haven't really changed) T1s got induced at 38 weeks. I was told I had a 50/50 chance of it working and indeed after a night of fake contractions and no sleep, I promptly had a hypo and woke to an insulin drip and instructions that I'd be having an epidural in a few hours...

Baby number 2, 3 years later, I was told that they wouldn't try to induce, but would let me go into labour if it happened naturally before 38 weeks. (Which it didn't! :)) So planned caesarian it was, which at least made the childminding and planning a lot easier.

Do I wish I'd had natural deliveries? Sort of, at the time, but I certainly wouldn't want the pain of contractions AND then have a C-section. Why have both? And the most important thing is the health of the baby. And I am pretty sure, even if you do have a Csection, you won't be agonising in 25 years time and wishing that you'd had a "natural" birth.

Your body, your choice, but try not to worry too much about it. That baby will come, one way or another, and then you can look forward to the joys of attempting to feed baby number two while toddler number one demands that you read a book at the same time. All those wondrous sleepness nights!

Good luck, whatever you decide.

Reactions: kitty55

Ellie_Wilko

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Met with the midwife today and heard my options and now think I’m ready to make my decision - an elective csection.

She said there were 2 options for induction, the pessary I had last time and a balloon induction. They would only give either a day to work and if it didn’t then I would be off to theatre. I don’t believe that after 1 try it would work and would therefore have wasted a day before going for a cesarian so might as well go straight for it!

She said the myths on longer recovery, being limited to a couple of cesarians and other worries I had weren’t necessarily true which was good to hear.

I feel confident with my decision now and as said above, I’ll get my baby either way so shouldn’t worry about how I feel I’ll be perceived about “copping out”!

Reactions: wannabemammy

xkayzx

Met with the midwife today and heard my options and now think I’m ready to make my decision - an elective csection.

She said there were 2 options for induction, the pessary I had last time and a balloon induction. They would only give either a day to work and if it didn’t then I would be off to theatre. I don’t believe that after 1 try it would work and would therefore have wasted a day before going for a cesarian so might as well go straight for it!

She said the myths on longer recovery, being limited to a couple of cesarians and other worries I had weren’t necessarily true which was good to hear.

I feel confident with my decision now and as said above, I’ll get my baby either way so shouldn’t worry about how I feel I’ll be perceived about “copping out”!

Aww that’s gd!! Would you ask for a c section with your first?! I really don’t want to go through what you did!!
I have told me that the first bit would be the pessary!

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ll get my baby either way so shouldn’t worry about how I feel I’ll be perceived about “copping out”!
If anyone, anyone at all, considers you are copping out, then they are not the sort of person whose opinion should be valued. Best wishes for a safe delivery for you both xxx

Ellie_Wilko

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Aww that’s gd!! Would you ask for a c section with your first?! I really don’t want to go through what you did!!
I have told me that the first bit would be the pessary!

I wasn’t given the option for an elective with my first so I’m not sure if that’s the norm or just my hospital.

I’ve heard of loads of positive induction stories I think it’s just pot luck! I’m really pleased that I gave myself a chance first time round and I don’t regret it, it’s just difficult spending a long time in hospital when you have a toddler at home already which is why I’m going to opt for an elective this time.

My induction process started on the Monday morning with my first 24 hour pessary, followed by another 24hour pessary on the Tuesday and then a 12 hour gel on the Wednesday. Thursday morning they broke my waters and started me on the drip which I was on all day. They decided to do a csection at about 10pm ish and my son was born at 11.50pm. It was a long time but like I said, I’m glad I gave my body a chance :)

Good luck with your birth xx

Ellie_Wilko

Type of diabetes
Type 1
If anyone, anyone at all, considers you are copping out, then they are not the sort of person whose opinion should be valued. Best wishes for a safe delivery for you both xxx

Thank you :) I think it’s more myself that is disappointed that I probably won’t ever get to experience a natural delivery and am putting these doubts in my own head! xx

Tweety88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Ellie, I remember we were pregnant at the same time last time too when I was pregnant with Arlo.

I’m now 29 weeks pregnant and will be having an elective section at the start of June.

My first was massive so I’m glad e ended up being a c section! They said to me with him that if I went before 38 weeks they’d let me go naturally. Then I had my premature c section with arlo at 27 weeks who heartbreakingly passed at 6 weeks old.

I was offered the opportunity to give birth naturally, but after everything I think I’d rather it be in a controlled environment.

I can honestly say though that my recovery after arlo was no worse than with Alfie- actually I think recovery after arlo was faster, so I don’t think t makes a difference how many you have. I know after Alfie they stitched me differently and they tied the ends too tight so I was in agony! I had different stitches with arlo being in a different hospital and I was up and about sooner.

Sending you lots of love and luck x x x

Ellie_Wilko

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Ellie, I remember we were pregnant at the same time last time too when I was pregnant with Arlo.

I’m now 29 weeks pregnant and will be having an elective section at the start of June.

My first was massive so I’m glad e ended up being a c section! They said to me with him that if I went before 38 weeks they’d let me go naturally. Then I had my premature c section with arlo at 27 weeks who heartbreakingly passed at 6 weeks old.

I was offered the opportunity to give birth naturally, but after everything I think I’d rather it be in a controlled environment.

I can honestly say though that my recovery after arlo was no worse than with Alfie- actually I think recovery after arlo was faster, so I don’t think t makes a difference how many you have. I know after Alfie they stitched me differently and they tied the ends too tight so I was in agony! I had different stitches with arlo being in a different hospital and I was up and about sooner.

Sending you lots of love and luck x x x

Yeah I remember! I’m so sorry about your poor baby Arlo, I remember reading your updates and was so heartbroken for you all when you lost him but I’m glad that you’ve got another chance this time and I bet your so relieved to be past the week where Arlo was born?

I to have opted for an elective section this time! They said they would only give induction 24 hours and if nothing was to happen I would go to theatre anyway so seems sensible to avoid wasting a day sitting about and get it over and done with.

On another note regarding Arlo, I am a local hospital coordinator for a charity called Octopus For A Preemie, I’m not sure if Arlo got an octopus when he was in the NICU? but aswell as a normal octo, we make up angel packs for parents who have sadly lost a Preemie. It’s just a little keepsake with a beautiful poem inside - I would be more than happy to send you one if you would like? Not to worry if not but thought I would see as I always mean to ask xx
IMG_4414.jpg

Reactions: xkayzx