Perfect Low Carb Bread Recipe!!

Jo123

Oh gosh that's difficult. I do think the gluten is kind of crucial to the texture, however you could give it a try.
Good luck.

4ratbags

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Looks like a good recipe. Does it actually hold together like real bread as most LC bread tends to fall apart easily.

Reactions: 2 people

Quirkybee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Please can anyone share the recipe for this bread?
I have tried looking and I've only quickly trailed through the thread but can't see it as there are lots of comments here and admittedly I just don't have time at the mo.

Thank you so much

Quirkybee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Found it, didn't look back one page further, darn lol.
Thank you very much I will endeavour to give this a go, but using the oven and not a bread maker.

Rooty

I realise this is a very old thread, but it’s recent for me. Tried the recipe twice now using the dreaded “cup” formula of one cup = 235ml formula!!!!

Attempt 1: Cups > ml > to realworld grams :nailbiting: worked out at nearly 750g of dry ingredients, which is a lot, given the mere 1.5 cups of added water and oil. Needless to say my fears were realised when the bin-worthy result was ... binned before it got to the actual cooking stage. It was a dry mess.

Attempt 2: I reduced all the main dry ingredients by a third (not yeast, salt, sugar) ... keeping the liquid the same and as the smell of burning eminated from my bread machine ... I binned the second lot, which looked as if the “mix” was a crumbled dry flapjack in texture.

So, does anyone have the recipe using grams (or ounces)?

Does anyone have an idea of where I’m going wrong?

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is the original Gabi Moeller recipe for a loaf which uses the same ingredients but different quantities.
Gabi's Low Carb Bread.pdf
This is the recipe I use to make rolls which is based on it.
Soya and Linseed Rolls.pdf
You will see in my recipe a conversion to grams but to be honest you can by some plastic cup measures for a couple of pounds and they make measuring much easier.

Reactions: Rooty

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Messed up the upload.....

Attachments

• Gabi's Low Carb Bread.pdf
    156.5 KB · Views: 281
  • Soya and Linseed Rolls.pdf
    645.5 KB · Views: 253

LouWilk059

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
dishonesty, people who throw garbage out on to the streets,
Thank you for taking the time for that, Mr-Pot. I’ll give it another go!
The difference in cups is only 15 ml which is a tablespoon. So, for 1 cup, use your 250ml cup and remove 1 tbsp. For 1.5 cups, remove 1.5 tbsp, etc. That "should" work for you.

I also prefer to use weight but its too time consuming to convert as 1 cup of vital wheat gluten will weigh less than 1 cup of wheat bran (as an example).

LouWilk059

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
@Rooty, you're in luck. I found my notes! I weighed the first 5 ingredients when I made the bread recipe.
147g vital wheat gluten
72g soy flour
26g flaxseed meal/flour (aka linseed)
26g oat flour (you know this is only oats ground in a blender right?)
18g wheat bran (the bran you would use for bran muffins)

Rooty

Thank you LouWilk059 for the extra hints. My first two attempts were using the suggested cups to ml measure conversion in the first post. Which proved ... problematic. Twice. Such a waste.

So I bought some cups and yesterday made Gabi's Low Carb Bread in my breadmaker, which turned out rather splendidly.

Sadly, cups aren't my thing. Hate them in fact. lol. But as I was following the Gabi' recipe, I took a note of the gram weights of each element and was thus able to work out carbs too. So a double bonus and all good. :)

I'm going to play with adding some mixed seeds next time, which should add a nicer texture to the crust.

Edit: you posted your weights while I was writing the above! My weights (on my brands) match yours pretty much. And, yep, I know about oat flour.

LouWilk059

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thank you LouWilk059 for the extra hints. My first two attempts were using the suggested cups to ml measure conversion in the first post. Which proved ... problematic. Twice. Such a waste.

So I bought some cups and yesterday made Gabi's Low Carb Bread in my breadmaker, which turned out rather splendidly.

Sadly, cups aren't my thing. Hate them in fact. lol. But as I was following the Gabi' recipe, I took a note of the gram weights of each element and was thus able to work out carbs too. So a double bonus and all good. :)

I'm going to play with adding some mixed seeds next time, which should add a nicer texture to the crust.
Did your weights come out to about the same as mine? I'm just curious about the different brands from different countries.

Rooty

My weights:
  • 150g | 1 cup vital wheat gluten flour
  • 70 g | 3/4 cup soy flour
  • 37g | 1/4 cup linseed
  • 27g | 1/4 cup oat flour
  • 15g | 1/4 cup coarse unprocessed wheat bran

LouWilk059

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My weights:
  • 150g | 1 cup vital wheat gluten flour
  • 70 g | 3/4 cup soy flour
  • 37g | 1/4 cup linseed
  • 27g | 1/4 cup oat flour
  • 15g | 1/4 cup coarse unprocessed wheat bran
Thanks. It's pretty close. I'll round off my numbers for next time I bake a loaf. I'm also going to cut salt in half as I find it too salty. Happy baking!

Rooty

Not too bothered by salt but, looking at your linseed weight vs mine, I realise that I weighed the unground 1/4 cup of seeds, so will opt for your ground 26g vs my unground 37g next time; maybe 30g as a compromise. (I can believe that an unground cup measure is heavier than the ground “flour” cup equivalent.)

Happy baking to you too. It’s brilliant to have the option of bread again, almost guilt free now. So few carbs in this loaf.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to put the oats in a blender to make flour. Now I just use the oats whole, it doesn't seem to make any difference and saves a bit of time and mess.

LouWilk059

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not too bothered by salt but, looking at your linseed weight vs mine, I realise that I weighed the unground 1/4 cup of seeds, so will opt for your ground 26g vs my unground 37g next time; maybe 30g as a compromise. (I can believe that an unground cup measure is heavier than the ground “flour” cup equivalent.)

Happy baking to you too. It’s brilliant to have the option of bread again, almost guilt free now. So few carbs in this loaf.
I love making from scratch. Can't understand why everyone's so upset about those stupid lidl rolls when you can just bake this up.

LouWilk059

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I used to put the oats in a blender to make flour. Now I just use the oats whole, it doesn't seem to make any difference and saves a bit of time and mess.
The oats I have are the very coarse ones (steel cut) so I do have to grind them a bit but that's nice to know if I decide to make an artisan loaf! Thank you.