Another scary conversation with the gp

deb1960

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorant, homophobic, racist people
On the 20th of February this year I had my annual diabetes blood tests and various other blood tests. I was asked to go to see the gp about the results. She started by saying that there were quite a few annomiles with my results including anaemia and protein in my liver. She told me to repeat the blood tests and I went back on the 29th of February. At this point she said that she thought that I had myeloma (blood cancer ) and was urgently referring me to haematology. I didn't get an urgent appointment so I rang her and she told me that the 2nd lot of blood tests had shown negative for myeloma...huge sigh of relief. I have an appointment with haematology on 16th of may but I can hardly stay awake so I rang to ask if she could prescribe iron or something for the anaemia. When I originally saw her she said that I shouldn't take anything until I see the haematologist, but that was when we thought I'd be seen in 2 weeks. Another doctor rang me today and said he was concerned that there was such a big difference in the first and second blood tests. He said he would write to ask for a an appointment sooner and asked me to go for blood tests tomorrow. He also mentioned myeloma. He said if it's not myeloma there must be an infection somewhere in my body . I'm obviously getting a bit anxious and stressed about it all.

Ragmar

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Surround yourself with loved ones and stay strong. Wishing you all the best.

Reactions: deb1960

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Big hug for helping you deal with all this uncertainty. I'll keep my fingers crossed that the first test was a fluke and you've got nothing wrong except a faulty test!

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Sending you a gentle hug. No wise words as there is nothing that will calm your fears except to say that tests are often inconclusive or done to rule things out. Nothing is set in stone, yet, so try to stay positive. Xx

Reactions: deb1960

deb1960

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorant, homophobic, racist people
Thank you so much for all your replies. My sister works at the hospital that I'm being referred to and was able to speak to the consultant I'll be seeing. He told her that I definitely don't have myeloma!!! He doesn't know what is causing the anaemia and other problems with my blood and said it does need investigating but thankfully it isn't blood cancer.

Reactions: ickihun

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Thank you so much for all your replies. My sister works at the hospital that I'm being referred to and was able to speak to the consultant I'll be seeing. He told her that I definitely don't have myeloma!!! He doesn't know what is causing the anaemia and other problems with my blood and said it does need investigating but thankfully it isn't blood cancer.
How did you get on at hospital. I have iron deficiency anaemia.... I'm guessing from PPI as its one of its side affects.