Been in denial now freaking....

Sarah-b

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve just got my HBA1c results back and am freaking!!

It’s 84 (9.8 ). It was done about 4 months ago and was 59 (7.5) but I had been slack taking my Metformin due to bathroom issues so I resolved to try harder. I’m on the extended release. Nurse said to recheck after 3 months.

I had that nasty cough for nearly a month and my BS was through the roof.

I’ve been much better taking the Metformin, still only on 1000mg as when I try and add more the side effects become a pain.

I’ll be honest and say I have totally NOT been watching what I eat. But I have been doing more exercise, cycling and walking our puppy.

Can’t get to see the diabetic nurse until Monday and am worrying.

Am I screwed? Or can they add more meds to help? What can I expect?

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Actually many of us find that dietary change has the most immediate impact... no medication, no exercise, no will power...

14102513_1796499817261143_5218689255100165662_n.jpg

Reactions: Prem51

Ragmar

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
In the beginning I was in denial, I kept thinking it was a false positive and that hope lasted for the first two weeks but my friends made a good point, false positive or not your blood sugar is still high so I changed my life style and ate better and now I feel better. But now that you've accepted it, you can begin the recovery and make the changes for a better you.

Like @kokhongw said, it's all about that dietary change. You'll find like I have that there are many type two diabetics living without medication because of diet and exercise. I wish you the best on your journey and remember to celebrate your wins.

Sarah-b

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the replies.

I’m not concerned about taking meds if they are needed.

@kokhongw dietary change DOES require willpower? I’m guessing you mean low carbing and I love carbs!! Willpower is needed for me, lol.

Reactions: flexi06

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@kokhongw dietary change DOES require willpower? I’m guessing you mean low carbing and I love carbs!! Willpower is needed for me, lol.

:D that is where you will be pleasantly surprised. The trick is to find fat friendly food that you can enjoy...

15741203_10154963048094445_597882380453648841_n.jpg

Ragmar

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is a youtube video from a ted talk with Dr Sarah Hallberg who advocates a low carb high fat diet and I encourage you to watch it when you have free time. It's been a great deal of help for me because I too love carbs.

May I ask what you ate before diagnosis? @Sarah-b

Sarah-b

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@kokhongw those dishes look fab, but would be even better with a side of chips!!

@Ragmar I ate what I eat now, typically:

Breakfast: none or porridge with full fat milk
Lunch: sandwich/toastie or wrap with cheese/meat/tuna and salad or roast tomatoes and mushrooms with eggs on wholewheat toast.
Mid-afternoon: 100 cal biscuit
Dinner: home cooked meal. Lots of pasta dishes, rice, foreign foods as well as traditional British favourites. Yoghurt (full fat) if I have dessert.
Mid-evening; crisps or bit of chocolate

Reactions: Bridie9408

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Your problem seems to be what you are eating - those carbs would have my BG levels sky high.
I don't eat porridge, any form of bread other than the lidl rolls which are 10 gm of carbs each, no pasta no rice no biscuits no crisps, and chocolate, when I have any at all is over 80 percent cocoa.
I started off eating 50 gm of carbs a day from salad and low carb veges - and my diabetes was no longer in evidence at 6 months - my Hba1c was under the diabetes range, just, after 80 days.
If you are serious about wanting to get control then the low carb diet will, with any luck, sort you out very quickly. Diabetes is all about carbohydrates and how you can't cope with eating them .

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If it is quite obvious from my glucose chart where I stop eating rice, noodles and bread...and start enjoying roast meat, eggs, cheese, avocado.

Reactions: humaira

Sarah-b

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Ragmar well that video was a relevation!! Thank you.

The video she talks about baking with none grain flours and I’m assuming sweetener for sweet things? I like that idea.

@Resurgam which Lidl rolls are they please?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@Ragmar well that video was a relevation!! Thank you.

The video she talks about baking with none grain flours and I’m assuming sweetener for sweet things? I like that idea.

@Resurgam which Lidl rolls are they please?
They are the Lidl protein rolls - they might not be available at the moment as I believe they are changing supplier, but they were available here last week. They are dark brown seeded triangular rolls and many people are dismayed at the lack of them at the moment. I have some in my freezer as they freeze well and for many diabetics they have very little impact on their blood glucose.

There is no Spoon

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ll be honest and say I have totally NOT been watching what I eat. But I have been doing more exercise, cycling and walking our puppy.
Hi Sarah
It's easier to eat less that it is to exercise more.
Food for thought.;)
:bag:

Sarah-b

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So I’ve downloaded a carb counter, how many should I aim for and would it be better (easier) to reduce gradually or go straight to low?

@Resurgam thnk you will look out for them.

@There is no Spoon I thought the opposite as I love food!! But having watched the video, hearing diabetes explained as “carb intolerance” has got me thinking.

Thank you for your help.

There is no Spoon

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I thought the opposite as I love food!! But having watched the video, hearing diabetes explained as “carb intolerance” has got me thinking.
It's one of the first things we all think about must exercise more of course you should, but as the first tool to pull out of the bad to aid weight loss or control blood sugar look at eating better which should help you eat less. ;)
:bag:

rom35

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ll be honest and say I have totally NOT been watching what I eat.
So I’ve downloaded a carb counter, how many should I aim for and would it be better (easier) to reduce gradually or go straight to low?
Depends on your naturel.
I'm for hard way - remove for some time the carbs completelly and after cleaning out body experiment how much carbs you can eat.

Others here are for slower process...

It's on you - at the end you will get the same - you must clean body and find your carbs limit to stay in the BG limit. ;)

Reactions: Alison Campbell

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Reading this post really proves that the lack of information people with diabetes are given leaves them seriously at risk. I consider myself to be fairly intelligent, I had a Mum with type 1 diabetes for 40 years, spent those 40 years shovelling 'good' carbs down her throat and her sugars were all over the place despite trying to balance her insulin. we sought help numerous times from the professionals about how best to stabilise her and were told 'eat wholemeal/baked beans etc. I really wish I had known what I know now (mainly from this forum!), these food types may be 'healthy' for the general population but were poison to my Mum. I know there are different types of diabetes but I know that having cut out my so called healthy food has helped keep my levels within range.

Reactions: kokhongw and rom35

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I just stopped eating carbs for a couple of days after the diagnosis - I called in at the butcher and ordered a whole hogget - a well grown lamb, and then had a chop for dinner that day and the next - with some eggs for breakfast next morning.
I had been trying to stick to a high carb diet and feeling pretty dismal and old, but I always felt that way eating cereals and rice etc.
I went back to eating the same things I knew had controlled my weight for decades, salads and low carb veges, up to 50 gm per day, but concentrating on the meat and fish and buying the cream, mayonnaise, butter, olive oil and eggs which make the diet seem anything but difficult to eat.

bruciebonus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Sarah I am in the situation, metformin does the same to me, I have started taking it again 1000 a day but dare not take anymore, unfortunatly the only solution is to eat less. And try not to worry about it.

achike

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The mainstay of Diabetic T2 control are appropriate healthy diet, exercise, weight loss and medications. Please do all simultaneously.

Sent from my E6683 using DCUK Forum mobile app

Dmcc0

Type of diabetes
Type 2
They are the Lidl protein rolls - they might not be available at the moment as I believe they are changing supplier, but they were available here last week. They are dark brown seeded triangular rolls and many people are dismayed at the lack of them at the moment. I have some in my freezer as they freeze well and for many diabetics they have very little impact on their blood glucose.
That'll be why the 3 lidl stores near me haven't had any for the last week or so. They also do a low GI bloomer which doesn't affect my BG much and there are a few low carb breads in my local sainsburys too that I have as alternatives if I can't get the Lidl rolls. One called Hi-Lo I think, and possibly one by hovis but can't recall the name. Both freeze quite well too

Reactions: Alison Campbell