What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Goonergal not tried the dd recipe with no almond flour that @Brunneria recommended would be interesting to see how it turns out

Will report back. Also made up a batch of @Brunneria ’s chocolate mousse tonight (just 100% drops mixed with double cream). Judging by the sample I scraped from the edge of the bowl it’s pretty good.

Reactions: ziggy_w

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Goonergal
Hope the Zero Carb goes well.
Looking forward to hearing about it. :D
I must admit that I would probably never taken the extra step if I hadnt had that tummy bug.
But it has been amazing how easy it is for me to live ZC.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Funny you calling me an experienced cook @Goonergal . My love for cooking has only resurfaced with my diabetes diagnosis! I had become really lazy with cooking when I was working night shifts. Luckily now being semi-retired I have more time to spend on the kitchen. Looks like you have your answer now anyway!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream (carefully measured 2 tsp) washed down with a white coffee (still using almond milk to save calories and carbs)
Lunch: chicken with salad made from raw cauliflower and brocolli with Caesar dressing (ran out of Parmesan :(), followed by Greek yoghurt and raspberries.
Mid afternoon:Hartleys 10cal jelly and black coffee.
Dinner: beef stew, mixed veggies and celeriac mash followed by strawberries and cream (couldn’t have Oppo tonight to save calories as I had to take my own dinner to my son’s house, picking him up from Uni this evening and he wouldn’t have had ANYTHING suitable for my dinner! :banghead:)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Brunneria and @Goonergal I am in awe of your comittment. Do you mind me asking if zc is mainly for bg control or weight loss?

I’m doing it because, since a nasty bout of GutRot at Xmas, my body won’t digest veg. Carbs give me constipation. Veg gives me the opposite, combining them both makes everything unpleasant. On the other hand, eggs, fish, meat, yog all digest beautifully.

Looks like my guts are recovering slowly, at which point I will probably start to enjoy veg again. In the meantime, I am not suffering! :D

As for weightloss, nothing significant - but i’m not doing it for that. :)

eggs11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Decided to eat more calories today as had been feeling tired the last few weeks, which I know isn't right now I'm low carbing, I suspect I'm low on iron so took some Floradix too.
B - alpro plain soya yogurt with almond
L - mini egg muffins with feta and sun-dried tomatoes with salad - they were yum, more soya yogurt
D - soya mince bolognese with grated cheese on top, no pasta
Snack - cashews and 40g (yes 40g! wanted the iron though - of 85% dark choc)
Today was a bit soya-crazy - will eat some fish tomorrow methinks. The result of eating more is I feel tons better and my post-meal sugars were way better too - I've obviously been low calorie too long now, so time to up it and maybe do a 5:2 fasting approach each week to keep the weight loss going.

Reactions: DJC3

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Brunneria and @Goonergal I am in awe of your comittment. Do you mind me asking if zc is mainly for bg control or weight loss?

More out of curiosity than anything - have often thought about giving it a go. Decided to do it now as I’m having trouble shifting the last few kilos (and particularly excess fat around my torso) and have been seriously over doing the chocolate every now and then. So it’s about getting back to basics and giving my body something a bit different to think about.

Day 3 and very easy to stick to so far. If anything BG is very slightly higher (average about 0.2 mmols up). Suspect that is because protein is up a bit and that it may well even out. I can feel that my appetite is a little smaller.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
More out of curiosity than anything - have often thought about giving it a go. Decided to do it now as I’m having trouble shifting the last few kilos (and particularly excess fat around my torso) and have been seriously over doing the chocolate every now and then. So it’s about getting back to basics and giving my body something a bit different to think about.

Day 3 and very easy to stick to so far. If anything BG is very slightly higher (average about 0.2 mmols up). Suspect that is because protein is up a bit and that it may well even out. I can feel that my appetite is a little smaller.

I’ll be really interested in your results. I’m having trouble getting rid of the fat round my middle too, although I’m not overweight now. ( one positive outcome of cancer last year, I dropped 15k. A bit drastic, but every cloud etc).

I’m with you on the chocolate habit - those 100% buttons are seriously moreish. Good luck with it, you’ve done such a fab job so far.

david0779

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
negativity and the rain
IMG-20180307-WA0013.jpeg

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all.

Cannot believe how hungry I was today. Not helped by an almost 4 hour long appointment at the eye clinic - most of which was spent sitting in the waiting room in between procedures. Not happy. Early morning gym visit may also have contributed to hunger.

Breakfast - none

Lunch - ravenous after my appointment. Ate the planned 2 fried eggs and smoked salmon but was still very hungry, so ate tonight’s dessert - portion of @Brunneria ’s mousse - and a bag of pork crunch. Mousse very good, if a bit solid. Would probably reduce the amount of chocolate next time as it’s a very intense hit and some smaller ramekins are in order.

Dinner - still hungry! Abandoned planned sea bass fillet in favour of trying the Diet Doctor Keto pizza. It was good, but a bit eggy, especially at one end: most of the egg ended up on one side so that end was a bit like a pepperoni omelette! Prefer the fathead recipe with almond flour, but might try adapting that to be zero carb. A sneaky 2 Hotel Chocolat 100% buttons to finish.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all
Whoopee finished my three days of training - I do not miss the regular commuting - back to working from home tomorrow so at least one hour extra in bed!
Breakfast small one egg cheese omelette
Lunch bit of Stilton and vintage cheddar with a few walnuts and 5 hotel chocolate 100% cocoa buttons
Dinner cauli cheese and slow cooker beef casserole plus glass of celebratory red wine! Well it is supposed to lower your blood sugar!
Prob will have some choc with coffee later.
Friday weigh in tomorrow - hoping for maintenance.......

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Goonergal, the last time i made that DD pizza i forgot it used egg! Lol.
So I just used grated cheese. Worked fine without eggs. :D

Today I was out to lunch. Was being v good. Ribeye. One mouthful peas. One mouthful mushroom (that is as much veg as I dare at the mo). 5 chips.

Then my Dear Beloved and his mother reached for the dessert menu, and shoved it under my nose.
I mean... Chocolate Bomb!?!?!!!
I didn’t stand a chance.
It was a sphere of dark chocolate containing a blob of v posh real vanilla icecream, lying on a pillow of proper whipped cream. With a tiddly jug of warm salted caramel, 4 blobs of raspberry coulis and 4 rather anticlimactic mint leaves, all drizzled with dark choc drizzly stuff.

I’ve absolutely no idea how many g carbs but i prick tested at approx 90 mins (12.9mmol/l) and at 2 hours was 6.7 then 2.5 hrs it was 6.3mmol/l which was much better than i expected!
Fortunately, since the entire meal was perfectly gluten free, things didn’t end with a hypo. :couchpotato:

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Todays menu
B - jumbo oats, unsweetened almond milk, raspberries, butter and a coffee
9:30 - coffee
D - wholemeal ham and garlic & herb Philadelphia sandwich and a salted caramel protein bar
2 - coffee
T - mushroom omelette, charlotte potatoes, green beans and 2 squares 90%
After t - coffee x