Diabetes UK Petition for improved food labelling

chri5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Telling people how many carbs are in a product will only help if people are made aware of the effect said carbs have on them, having said that it is very important information to have when making food choices, I just wish we were better educated in the first place.

Reactions: dbr10

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, in the words of Lao-Tzu.

Attachments

• a journey of a thousand-miles.jpg
    a journey of a thousand-miles.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 185

chri5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well, in the words of Lao-Tzu.
Very true, it`s unfortunate however that even that one single step is shackled to a ball and chain of misinformation from the "authorities". It makes for very slow progress.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Well, sorry to be different but I will not sign this. What relevance do calories have to what you eat? They may keep diet companies in business but they don't help with weight control as not all calories are equal as the body metabolises carbs, fats and proteins in different ways. The body is not a test furnace. Carbs should be shown predominantly on the front of packs with sugar showing as a 'Contains' within carbs. Oh and no traffic light labelling. Apart from all that it's fine :)

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
Would the petition be aimed at family enterprises as well, like the restaurant just down the road from me run by husband and wife? It worries me that the latent threat of litigation if a diabetic uses their menu with listed carb content and then derails could put the likes of them off trading. Is that really what we all want? I agree in principal, especially with the big chains being involved since their supplies would surely have details listed, and trying to calculate the value of a meal when I was Type 1 was often a nightmare. I will certainly sign if I know exactly what I'm signing up to.