Crisis! Lidl protein rolls discontinued????

anderson3000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi all , for the last week our nearest Lidl has had no protein rolls , finally , today I asked someone and they said they that they thought they were being discontinued? Just wondered if anyone knew anything and if true can you recommend the nearest best thing? For info, this was the shoreham in Sussex store...

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
They still had some in my local Lidl yesterday. I can't have then as I have to be gluten free, but does this mean there's an opening for me as a Lidl Protein Roll Reseller, as they do for concert tickets?

@anderson3000 - did you ask if they weren't good sellers in your branch or anything?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was never that keen on Lidl rolls so had changed to HiLo bread anyway. The slices are small and 5g carbs per slice, so two slices are similar in amount of bread and carb count to the Lidl rolls. I buy it at Sainsburys.

Reactions: dbr10

anderson3000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks for your feedback... I failed to ask the chap if it hadn’t been selling....ealier today I sent Lidl a message , they sent back a similar. ‘Sorry , we change our products (like someone else had written previously ) ..... I wonder, do you think Diabetes Uk would allow Lidl to put a sign up saying’low carb recommended by Diabetes UK??’

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I prefer bread sliced too. I remove the crusts for added taste thou. With a fried egg on toast like my childhood favourite. Which were poached in a pan til microwave was paid for by dad's long service award courtesy of British gas. A great excitment at the time. Scrambled eggs and poached eggs. Pale looking Victoria sponges too.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for your feedback... I failed to ask the chap if it hadn’t been selling....ealier today I sent Lidl a message , they sent back a similar. ‘Sorry , we change our products (like someone else had written previously ) ..... I wonder, do you think Diabetes Uk would allow Lidl to put a sign up saying’low carb recommended by Diabetes UK??’

You could always write to Diabetes UK and ask them. For the avoidance of doubt, Diabetes UK is the charity, here: https://www.diabetes.org.uk/home and nothing to do with this website or forum.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for your feedback... I failed to ask the chap if it hadn’t been selling....ealier today I sent Lidl a message , they sent back a similar. ‘Sorry , we change our products (like someone else had written previously ) .....
Unfortunately this happens quite a lot for stuff you find in the free-from sections as well - on a number of occasions I've found gluten-free stuff that I really like and then they stop making it/stocking it :( (and I've always been really picky so often don't find a decent replacement)

Kbarbaracollins_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I’ve tried 2 Lidl stores in Chesterfield and 1 in Sheffield today but no luck. They confirmed they are discontinued. I will put in a complaint but not sure it will make much difference

AdamJames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all , for the last week our nearest Lidl has had no protein rolls , finally , today I asked someone and they said they that they thought they were being discontinued? Just wondered if anyone knew anything and if true can you recommend the nearest best thing? For info, this was the shoreham in Sussex store...

Sometimes the title of a thread can seem over-the-top and melodramatic.

This is not one of those times :)

Reactions: Bluetit1802

PCS1949

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dear Mr Lidl,
Do you realise how many thousands of the growing number of type 2 diabetics in the UK totally rely on your protein rolls as the only bread they can eat? Four million people in the UK are estimated to be suffering from diabetes. Lidl protein rolls are famous and widely talked about and championed on the diabetic forums such as diabetes.co.uk. Please, please bring them back. People who do not have diabetes or are not on low carb diets for other reasons have a bewildering choice of bread they can eat so the loss of a product is not that important; they can always find an alternative. But take away the only reasonably priced, regularly and widely available bread that diabetics can eat and you condemn them to a life with no bread. You made life bearable for us when you brought out the protein rolls and now you discontinue them seemingly on a whim with no warning! My feeling is that it could be a marketing mistake because many diabetics like myself are prepared to travel a long way to their nearest Lidl store to buy these and whilst they are there they do their weekly shop. If you don’t bring them back, I, like many others will have no reason to drive the extra distance, in my case ten miles, to the nearest Lidl store in North Walsham but use my local Tesco instead. Please forward this message to your marketing team. We hope to hear that you have reconsidered this decision soon.
Thank you.
Paul Stevens

Feel free to copy and adapt and send to [email protected]

carol43

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Have received a reply as follows:-

Re: Availability of High Protein Rolls

Thank you for taking the time to contact us regarding the above item.

This item is not available in our stores at the moment and I am unable to provide a specific date for its return. I am hopeful that this will be available in the future. In the meantime, I have passed your interest in this item to our Buying Department for their information.

I have also advised the relevant team that this products is beneficial to our customers suffering from Type 2 Diabetes due to the low carbohydrate content.

Thank you again for contacting us.

Yours sincerely,
For and on behalf of Lidl UK GmbH

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I hope this helps to bring them back ,even if they put up the price !

CAROL

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm currently in potugal and have seen various Lidls.
I've resisted the temptation to see if portugese Lidls have h.p. rolls but now I'm beginning to wonder about a little importation and resale activity!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have also advised the relevant team that this products is beneficial to our customers suffering from Type 2 Diabetes due to the low carbohydrate content.

This paragraph is interesting. It is otherwise the standard reply most of us received, but hopefully they are now taking on board the low carb element rather than the high protein. If they marketed it as low carb they would soon see the sales increase. It isn't just diabetics that buy low carb.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This paragraph is interesting. It is otherwise the standard reply most of us received, but hopefully they are now taking on board the low carb element rather than the high protein. If they marketed it as low carb they would soon see the sales increase. It isn't just diabetics that buy low carb.

The baskets of low GI rolls in my Lidl were completely full - not nearly so popular as the protein rolls. That might also make them think.