pump training

johnny37

. when you were given your pump did you receive any training? after 5 odd years iI still 'switch off'' every time i pick up the 3.5 kilo pile of documentation.
im getting reasonable hba1c (53 last time) but its not breen a happy experience! I have never got to grip;s with the
temp basa rates, blue tooth or wizard calculater thingy. . At £2500. a very expensive piece of kit when most of the functions re not used.

can i have some realistic comments .

thanks

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
2 comments -----------

1== the HCP community is sometimes very helpful and other times not so much so.........

2= this disease /condition /lifelong illness is meant to be self managed ( not ideal but pretty much true IMO )

be strong !

johnny37

. when you were given your pump did you receive any training? after 5 odd years iI still 'switch off'' every time i pick up the 3.5 kilo pile of documentation.
im getting reasonable hba1c (53 last time) but its not breen a happy experience! I have never got to grip;s with the
temp basa rates, blue tooth or wizard calculater thingy. . At £2500. a very expensive piece of kit when most of the functions re not used.

thanks

Books1

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm on an Insight pump and did get 2 training sessions in a group of 4 with a company rep and a dsn.
However it still didn't cover everything and the dsn was clear that self learning was going to be required as even if you're told how to do things the practicalities tend to be v different.
I was also advised that the Accuchek helpdesk was there to help with anything!
I've only contacted them once but they were brill and spent a long time helping to sort things out.
Not sure if this is the info you were wanting.....
Only had my pump 6 weeks but love it

Frances

Reactions: himtoo

Picci

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @johnny37
I find it easier to learn by 'doing', however I realise many features of this amazing piece of kit won't be used as much as others.
As each day goes by I am picking up the manuals a discovering something new, I make notes of things I think will be of use.
I know I am only scratching the surface and it is work in progress.
My training has been pretty sparse, most of what I have learnt I have done my self.
@Books1 :angelic:has given me some great support, and she is so right, take advantage of the care line.
Good luck
Christine

Reactions: Books1

Bluey1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who try and make Diabetes the centre of the party and poor me, I'm special because I have diabetes now everyone run around after me.

thanks
I suspect it depends which country you come rom. I'm in Australia and the training was extensive. I haven't looked at the 3.5Kg of documentation, but the diabetic nurse has explained everything.