Dawn Phenominum

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Bluetit. I will bring my kit up with me tonight. So if I test at 8 should I test again half an hour later before I eat?

If you want to experiment to see if you have risen in that half hour, and by how much, it would be interesting. Plus of course, if you have risen in that half hour, it will affect the post breakfast test. I don't have breakfast these days, but when I did I only tested when I got up. I didn't bother with another.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you want to experiment to see if you have risen in that half hour, and by how much, it would be interesting. Plus of course, if you have risen in that half hour, it will affect the post breakfast test. I don't have breakfast these days, but when I did I only tested when I got up. I didn't bother with another.
Thanks that helps. :cat:

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well that was interesting to do. 08.00 from my bed I was 7.4. So got up showered, dressed, fed the cats put the laundry on made some tea buttered my scone. Sat down to eat at 0830 pricked my finger at it was 9.1!!! One of my worst readings. I did have an M&S cauliflower cheese with added green veg for dinnerlast night which I knew was unwise (and unusual for me, was just one of those evenings) followed by 8 raspberries and 5 walnuts. No lunchfor me today, am out this morning. When I read what some people eat and the low readings it does make me feel I have a low threshold and need to tweak my portions perhaps.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Well that was interesting to do. 08.00 from my bed I was 7.4. So got up showered, dressed, fed the cats put the laundry on made some tea buttered my scone. Sat down to eat at 0830 pricked my finger at it was 9.1!!! One of my worst readings. I did have an M&S cauliflower cheese with added green veg for dinnerlast night which I knew was unwise (and unusual for me, was just one of those evenings) followed by 8 raspberries and 5 walnuts. No lunchfor me today, am out this morning. When I read what some people eat and the low readings it does make me feel I have a low threshold and need to tweak my portions perhaps.

So ..... interesting experiment. Your 7.4 was your true fasting level. The rise of 1.6mmol/l in that half an hour can be explained by all the rushing about you did. Maybe try another experiment. Go straight downstairs after getting up, put the kettle on eat your breakfast. Leave all the other jobs until after breakfast. Then see what happens.

Please don't compare your readings with those of other people. We are all at different stages in our journeys, with different pancreatic functions, different levels of insulin resistance, different medications, different lifestyles and different metabolisms. Set your own targets, and when you meet these targets regularly, set some new ones. Just watch your own levels for trends, and celebrate when they are trending downwards, even if it is only by small amounts.

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
@PenguinMum How accurate is your meter. Some of these are only +/- 10%
Do you recalibrate occasionally with control solutions. I do mine every three months.
Glenn

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So ..... interesting experiment. Your 7.4 was your true fasting level. The rise of 1.6mmol/l in that half an hour can be explained by all the rushing about you did. Maybe try another experiment. Go straight downstairs after getting up, put the kettle on eat your breakfast. Leave all the other jobs until after breakfast. Then see what happens.

Please don't compare your readings with those of other people. We are all at different stages in our journeys, with different pancreatic functions, different levels of insulin resistance, different medications, different lifestyles and different metabolisms. Set your own targets, and when you meet these targets regularly, set some new ones. Just watch your own levels for trends, and celebrate when they are trending downwards, even if it is only by small amounts.
Thanks for advice. I will do as you suggest tomorrow and will be able to test 2 hours after eating which I couldnt do today. Before anyone suggests I just eat fat for breakfast with the best will in the world I just would t be able to keep that going!

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you Glenn. Mine is a 2 month old Codefree. I dont understand what you said means?

You can get some control solution from Home Health (where the codefree comes from). I have only used control solution twice in 4 years. All it does it tell you if the meter is measuring within the required tolerance level of plus or minus 15%.

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
Thank you Glenn. Mine is a 2 month old Codefree. I dont understand what you said means?

Just something to consider when taking the readings. Bluetit has already added the Codefree is +/- 15% accuracy. This means that the 7.4 reading could be anywhere between 6.3 and 8.5. The 9.1 reading could fall anywhere between 7.7 and 10.4. These two spreads have an overlap between 7.7 and 8.5 so the meter may actually be within tolerance.

Nidge247

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only

@PenguinMum

I find that having a shower will always increase my BGs no matter what time of day. Hence I would test before that activity.

To minimise my DP, I have a couple of cheese biscuits with a slice of mild cheese on, and a small glass of milk before bed. This tends to keep my morning level between 5.5 and 7.0

A filling breakfast for me is berries, nuts and full fat yoghurt. If I ever got peckish, we always have some pork scratchings in the cupboard which are a great LCHF food.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Another day another morning of perplexing readings. Got up at 0800 and was sitting down to breakfast (cheese scone and butter, tea again) reading was 7.0. Raced around busy busy tested at 10.00 and got 8.5. That was the biggest difference for this food but I guess its still not bad. Tested again at 11.00 and it was 5.4. So better to eat when I get up rather than half hour later I think.