Alpha lipioc acid

chri5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You really need to ask your GP or pharmacist.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Better to get R-ALA. Not heard of any reason not to have it with Metformin.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Well to be honest I know of no problem taking both metformin and ALA or R-ALA at the same time in fact I do so every day at the moment. And I'm still here so far.

Crocodile

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can't have it often
I've had no problems so far. Due for my 3 monthly HbA1C in 3 weeks. I'll see how the kidneys handle it from that.
Glenn

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
How does R-ALA or ALA benefit diabetes? Which one has the most added ingredient?
R-ALA has the better absorption rate. This can aid Diabetes related neuropathy among other things. Remember to read up on it before you you shell out as some reviews cite side effects.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Because alpha lipoic acid can protect cells and neurons involved in hormone production, one benefit is it offers protection against diabetes. ALA is considered an effective drug in the treatment of diabetic distal sensory-motor neuropathy, which affects about 50 percent of people with diabetes. (5) In dietary supplement form, ALA seems to help improve insulin sensitivity and might also offer protection against metabolic syndrome — a term given to a cluster of conditions like high blood pressure, cholesterol and body weight. Some evidence also shows that it can help lower blood sugar levels.

ALA is used to help relieve complications and symptoms of diabetes caused by nerve damage, including numbness in the legs and arms, cardiovascular problems, eye-related disorders, pain, and swelling. That’s why it should be part of any diabetic diet plan to treat this common disorder. People who experience peripheral neuropathy as a side effect of diabetes can find relief from pain, burning, itching, tingling and numbness using ALA, although most studies show that high doses in IV form are most effective as opposed to eating ALA-rich foods.

A major benefit of alpha lipoic supplementation in diabetics is the lowered risk for neuropathic complications that affect the heart, since around 25 percent of people with diabetes develop cardiovascular autonomic neuropathy (CAN)

https://draxe.com/alpha-lipoic-acid/

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I will otherwise look up whether Alpha Lipoic Acid, which can be tested for in blood, is appropriate for me.
A good idea every one should check for them selves but the original question was can ALA safely be taken while taking metformin and so far I have found no indications to the contrary and have as I said been doing so for some time now with no problems arising.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Theoretically time travel is possible but so far I have not come across any time travelers. And as the link you provided did not cite any empirical evidence to the contrary I see no reason to change my opinion.

lindijanice

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hey All, took alpha-lipoic for years and just stopped for no reason, really.....In the Fall I started having major numbness, tingling in both hands. Got where it would wake me at night and Tylenol did nothing to ease the associated pain. Started R-Alpha Lipoic in February and within a month I realized I no longer had the hand problem! Go figure! So, I am a believer and yes, I take Metformin - in the process of weaning off it as making such good progress with blood sugars. For what it's worth, I will continue taking it due to the quality of life it affords me the R-ALA that is. Cheers/L

conniecar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Me too. I spoke to my GP about thyroxine and also epilepsy drugs - he just advised me not to take ALA at the same time as my morning thyroxine. It really has made a difference as I accidentally ordered 100mg instead of 300mg capsules, and after about 3 weeks was in agony again. Can’t explain the science, but after rectifying the dosage it’s getting better daily.