Should I be disappointed?

Hwad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi. I have just got my results back from my three month HbA1c test on Wednesday. It is 79 down from 103. I am not medicated (my choice) and didn’t really start my LC regime until January. I was hoping it would be lower

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That is a really good drop considering the results cover about 3 months and will have included the Xmas festivities.
Keep at it and you'll have more great results.

Ragmar

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Any drop in HbA1C is worth celebrating! I feel that I would only be disappointed if it went higher.

Cheers! remember to celebrate your wins!

Reactions: Millymay2 and Hwad

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Your "LC regime" has clearly worked, but not as well as you would have liked. Depending on when in January you started LC and when your blood test was will clearly affect how much of your progress is shown by the A1C. Do you test your BG before and after meals? If so what readings are you getting?

Hwad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you both. I am trying to tell myself not to expect miracles

Hwad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Your "LC regime" has clearly worked, but not as well as you would have liked. Depending on when in January you started LC and when your blood test was will clearly affect how much of your progress is shown by the A1C. Do you test your BG before and after meals? If so what readings are you getting?

I am testing but not every meal. My BG was 6.6 before dinner tonight (steak and veggies) and a glass of red wine. Two hours later it was 8.6
Most days I manage to be below 40g carbs. It took me a while in January to get into the diagnosis and the LC

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
You are going in the right direction. Well done! Low carbing is a learning curve, no one gets it right on day one and doesn't experience the surprises that can be thrown up as one gets to grips with it.
Are you keeping a food diary? At the beginning testing before and after all meals is very important and recording those readings alongside what you have eaten teaches you your own personal tolerances to foodstuffs.
Keep up the good work.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi. I have just got my results back from my three month HbA1c test on Wednesday. It is 79 down from 103. I am not medicated (my choice) and didn’t really start my LC regime until January. I was hoping it would be lower

how low are you in your level of daily grams of carbs ? do you count grams of carb

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Hi, you are doing just fine . Take a look at the history in my signature, That kind of trajectory is reasonably typical for someone following LCHF. If you stick with things, you should find it continually improves over time. All is going according to plan so well done!

Reactions: Hwad

Hwad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi, you are doing just fine . Take a look at the history in my signature, That kind of trajectory is reasonably typical for someone following LCHF. If you stick with things, you should find it continually improves over time. All is going according to plan so well done!

Thank you and wow that is amazing! Well Done. I will keep going

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
You are doing everything with diet that I would hope. Additionally, a short walk just before or after meals can help.

Unless you are getting BG peaking at a time of day you don't know about, I expect your next A1c will be a lot lower.

Hwad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
You are doing everything with diet that I would hope. Additionally, a short walk just before or after meals can help.

Unless you are getting BG peaking at a time of day you don't know about, I expect your next A1c will be a lot lower.

The lack of exercise is my downfall. I am hoping that now the lighter evenings are here I will feel more like getting out walking more. I am gradually increasing my daily steps

rom35

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The lack of exercise is my downfall. I am hoping that now the lighter evenings are here I will feel more like getting out walking more. I am gradually increasing my daily steps

In my case it was circle: More time under 8, more energy and desire to walk - it brings more time to be under 8 and more time under 5.6. Under 5.6 I have burst of energy and more desire to excercise - circle

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Frankly if a new pill can consistently produce this kind of improvements, the pharma company would have been ecstatic.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Hwad

As others have said, you’re doing great and your strategy is clearly working. If you keep going I’m sure you’ll see another drop next time.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
It is 79 down from 103. I

A good start, but don't forget that carbs aren't the only thing that the body will use to create.

Although your body cannot convert fats directly into muscle-ready glycogen, through a series of metabolic processes that result from conditions of depleted carbohydrates, it is possible for stored fats to be broken down into glucose, which can then be converted into glycogen.

Also the liver has the ability to convert the amino acids that are found in protein into sugar. This process is called gluconeogenesis.

My personal experience has been that after several years of low carb (40gms a day so no bread/pasta/rice/potato) and well controlled BG, my BG started to go all over the place. The thing that has helped me more recently is very low calorie dieting, I just eat vegetables, the ones that grow above ground having less carbs.

Might not be everyone but works fine for me, but only for 8 weeks at a time. I'm going to try going for 12 weeks but the impetus falls off when I experience the dreaded dieting plateau where no weight loss occurs, something I'm also trying to achieve as well as level BG.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done you’re going in the right direction and it is early days. As others say it’s a test over 3 months so will not show all your recent improvements.
Best way forward on your new way of eating is to start looking forwards and consistently logging your blood sugars before meals and two hours afterwards so that you can work out which foods don’t raise your level too much. I’ve now got a range of meals that suit me and rarely take my bgs more than 0.5 above my starting point. An increase of bg of 2.0 is seen as maximum to aim for but if you can bring it closer to a difference of 1.0 you’d be getting good control through your diet. I used a note book to log everything as found it was easier to look back and compile recipes but used Cronometer app to check fat, protein and carb quantities - but only really focused on my max carbs and their effect on my bgs! I stay below 20g of carb still most days and never stray above 30g so staying in ketosis and feeling as well and healthy as I do.
Stress too is a biggie for me. I’m a carer and find stress ups my bgs a lot! Being diagnosed in itself is a stressful time so if you do find you are stress reactive it can be good to look at ways to reduce your stress I find long walks in countryside, Pilates, coffee with friends and daily mindfulness using the Headspace app have all helped to bring my bgs down and my wellbeing up.
Hope this helps and good luck on your journey. You will turn it round and start enjoying your new way of life like so many of us on here.