PINEAPPLE AND MELON

Lesley56

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Had a couple of slices of pineapple and melon, just tested my BG, its normally around 8 coming up to lunchtime, it was 3.7, mine has never been that low and it was the only change to my normal diet, is it normal for those fruits to cause a drop ?

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Never known them to cause a drop. Pineapple is pretty high in carbs and melon is not that far behind.

Reactions: flexi06

Lesley56

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just found this,
Does a Pineapple Make Blood Sugar Low?
56400365.jpg

Related Articles

As a source of carbs, mostly sugar, it's unlikely that pineapple could lower your blood sugar. However, as a fruit that digests more quickly than others, you may experience a rebound low blood sugar effect, especially if you have diabetes. That being said, if you’re experiencing low blood sugar after eating pineapple, you might want to consult with a dietitian to evaluate the cause and develop a personalized diet strategy to keep blood sugars normal.

catinahat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Reality tv
Just a thought Lesley56, did you double check and do a retest when you got that low reading? It's not unknown to get a duff test strip

Reactions: Lesley56

Lesley56

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I didn't retest, back up to normal now, will bear that in mind though if it happens again - thanks

Reactions: catinahat

slinkimalinki

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How long after eating the pineapple and melon did you test? If you tested at 2 hours, you could have missed the spike and been on your way back to normal numbers.

Lesley56

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How long after eating the pineapple and melon did you test? If you tested at 2 hours, you could have missed the spike and been on your way back to normal numbers.
Yes that's possible, was just shocked to see level so low, my bg is always high and never goes lower than 5

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
You'd be in your own league with that reading if it's accurate

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Apart from the spike (and possible rebound affect) risk, is it worth having these fruits with regard to fatty liver and IR?