What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning all. Unfortunately, still suffering from the cold/flu (probably doesn't matter which one). Also suffering from cabin fever, and regret having gone to work on Monday, which caused the relapse. Feeling a bit sorry for myself.

Friday ...

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and xylitol. DD keto roll with mayonnaise, cheese and avocado. Three squares of 90% chocolate, a wiener sausage.

Late lunch at 3 p.m.: Zucchini-potato fiber fritters with creme fraiche and smoked salmon. Cornsalad with Caesar's dressing and parmesan.

No dinner, but a glass of dry red wine.

Will be making soup later today and hope it will help me feel better.

Reactions: DJC3

Cambiel

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've Googled but only come up with a restaurant in Jordan! Where can you buy it if it is indeed a food?
I saw these in Sainsbury's the other day, next to the chilled prepared veg section

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning all. Unfortunately, still suffering from the cold/flu (probably doesn't matter which one). Also suffering from cabin fever, and regret having gone to work on Monday, which caused the relapse. Feeling a bit sorry for myself.

Friday ...

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and xylitol. DD keto roll with mayonnaise, cheese and avocado. Three squares of 90% chocolate, a wiener sausage.

Late lunch at 3 p.m.: Zucchini-potato fiber fritters with creme fraiche and smoked salmon. Cornsalad with Caesar's dressing and parmesan.

No dinner, but a glass of dry red wine.

Will be making soup later today and hope it will help me feel better.
Big hug today it’s got to improve soon! I find too when have a virus I usually feel quite low and annoyed with my body think it’s a common effect stick with looking after yourself you will get there.
Your potato fibre and zucchini fritters sound intriguing do you buy potato starch? Does it not impact your bgs at all? And if not could we have your recipe please re quantities of each!

Reactions: DJC3 and ziggy_w

Cambiel

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello all. Out and about today -- came home quite exhausted today since I am still a bit weak from my cold.

Breakfast: Two double decaffeinated espressos with cream and erythritol. Two scrambled eggs and some roasted vegetables with about 60g of Greek yoghurt.

Snack on my way home: Two squares of 90% Lindt chocolate.

Dinner: A DD keto roll with tartar and mayonnaise, a cornsalad with Caesar's dressing and parmesan, a small glass of wine.

@maglil55 -- It is good to hear that your arms are not hurting as much anymore.
What does DD mean please?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oopsie, missed yesterday as I dashed off out after dinner to see my son’s band perform, headlining at a local music venue, proud mummy moment :happy:
Anyway yesterday:
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream (carefully measured 2 tsp) washed down with a white coffee (still using almond milk to save calories and carbs)
Lunch: 2 x boiled eggs with Marmite soldiers made from one slice of HiLo bread, followed by Greek yoghurt and raspberries.
Mid afternoon: orange chia pudding and black coffee.
Dinner: cold chicken with salad made fro cauli, brocolli and radishes, coleslaw and pork scratchings followed by strawberries with chocolate & hazelnut Oppo.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Big hug today it’s got to improve soon! I find too when have a virus I usually feel quite low and annoyed with my body think it’s a common effect stick with looking after yourself you will get there.
Your potato fibre and zucchini fritters sound intriguing do you buy potato starch? Does it not impact your bgs at all? And if not could we have your recipe please re quantities of each!

Thanks so much for your kind wishes, @shelley262. Suppose a cold/flu isn't really bad, considering. Just sometimes like to moan.

There is a low-carb supplier in Germany that has potato fibers on offer. It seems they just extract the fibrous part of the potato, rather than the starch. They state it only has 8g of carbs per 100g, so I guess most of it, is not digestible. For the batter, I use on largish zucchini, a handful of onion, three eggs and three tablespoons of potato fiber, salt, ground caraway seeds, and nigella. This makes about four to five zucchini-potato fiber fritters. As you suspected, it does impact my blood sugars a bit, but not much -- maximally 1 mmol at the peak (about 1 hour), but it might as easily be the onion or the zucchini that has this effect.

If you are interested, here is a link to the website for the potato fiber: https://www.l-carb-shop.de/index.php/special/kartoffelfasern.html . Unfortunately, the site is in German, though they ship to Britain. Maybe Google translation can help. They also have some other really cool stuff, such as cocoa fibers with 2.5g of carbs, sugar-reduced desiccated coconut and of course psyllium husks and all types of low-carb flours at quite reasonable prices.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks so much for your kind wishes, @shelley262. Suppose a cold/flu isn't really bad, considering. Just sometimes like to moan.

There is a low-carb supplier in Germany that has potato fibers on offer. It seems they just extract the fibrous part of the potato, rather than the starch. They state it only has 8g of carbs per 100g, so I guess most of it, is not digestible. For the batter, I use on largish zucchini, a handful of onion, three eggs and three tablespoons of potato fiber, salt, ground caraway seeds, and nigella. This makes about four to five zucchini-potato fiber fritters. As you suspected, it does impact my blood sugars a bit, but not much -- maximally 1 mmol at the peak (about 1 hour), but it might as easily be the onion or the zucchini that has this effect.

If you are interested, here is a link to the website for the potato fiber: https://www.l-carb-shop.de/index.php/special/kartoffelfasern.html . Unfortunately, the site is in German, though they ship to Britain. Maybe Google translation can help. They also have some other really cool stuff, such as cocoa fibers with 2.5g of carbs, sugar-reduced desiccated coconut and of course psyllium husks and all types of low-carb flours at quite reasonable prices.
Thank you very helpful will take a look when back later and see if anything similar in UK I do have inulin powder which is made from chicory root and also low carb and had wondered about experimenting with this !

Reactions: ziggy_w

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What does DD mean please?

Yes, DD means dietdoctor.com. The recipe simply is 4-5 quarter cups of low-carb flour, 1 quarter cup of psyllium husks, one teaspoon of salt, 1 package of cream of tartar-baking powder, and usually at least two cups of boiling water. The amount of boiling water determines the extent to which they will rise. (I found I don't need the egg white, which is recommended on dietdoctor, the psyllium husk is enough to keep the dough elastic). You can play around a bit with the recipe, I also add several seeds (such as sesame seed, linseed, and chia seed, plus caraway seeds, nigella seeds, ground coriander seeds, and ground fennel seeds), but this is optional. Bake for one and half hours at 175 degrees centigrade.

The recipe is really easy, quick and always works out.

Last edited:

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all
Breakfast one each of 97% pork sausage, rasher of bacon and egg cooked in coconut oil
Lunch small pieces of vintage cheddar, Stilton and Shropshire blue with nuts followed by one square of Lindt 90% choc
Dinner chicken curry served with one slice of livlife low carb bread fried in coconut oil followed by low carb raspberry mousse and now a gin and soda water........
Loving being back to three meals a day and seems to be good for my bgs which are less erratic just now and my weight - as I’m not trying to lose anymore.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all.

Still sticking to zero carbs and a 23/1 fasting day.

Dinner was Waitrose lamb kleftico followed by my super lazy mousse - melted 7 Hotel Chocolat 100% buttons in a ramekin and added 60ml of extra thick double cream and stirred. Delicious.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all.

Still sticking to zero carbs and a 23/1 fasting day.

Dinner was Waitrose lamb kleftico followed by my super lazy mousse - melted 7 Hotel Chocolat 100% buttons in a ramekin and added 60ml of extra thick double cream and stirred. Delicious.
Must try that mousse this week once my raspberry ones are finished! Sounds delicious

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Good to see you here @ickihun
I've withheld 2 meds and feeling more myself. Not to be advised but I couldnt cope with the problems it looks like they were causing. Maybe tomorrow will prove me wrong but I had to do something. Very hugely congested too so virus still hanging around. So skipped cheese today.
IBS very common with diabetics I've found out.
Not gluten free but may consider it if things don't improve.
Very soon I'll be drinking liquids after op so I'll see what is really going on.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I've withheld 2 meds and feeling more myself. Not to be advised but I couldnt cope with the problems it looks like they were causing. Maybe tomorrow will prove me wrong but I had to do something. Very hugely congested too so virus still hanging around. So skipped cheese today.
IBS very common with diabetics I've found out.
Not gluten free but may consider it if things don't improve.
Very soon I'll be drinking liquids after op so I'll see what is really going on.
May be to do with inflammation? Think a lot of these illnesses can be grouped together. I’ve found low car bing has reduced my inflammation but I’m sure we’re all different re what works and what causes inflammation cheese and cream thankfully seem fine for me. Good luck and take care....