Weight loss question

MrTickle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I started LCHF around a month ago, following a routine A1C check showing an increase.

I'm pretty overweight (was over 20 stone) and I've been forensically tracking my progress so far. Fasting and Pre and Post Prandial bloods are now seemingly sitting squarely in 'normal' range, I've been checking via ketostoix that I am staying in ketosis and I've managed to avoid cravings for anything too carby. My only issue during this time has been constipation, where I'm finding myself going every few days rather than every day although there's no discomfort or anything and I suspect it will adjust in time to my new lifestyle.

However despite all the above, I've found that whilst I was losing circa half a stone each week for the first 3 weeks, the past week has not seemingly seen me lose anything.

Is there a stop-start nature to weight loss on keto? I always assumed that as ketosis meant you were breaking down fat for energy, there should be a steady loss. Especially for folk who are considerably overweight.

Any ideas?

Reactions: ickihun

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have suffered with constipation on and off with low carbing, pain and difficulty pooing, however if you are just going less but in no discomfort then I guess there’s nothing to worry about. There’s just less stuff going through. I try to put seeds in my diet, that helps and occasionally resort to Senna.
With regard your other question about weight plateauing, I had this problem a couple of weeks ago, I had lost hardly anything in two/three weeks. I tried reducing fat intake a bit, cutting the amount of cream I was using, replacing the small amount of cow’s milk I was having with unsweetened almond milk and generally reducing portions of cheese, bacon etc... This last week I lost 1.3kg! It’s only been a week but am hoping I’ve kickstarted my weight loss again.

Reactions: lindijanice

kittypoker

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
There is a start-stop nature to keto but as long as the general trend is 'down' you don't need to worry. Half a stone a week is a large loss - two pounds is more common - though as you have a lot to lose (as did I) it's not unusual in the beginning. Quite a bit will be fluid loss and that can't continue. As you say, your body is adjusting to your new, and much healthier, lifestyle choice.

Constipation will be reflected on the scales. I find a good serving of Linwoods organic milled flaxseed or flaxseed, almonds, brazil nuts, walnuts & Q10 in a spinach and avocado smoothie several times a week to be extremely helpful. And don't forget to drink plenty of water to keep things moving.

Carb creep is always a danger but if you're checking your ketones daily, you should be fine.

Best of luck and please don't get discouraged. I've lost 6 stone, feel many times better and headed off a diagnosis. You can too! :)

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is there a stop-start nature to weight loss on keto? I always assumed that as ketosis meant you were breaking down fat for energy, there should be a steady loss. Especially for folk who are considerably overweight.
Yes it is an often reported occurrence that you can loose quickly then plateau for a while. This is usually explained by your body doing some "repairs" to itself after the initial "whoosh" of water weight. I have had 2 such plateaus previously and am currently in my 3rd which has lasted for about 9 months so far.. In total though I'm down just under 8 stone so am not especially worried. Just KCKO (keep calm and keto on).. you're doing great!

Last edited:

timat22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm the same with constipation, I now take " colon cleansing tablets"from Holland and Barrett's and they work very well. I did consult my GP but he didn't seem to be concerned.
As for the weight loss you will find some weeks very little loss and even occasionally a small gain. This morning I was exactly the same as last Saturday. Overall I've lost 21kg in 12 months so I'm more than happy to date.

Reactions: Mufflana