Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
If we lay people can figure out what the problems are with the modern diet and how to mitigate the resulting prognoses then it seems that it should not be rocket surgery to someone who sits in medical school for seven years. There would be little point in fighting to be taught the same dogma, they must (at least some of them must) question the quality of training as well as the quantity.
I feel it is time to take the head off the snake and start from scratch on what is obviously Health 101.

Reactions: ickihun and zand

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I'd prefer no nutrition training. So they can make their own mind up.

Gluten free for coeliac and crohns.
Carb free for diabetes, except for type1s in transition.
Soya, cruciferous veg (brocoli, spouts, cauliflower, cabbage) and kelp free for hypothyroidism
Etc....

I don't know much about nutrition for all conditions, just some.

kittypoker

Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I clicked on a link within that story: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-42264838

Sometimes, I despair. To compare the Pioppi and keto diets with the nonsense that is Raw Vegan, Alkaline and Katie Price's "Please add to my already substantial wealth" supplements is just sad, and scary.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think we are training the wrong people to be doctors. The ability to listen is often simply not there. My son shared a house with 3 trainee docs at uni. They turned off the heating to save money and every time he turned it on again they turned it off. It was really cold, snow on the ground. He got pneumonia and I went to collect him (ill myself with a chest infection) and he begged not to go back there. No care or compassion or even guilt from his housemates. They weren't ill, so obviously he must have done something wrong.

Reactions: dbr10

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Why can't doctors learn about nutrition themselves? It doesn't all have to be spoonfed to them surely? Dr Unwin has done it. We have done it. Why can't these so called intelligent people think for themselves?

Reactions: Guzzler

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I think we are training the wrong people to be doctors. The ability to listen is often simply not there. My son shared a house with 3 trainee docs at uni. They turned off the heating to save money and every time he turned it on again they turned it off. It was really cold, snow on the ground. He got pneumonia and I went to collect him (ill myself with a chest infection) and he begged not to go back there. No care or compassion or even guilt from his housemates. They weren't ill, so obviously he must have done something wrong.
That is very sad.
No compassion in a Dr is dangerous. They won't last.
People like me will have to educate them. It's never a sweet moment. Some have to learn the hard way thou.
Isn't that life?

Mind you I don't think a person can be taught compassion. You either have it.... or you don't.

Your son will be the winner tell him. They will come a cropper on their arrogance!

As my grandmother used to say "the taller they are, the harder they fall". :)
Its so true.

Arrogance has got us in this Brexit hardwork conundrum.

Reactions: zand