Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
May I ask you a couple of questions, please? Have you been told that you can take a medication for Diabetes then been left to get on with it? Are you under the impression that the drugs are all you need and that just by taking tablets means your Diabetes is taken care of? Have you been advised that testing is not necessary and that all you need do is take tablets and lose weight? This is the usual take home info that most of us were given on diagnosis and it is utter rubbish.

Reactions: flexi06

Kentoldlady1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The reason it is called “xpert” is to differentiate between a real expert and a real idiot

The book that goes with the course is ok. It tries to take a balanced view of various approaches and gives lchf a positive thumbs up! It was the presenter that let it down. I don't think she had read the book!

Reactions: flexi06 and Neets69

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Kentoldlady1
Did you see that the lady who created and organises the Xpert courses (and is a member here) contacted you to ask the location of the course you attended? She confirmed that LCHF should be promoted, and wanted to investigate why LCHF was not being included by the trainer at that particular date and location.

This is a link to her post
DESMOND Course .

Reactions: flexi06 and Neets69

Kentoldlady1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@Kentoldlady1
Did you see that the lady who created and organises the Xpert courses (and is a member here) contacted you to ask the location of the course you attended? She confirmed that LCHF should be promoted, and wanted to investigate why LCHF was not being included by the trainer at that particular date and location.

This is a link to her post
DESMOND Course .

Hi, thanks for that I have not been on here for quite a while, so didn't see the response. I will have alook.

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've had three c-pep tests in three years which have shown that my pancreas is producing insulin in the normal range. The three insulin resistance tests that I've had, also self funded, have shown how my insulin resistance has changed, improving from first to second and deteriorating between the second and third.

Beta cell dysfunction is upto 50% in prediabetes and upto 80% in type two diabetes. The remaining beta cells take on all the work of managing blood glucose.

'The United Kingdom Prospective Diabetes Study (UKPDS) showed that beta-cell function, as evaluated by the homeostatic model assessment (HOMA-B) index, was already decreased by 50% by the time of the diagnosis and that it continued to decline over the 6-year observation period, even with on-going hypoglycemic therapy [3].'
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4210056/

There a hundreds of studies on google regarding the role of beta cell dysfunction in type 2.

this is a good one, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4317303/

Last edited:
Reactions: Neets69

rom35

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
260 grms carbs a day
I've got the same instruction: You can eat what you want, if daily carbs intake will not go beyond the daily target. Imagine I will not eat whole day, and at the evening I will eat 175g of carbs (my prescribed target)... From measurement I know, that my limit for one food is around 5g carbs not go over 7.7 (starting at 5.6).

rom35

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
that it continued to decline over the 6-year observation period
Maybe with NHS suggested carbs intake (>=175g)? If you will start the LCHF diet just from the start (day of diagnosis) and you will control your diabetes to be inside the limits (fe 3.9-7.7), I see no reason pancreas will progress in degrading. But just my view.

Reactions: flexi06 and zand

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Beta cell dysfunction is upto 50% in prediabetes and upto 80% in type two diabetes. The remaining beta cells take on all the work of managing blood glucose.

Interesting. I wonder where I can get my Beta cell function tested? I have read that it can be calculated by mathematical manipulation of fasting levels of glucose, insulin, and C-peptide concentrations. I might have to look into that a bit further.

That second article is especially good although I'm not going to pretend I understood all of it. It does confirm, once again, that "reducing β-cell workload or inducing β-cell rest" is the way to go. That must mean lower carbs and the comment in the article encourages everyone to take that approach, not just people with diabetics.

Reactions: Alison Campbell

Neets69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes exactly - but when I looked into it further seems not - hence the confusion.

I need to find substitutes for jacket potatoes, crisps, bread my main carb addiction.
Living on weetabix for breakfast and chickens n salad until I can find out which foods are okay. Have ordered a Diabetes cook book from amazon but open to any help

Thanks everyone for your help n support

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes exactly - but when I looked into it further seems not - hence the confusion.

I need to find substitutes for jacket potatoes, crisps, bread my main carb addiction.
Living on weetabix for breakfast and chickens n salad until I can find out which foods are okay. Have ordered a Diabetes cook book from amazon but open to any help

Have you got yourself a blood glucose meter? That’s the only way to know which foods suit you. Weetabix is a choice a lot of us would avoid. I don’t know if your book is a low carb book but be careful, watch the ingredients and test yourself.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Re cookbooks please dont rely on either Phil Vickery or Antony Worrol Thompson books. The carb amounts are way too high to have an impact on reducing BG. I was given them by well meaning friends and they are on the way to the charity shop. Far better to look at Diet Doctor on line or google low carb recipes. Its surprising what you can find. All the best.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I am just wondering why you have dropped potatoes and bread, but are eating weetabix?

I agree that a blood meter is essential, and would add that finding out what are carbs and sugars to help you make choices is also essential.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have just finished a "xpert" course for t2d. Shw said we can eat anything we like. But she also said test once a month, that we need to take metformin with food because it works directly on the food we eat and we can have up to 260 grms carbs a day. So I don't really believe she knows what she is talking about. It was really very depressing.

So my answer is you can eat whatever you like, if you believe the current nhs advice. If you think the nhs has got it wrong then restrict carbs because that is the only way a t2d will keep eyesight and health.
The course expert was an idiot!

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hmmm...the answer is a resounding NO.

The pancreas of Type 2 Diabetics is functioning about 50% or less.
I think you will find that for many/most T2s the pancreas is over producing due to insulin resistance. A c-peptide test may well show that.

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

'The United Kingdom Prospective Diabetes Study (UKPDS) showed that beta-cell function, as evaluated by the homeostatic model assessment (HOMA-B) index, was already decreased by 50% by the time of the diagnosis and that it continued to decline over the 6-year observation period, even with on-going hypoglycemic therapy [3].'
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4210056/

There a hundreds of studies on google regarding the role of beta cell dysfunction in type 2.

this is a good one, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4317303/

Thx Alison, those are 2 very good links.

Buttons11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I'd recommend Michael Mosley's 8 week blood sugar recipe book.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I would say you need to stop thinking about "replacements" for the things you have listed above and instead just eat different things. It's far better to break the carb addiction than try to find "carb-like" meals in my opinion. Try a week of just eggs and bacon and steak (or whatever your favourite no carb foods are). Try to cut out as many carbs as you can and you should find that your addiction reduces. Eat lots of fat to fill up.