Is it possible??

Splang

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi guys and gals,
Question:
My latest h1c test was literally just into diabetic type 2 range (dead on)
Recently I have changed my diet to low carb and after a week I have bought a blood sugar tester and also had it checked at the pharmacy- 4.4 to 4.8 max even after eating (1 and 2 hours after).
The pharmacist told me I wasn’t diabetic as if I were my blood sugar levels wouldn’t get this low without medication.. (I am not on any meds).
have I reversed the diabetes??
Thanks
S

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The pharmacist told me I wasn’t diabetic as if I were my blood sugar levels wouldn’t get this low without medication.. (I am not on any meds).
have I reversed the diabetes??

Many T2's control their diabetes by going low carb at which point they can get non-diabetic numbers, however if they go back to normal carbs their sugar levels will rise back upto diabetic levels, so it may just be you're controlling it.

Reactions: Eldorado

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
The pharmacist is no more qualified to diagnose diabetes as any one here and for the most part we are not qualified to do so either.

For a true diagnosis I would prefer to rely on some one with a medical degree.

Ian_Laye

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think I am reversed, I tested myself on a few occasions by eating a large sausage roll and testing myself before and 2hrs after and I did not spike. I know this is not a very scientific test but at least I know that if I get a graving for the occasional treat it will not affect my blood sugar levels.

Reactions: masonap

rom35

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think I am reversed, I tested myself on a few occasions by eating a large sausage roll and testing myself before and 2hrs after and I did not spike. I know this is not a very scientific test but at least I know that if I get a graving for the occasional treat it will not affect my blood sugar levels.

You should test also 1h after eating to get the spike number. Just to have all info.
IMG_3014.jpg

Reactions: kokhongw

Kentoldlady1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
When I low carb I have non diabetic numbers, except first thing in the morning. However, one national trust scone and I am right back up there. So not in remission but very well controlled. My last hba1c was 36, so the diabetic team at my surgery no longer want to have anything to do with me. The point is that my bgl always tests low when I am careful.

Your pharmacist was wrong. And giving out such misinformation could potentially be harmful. One way to check if you are in remission is to eat the same amount of carbs that you were eating before and keep testing for a week or so. Although I really don't see that as a good idea.

masonap

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celebrity pop stars, football.
I’m not sure that I like the word ‘reversed’. I thought that if you were diabetic that was it, for life. Yes it can be controlled, and it can be controlled by diet alone. If you revert to old eating habits then I think that the diabetes will return.

Reactions: rom35

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
I reversed my type 2 with a change in diet. However, if I went back to a high carb/high sugar diet it would be unreversed.

Beagler

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Might it be possible to truly reverse T2 if you change other things, not just your carbohydrate intake? That is, not just reduce your blood sugar levels but actually get more functional blood glucose control by improving insulin resistance and pancreas function.

For instance, I strongly suspect I have suppressed my poor little pancreas by getting too blooming fat AND compounded the problem by gradually exercising less and less.

So I am having a real good bash at reducing carbohydrate intake to protect myself from complications AND trying to lose that fat from my belly to give my pancreas & liver room to work AND trying to exercise more so I have a fitter metabolism.

I hope that the end result will be "controlling my blood sugars" AND "reversing my pre-D".