Hovis Nimble bread v Low Carb bread

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I rarely eat bread these days but I keep a Waitrose LivLife seeded (3.8g per slice in the freezer in case I fancy a slice of toast. I dont like it untoasted. I have also tried Hovis Low Carb seeded and though it toasts nicely it is 9.9g per slice which is high. Normal bread is around 15/16g slice. However during the snow I had to take whatever I could get for my OH lunches and bought Hovis Nimble Wholemeal. It is 8.1g a slice and is seems the most like normal bread. My husband loved it and I thought it might work well for an open one slice sandwich for me occasionally. There is also Nimble Malted Grain but it is higher at 9.2g a slice. Just more options to plug the Lidl rolls crisis maybe?

Reactions: dbr10

Nicksu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grumpy bosses!
I'm in the minority but I'm afraid the Lidl rolls just taste like cardboard to me! Nimble at least has some flavour to it.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree with @Nicksu , I wasn’t that keen on the Lidl buns, but sympathise with those that relied on them. I buy HiLo bread from Sainsburys, it’s 5g carb for one slice (the slices are small) and is good both toasted and untoasted.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
I have tried the Morrisons protein bread which is 8 grams per slice. It is better than nimble because it is slightly heavier, how ever I prefer to have a massive leafy salad as this fills me up more than one slice of bread

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't like the Lidl rolls either, I buy various protein breads, Morrisons, Hovis and Tesco finest which is my favourite- I tolerate them all quite well, I used to use burgen but I got fed up of that one, it is a bit higher in carbs as well at average 12g slice.

I've used the weight watchers malted occasionally and I've been fine with that too. It's all about testing and finding out what you can tolerate, everyone is different:)

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have tried the Morrisons protein bread which is 8 grams per slice. It is better than nimble because it is slightly heavier, how ever I prefer to have a massive leafy salad as this fills me up more than one slice of bread
derry, sometimes ONLY a slice of bread will do! I miss bread MOST of all, I never ate it to fill me up I ate it because it tastes yum, from baguettes to sour bread to crusty white bloomers to wholemeal rolls....I could go on. I like salad too but for me, it is NO substitute. x

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
derry, sometimes ONLY a slice of bread will do! I miss bread MOST of all, I never ate it to fill me up I ate it because it tastes yum, from baguettes to sour bread to crusty white bloomers to wholemeal rolls....I could go on. I like salad too but for me, it is NO substitute. x
It’s like crack! It even if I get the dose and the timing right, I feel rubbish after eating much - I’m beginning to lump it in with my other food allergies. Yes, I could eat the things, and medicate, but I’ll feel ropey for a few hours afterwards.

Reactions: KK123

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
I too, like you, wasn't a fiber filler but I did so like a soldier to dip in my boiled egg or a chunk of baguette and pate.... and I could go on!!!

Reactions: KK123

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I posted this to show some options of low carb bread that I stumbled across. The fact that Nimble could work in a multi household impressed me. IMO none of the protein breads I have tried are like real bread. The heaviest and chewiest is not attractive to me. There are often men (or their wives) on the forum trying to find bread to make packed lunch for a Diabetic and this could make a sandwich for someone in a very physical job or a lorry driver. When I did my DESMOND course the person in the room who was the most challenged was a 40 something driver. I dont know how many of these guys are on the forum but eating to the meter must be very difficult.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I do know what you mean. It's just that I feel if I eat one slice of bread I cannot eat anything else because I do not want to up my carb intake, and end up being hungry. What I used to love was uncut warm seedy bread dipped in Balsamic and Olive oil.. Oh those were the days my friend lol

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Aww bless you. Have Morrisons changed the ingredients in the Protein bread, only it does not seem as dense, and it is much lighter?

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a couple of slices of the various low carb breads on offer, Hovis low carb or the Burgen bread. No more than that. It fits in with my 30 to 100 carbs a day restriction.

Last edited:

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I posted this to show some options of low carb bread that I stumbled across. The fact that Nimble could work in a multi household impressed me. IMO none of the protein breads I have tried are like real bread. The heaviest and chewiest is not attractive to me. There are often men (or their wives) on the forum trying to find bread to make packed lunch for a Diabetic and this could make a sandwich for someone in a very physical job or a lorry driver. When I did my DESMOND course the person in the room who was the most challenged was a 40 something driver. I dont know how many of these guys are on the forum but eating to the meter must be very difficult.
I have been doing some physical work on a part time footing. My packed lunch comprised today:

2 apples,
Small pot of peanuts
2 baby bell cheeses
Water
Diet Coke

I am too busy to eat a lot in the middle of the day and have a good low carb high fat cooked breakfast and evening meal.

I don’t use a meter.

I had considered low carb bread in the packed lunch but having had 2 slices at breakfast time, that was or is enough.

Last edited: