CBA....

Rachette

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I'm after some inspiration?

Ive hit the D wall :(

Its not that i dont know how to carb count and manage my food intake (ive done DAFne and read all the books) or that im not clear on the consequences of not testing and adjusting sensibly throughout the day, or even that i'm unclear on long term consequences if i dont do all of the above.
I just CBA.... to be blunt!

Im fairly new to all this (3 years diagnosed) and so really shouldnt be at this stage yet but here I am.
Im finding myself daily now, in the mid 20's because ive not tested since breakfast and more recently not at all (I'm highly ashamed to actually write that last statement down!)
It's almost like I'm choosing to forget or something , I litrally did forget on saturday all day!!

I understand its all about routine and habit forming and I really had got it nailed, until this past 6 months when its all gone out the window.
I'm so sick and tired of Diabetes and the side affects and I just want it to go away (I know, we all do!) but I also know thats not an option.
I'm so sorry this sounds as whiney as it does but i had to get it out.
Can someone give me a much needed kick up the backside please?

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I’ve been exactly where you are now, burnout sucks. You know all the rules, you know all the implications, but somehow it just doesn’t matter enough to actually DO the thing. Even two near fatal DKAs weren’t enough to hammer it home for me.

The thing that changed it for me was getting a Libre on a three month trial, and having a challenge set to reduce my HbA1c by a certain amount to keep it long term. I think I knew that it really was last chance saloon for me. Is that maybe something you can get through your care team? It turned this totally burned out T1 into someone that’s engaged and finally taking control of my stupid flesh prison.

Try not to look on it as the disease you need to take control of but your body. You can pull this back and run your body better - you’ll feel better too, physically and mentally.

But it’s a long haul, we don’t get a day off. And we’re perfectly entitled and justified in having a foot stamping session at the sheer unfairness of it all. Sending hugs (and a gentle kick up the bum) <3

Rachette

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Mel dCP
...... and thats exactly what I needed, thank you :)
A non-judgemental acknoweledgement that I'm not the only one that feels like this sometimes.
I cancelled my last care team appointment, and unfortunately they are annual so not in again now until end August.
I will certainly talk the Libre through with them when I go.
Thank you again for your reply.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Happy to chat via PM if it’ll help. You’re most definitely not alone.

On the Libre front, if you’ve got a relatively up to date phone, you can use that to scan a Libre sensor rather than paying for the official scanner. Might be worth self funding a sensor or two just to get back on track.

Reactions: Rachette

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
On the Libre front, if you’ve got a relatively up to date phone, you can use that to scan a Libre sensor rather than paying for the official scanner. Might be worth self funding a sensor or two just to get back on track.
I thought you still needed the scanner to activate the sensor????

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Hi, I'm after some inspiration?

Ive hit the D wall :(

Its not that i dont know how to carb count and manage my food intake (ive done DAFne and read all the books) or that im not clear on the consequences of not testing and adjusting sensibly throughout the day, or even that i'm unclear on long term consequences if i dont do all of the above.
I just CBA.... to be blunt!

Im fairly new to all this (3 years diagnosed) and so really shouldnt be at this stage yet but here I am.
Im finding myself daily now, in the mid 20's because ive not tested since breakfast and more recently not at all (I'm highly ashamed to actually write that last statement down!)
It's almost like I'm choosing to forget or something , I litrally did forget on saturday all day!!

I understand its all about routine and habit forming and I really had got it nailed, until this past 6 months when its all gone out the window.
I'm so sick and tired of Diabetes and the side affects and I just want it to go away (I know, we all do!) but I also know thats not an option.
I'm so sorry this sounds as whiney as it does but i had to get it out.
Can someone give me a much needed kick up the backside please?
Can't do bum kicks just a hug. You're doing well, sometimes my positivity lets me down and that after 8 months. Thanks to @Mel dCP for wise words

Reactions: kev-w and Rachette

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I don't use the LibreLink phone app so am not up to speed on it. They've introduced a new version recently so best bet is probably to try downloading it - if it doesn't download, it means the phone's not compatible.

Some stuff about it at link below. There's a link to a compatibility guide which has a surprisingly short list of compatible phones.

https://www.freestylelibre.co.uk/libre/products/mobile-app-librelink.html

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Mel dCP
...... and thats exactly what I needed, thank you :)
A non-judgemental acknoweledgement that I'm not the only one that feels like this sometimes.
I cancelled my last care team appointment, and unfortunately they are annual so not in again now until end August.
I will certainly talk the Libre through with them when I go.
Thank you again for your reply.

Would it be worth ringing the care team, say you're struggling a bit and ask could the appointment be rebooked pretty please with an unglazed cherry on top?

And when you get up in the morning grit your teeth and test, then test again a couple of hours later, then before lunch and by mid afternoon when you're in range, testing as you go then you'll not be feeling ashamed at the 20s.

Finger pricking sucks but is essential, high bloods drain you as much as low ones.
I'm probably not very good at advice

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I hit the diabetes wall sometime last year after 20 years going strong. I still sort of am at the brick wall but I'm kind of getting there and trying to get back into the swing of things although not easy it is doable it's just about having the right mentality towards things and saying well actually I can do this and I want to do this to feel better in myself. I stopped testing my blood sugars and my nurse recommended the freestyle libre, it's extremely helpful and I've been using it for a few months. It helps me track my sugars a lot better and see where things may be going wrong for me, also it takes as little as a few seconds to see what my sugars are and it saves my poor fingers from multiple finger pricks. Diabetes is never easy and anyone who says it is, is lying. There'll always be struggles we all go through but it's about finding the balance to get things right. You've done the right thing by posting here as admittance is one of the first steps to "recovery" from this bad period. Even though your next appointment isn't until August you could try ringing up your team for an appointment maybe with your nurse or even visit your local doctor with your concerns so they can also help you out. Wishing you all the best!

Reactions: LooperCat

Rachette

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@kev-w
@Nicola M
Really appreciate your replies, I think my ‘Denial’ stage is back at the moment as I’m struggling with the whole thing.
Have been reading through my old paperwork tonight and trying to find blogs, papers, and info on the tests I’ve had done to see how, why it happened! Is there a mistake! Where did I go wrong! etc etc
I feel as though I’ve gone totally backwards and I’m right at the beginning again.

I guess that’s a great place to start though and I need to get back on track.
Another confession..... I cancelled my appointment because I knew my H1c would be way up, I knew my weight would be way up, I knew my attitude would be way up and I feel overwhelmed with the shame.
Thanks for all your responses I’ll make that call tomorrow.

NoKindOfSusie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Don't feel bad, I realised what the situation was after about a week and have just been mechanically going through the motions ever since, constantly wondering why I'm bothering.

I should have had about three appointments by now, I managed to get out of all of them but I have one next week so here we go.

I cannot imagine having had it for 20 years like Nicola, I can't even imagine having had it for 3 years like you. I'm 7 months into this and just not really seeing the point. So you are totally not alone.

Rachette

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@NoKindOfSusie there is every point, really there is.
I know this and I’m sure you do too
For me I’ve always struggled with the acceptance (but trust me I tried doing it my way, and it was vile!)
So I’m still sticking that dam needle in when I go boiling hot and fatigue threatens to literally over-whelm me. It’s all the other bits I need to get my head round.

7 months in you will still definitely need the support around you as if it’s anything like my team, once they switch you to yearly appointments it’s as if they are saying “ok off you go, I’ll see you in a year!”
At the risk of sounding like pot calling kettle, if you can try and make your appointments just for the support.

Reactions: kev-w

NoKindOfSusie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@NoKindOfSusie there is every point, really there is.
I know this and I’m sure you do too
For me I’ve always struggled with the acceptance (but trust me I tried doing it my way, and it was vile!)
So I’m still sticking that dam needle in when I go boiling hot and fatigue threatens to literally over-whelm me. It’s all the other bits I need to get my head round.

7 months in you will still definitely need the support around you as if it’s anything like my team, once they switch you to yearly appointments it’s as if they are saying “ok off you go, I’ll see you in a year!”
At the risk of sounding like pot calling kettle, if you can try and make your appointments just for the support.

I'm not going to go through it all again as the rest of everyone on this forum has heard it a billion times, so let's just keep it to "there is no support."

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I'm not going to go through it all again as the rest of everyone on this forum has heard it a billion times, so let's just keep it to "there is no support."

OK, you haven't had any support, or if you have it clearly hasn't been enough. And I really don't think the threats of diabetic complications if you don't keep perfect blood sugars are helpful to new diabetics. You've got time to learn how insulin works.
Please tell your clinic how you're feeling (eg that your life has ended and you'll never be happy again) and also tell them if your insulin is still making you feel ill, which it definitely shouldn't. There are other long acting insulins you can use if lantus doesn;t work for you, and long term you could even go on an insulin pump if that suits you better. Please ASK FOR HELP. (OK, maybe your clinic is useless and they won't give you any but at this stage you don't have anything to lose by asking.) Don't let them fob you off with a 5 minute chat and an instruction to come back in 6 months time. Make them do their job, which is to help you.

Good luck. (Despite the irritated replies you've had to some of your posts on here, most of us do have some appreciation of how hard a new T1 diagnosis can be, and we do honestly want you to get to a better place, both mentally and physically. No, you can't get to a non diabetic place, but you can get to a better place than you are now. Hope this post doesn't come across as condescending, I really don't mean it to be.).

Reactions: **shell** and kev-w