Meter and no meds vs no meter and meds

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm doing well following a LCHF diet. Got my hba1c down from 62 to 42 in approximately 3 months so I'm delighted. This is through checking what works for me by using meter and test strips. I've just been to lunch with a good friend who's husband was diagnosed a short time before me. He is taking metformin and was told testing not necessary (as I was to be honest). He isn't due back at Dr for about 9 months. If this is the case am I right to assume the metformin will be keeping his BG balanced or will he be spiking when he eats things like bread, pasta, rice, potatoes etc. He is even enjoying hot cross buns packed with fruit! Not one test being done to see how his body is coping. I told her what I was doing and she noticed straight away I have lost weight (34lbs).i told her how I have done it. She said the Drs told her husband he didn't need to test and gave him the standard pie chart of what he can eat and how much. The one that states 1/3 carbs daily! I didn't want to sound patronising by telling about all I had learned and just have a 5 minute rundown. And quickly shut up as she didn't look impressed as it looks like I'm going against medical advice. What will be happening to her husband readings when be has all these carbs? Anyone any ideas. I feel a bit confused as to why Drs don't give out the info I easily obtained from this website that obviously works in bringing down BS :wideyed:

Reactions: jos64 and mojo37

mojo37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
All you can do is give him your own advice and suggest he does some research himself on sites such as these. I have colleagues who have type 2 diabetes and just take their meds and carry on eating whatever they want. Most don't test even tho some of them have had free testing strips ( this seems to differ from practice to practice mine supplied me with a meter but no strips ) I buy my own and without testing I wouldn't have a clue how high my BG is because I don't feel ill or thirsty or tired .

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done on getting your HbA1c down so far in a short time. Your friend’s husband has been given the standard NHS advice and is obviously relying on the Metformin. However Metformin only has a very minimal effect on blood sugars and eating things like hot cross buns will more than likely be spiking him really high :wideyed:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It is easy to follow doc’s orders when it means just popping the odd pill and not changing anything else.
And many, many people take that route, for many reasons.

You are to be congratulated for doing the research to educate yourself to help your own health.

If taken consistently, Metformin takes a couple of weeks to build up in the system to be effective. So I hope he is taking them regularly.

Once at an effective dose, it lowers blood glucose a little.
It does not iron out spikes.
It does reduce liver dumps a bit.
It does not stop a rise after meals.

Efficacy does, of course depend on the person and the dose.

https://beta.nhs.uk/medicines/metformin/

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done on getting your HbA1c down so far in a short time. Your friend’s husband has been given the standard NHS advice and is obviously relying on the Metformin. However Metformin only has a very minimal effect on blood sugars and eating things like hot cross buns will more than likely be spiking him really high :wideyed:
How is he w we going to know? I'm feeling confused today but happy doing what I'm doing. Thank you.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you eat with them again perhaps you should take your meter and offer him a go with it - he might get quite a shock

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you eat with them again perhaps you should take your meter and offer him a go with it - he might get quite a shock

That’s what I was going to suggest too.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm doing well following a LCHF diet. Got my hba1c down from 62 to 42 in approximately 3 months so I'm delighted. This is through checking what works for me by using meter and test strips. I've just been to lunch with a good friend who's husband was diagnosed a short time before me. He is taking metformin and was told testing not necessary (as I was to be honest). He isn't due back at Dr for about 9 months. If this is the case am I right to assume the metformin will be keeping his BG balanced or will he be spiking when he eats things like bread, pasta, rice, potatoes etc. He is even enjoying hot cross buns packed with fruit! Not one test being done to see how his body is coping. I told her what I was doing and she noticed straight away I have lost weight (34lbs).i told her how I have done it. She said the Drs told her husband he didn't need to test and gave him the standard pie chart of what he can eat and how much. The one that states 1/3 carbs daily! I didn't want to sound patronising by telling about all I had learned and just have a 5 minute rundown. And quickly shut up as she didn't look impressed as it looks like I'm going against medical advice. What will be happening to her husband readings when be has all these carbs? Anyone any ideas. I feel a bit confused as to why Drs don't give out the info I easily obtained from this website that obviously works in bringing down BS :wideyed:
I'm afraid that he will be living proof that Type 2 is a chronic progressive disease just as his doctor said.
Can't you get them to join up here? We'll help take the strain rather than you alone?

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was so fortunate as I was given a meter and test strips (200 a time) when first diagnosed and told to use them. I used them to adjust my diet to what worked for me. As soon as I showed I had some control I was told I could stop testing or only 3 spot checks a week. I was told I was only told to test as it was obvious I would be going straight on Insulin. I don't think I could have reduced my HbA1c into non diabetic levels without testing. I know of a number of diabetics who had been given meters and test strips but hardly ever use them. A meter will only work if the person is willing and wants to change their diet depending on the readings. The majority of diabetics I know do not want to change so even if they have the tools (meters) they are unlikely to be used. I now fund my own meter and test strips as I wish to maintain control.

Reactions: rom35

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
he will know by his HbA1c test results : (
Not for sure, as A1c results are only averages. A good A1c can conceal a harmful pattern of lows and spikes, especially after eating. ESPECIALLY after eating hot cross buns!!! (I was longing for those in Morrisons today.) On the other hand I guess if the A1c is bad, things are definitely not going well.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
But make sure to have some spare lancets with you and clean the lancet gun well between users.

bigjim19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
a lot of food im supposed to eat yuk
I'm afraid that he will be living proof that Type 2 is a chronic progressive disease just as his doctor said.
Can't you get them to join up here? We'll help take the strain rather than you alone?

Was going to suggest joining here but got beat to the punch

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
All you can do is give him your own advice and suggest he does some research himself on sites such as these. I have colleagues who have type 2 diabetes and just take their meds and carry on eating whatever they want. Most don't test even tho some of them have had free testing strips ( this seems to differ from practice to practice mine supplied me with a meter but no strips ) I buy my own and without testing I wouldn't have a clue how high my BG is because I don't feel ill or thirsty or tired .
I did tell my friend about this site so hoping she will check it out. Thanks @mojo37

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks @Rachox thats what i thought, it makes no sense to me!

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It is easy to follow doc’s orders when it means just popping the odd pill and not changing anything else.
And many, many people take that route, for many reasons.

You are to be congratulated for doing the research to educate yourself to help your own health.

If taken consistently, Metformin takes a couple of weeks to build up in the system to be effective. So I hope he is taking them regularly.

Once at an effective dose, it lowers blood glucose a little.
It does not iron out spikes.
It does reduce liver dumps a bit.
It does not stop a rise after meals.

Efficacy does, of course depend on the person and the dose.

https://beta.nhs.uk/medicines/metformin/
Thanks @Brunneria for clarifying how metformin works, its as i thought re spikes. I just dont get why drs are not dishing out monitors and test strips which would be a great way to get diabetics on the recovery road.

deb1960

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorant, homophobic, racist people
To be honest I just took the doctor at his word that it was inevitable that I would be diabetic as there are so many family members who are diabetic (my uncle died whilst in a diabetic coma) plus having one endocrine condition ( started off with graves disease ) the chances of having another was almost inevitable. I started on metformin and was doing okay...can't be certain as I wasn't testing but having to take steroids tipped me over into having to use insulin. Obviously once on insulin I had to test before every meal but I just recorded my bs and left it like that. It was only when my bs were going higher and I thought I'd have to asked the dn to increase my medication as I'd been told that it was a progressive condition that I suddenly thought I can't face this any more. I read the blood sugar diet by Michael Mosley and decided that it was going to be proactive and do the lchf and I've never looked back. Over 2 stone lost and no longer taking insulin. I wish that someone like you Deb had told me about the changes I needed before I'd started down the road to weight gain and damage to my body. I was at a family funeral last week and everyone said how great I look and couldn't believe me when I said it was all down to cutting out carbs.

bangkokdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I Like many others when first diagnosed in the U.K. was ignorant about diabetes except for the most simple things like avoid sugar and it for life. So Its a steep learning curve and to be honest a lot of the information you get on the world wide web is Rubbish so first it takes a strong person to go against the advice of medical experts. on testing I did not even know about personal testing that why you go to the doctor hospital etc. Then when you decide to test 20 times a day differing figures what does it all mean then some tells you about this site and others and things gradually begin to make sense until you visit The Doctor/Nurse again to be told your actions are not needed your diet is wrong etc Eventually you begin to trust yourself and forums like this but then you are in danger of becoming even more boring and I'm afraid this is a life long problem I have to stop myself from boring friends on the dangers of sugar and why they should avoid certain foods etc. The warning signs are when their eyes glaze over and start to yawn. Sadly you can only offer advice if needed let them know your there if needed And continue to be an Example the offer to test their blood is a good one but be prepared for a negative response

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What will be happening to her husband readings when be has all these carbs? Anyone any ideas. I feel a bit confused as to why Drs don't give out the info I easily obtained from this website that obviously works in bringing down BS

His BS will go thru the roof. And over time he will be told that he has done his best and it is natural that he would need more medication etc. that is just the chronic and progressive nature of T2D. Nothing anybody can do about it...don't blame himself or anybody for his fate...like sheep fattened for the slaughter.

Unfortunately that narrative is all too familiar around the world. I have lived with that for over 30 years watching my father and many aunts/uncles gone down that path. Ending with kidney failures, lower limbs amputation...never questioning what the all the esteemed medical professionals said.

Until I normalized my glucose levels within days. The scales had fallen off my eyes and now realized that a whole generation have been and will continue to be misled. That knowledge came all too late for my father, but I will take my chances with the unknown dangers of normal glucose levels against the guaranteed grim outcome of high glucose levels that ADA and friends embraced. Hopefully you will too...

rom35

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That knowledge came all too late for my father
The same for my mother in law - died at 72 for vascular incident, lowest number of BG 8. It was one year before I was diagnosed - If I would know the same as today, I could do something about that - she was very cooperative because she liked to live. :grumpy:

Last edited: