Daughter just diagnosed

Straw362

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone

I’ve just joined this forum , my 9 year daughter just been diagnosed with type 1 , 3 weeks ago. Been reading some topics everyone been posting. My daughter’s blood counts are around 5 before bed last couple of nights.She had a hypo last night My question is , would she wake up if she is having a hypo if asleep ?

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. The body is generally quite good at waking you up when having a hypo and the body usually dumps emergency glucose from the liver but it does depend on how severe the hypo is. As time goes on you and your daughter will gain experience in how to avoid hypos. I assume your daughter is on the Basal/Bolus regime with 4 to 5 daily injections. Does she carb-count i.e. adjust the Bolus meal-time insulin to match the carbs in the meal?

Reactions: Straw362

Straw362

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Daibell
Yes we have just started carb counting this week , daughter is doing great ie her own injections, under supervision, so at the moment everything still new.Ive got so many questions lol Is there any best time for her to have evening meal /tea , because we have been told to give her lantus around 8.30 everynight.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Is she just having lantus or is she having short acting before meals as well? Theoretically the evening meal should be balanced out by the short acting insulin before it, so it shouldn't really matter when you have it. (Having said that, if you leave a few hours between evening meal and going to bed then the night time reading will be more useful, as she'll have mostly finished her meal time carb and insulin.) If she had a hypo during the night I would recommend ringing your diabetes nurse and asking for advice, as night time hypos are not a good idea and she may need to modify her insulin and/or diet. Then you can ask her about timing of evening meal as well!

Straw362

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Ellie
She has her lantus as her slow release insulin through the night & her humolog for meal times , I was just wondering if she was having them too close to each other ie the odd night it might 7pm humolog with her evening meal , 8.30 for lantus slow release . Any information is great at the moment thanks

Straw362

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
My daughter wants to start netball up again after being diagnosed 3 weeks ago , but bit confused what to give her before, during & after training/matches , we were told 20 carbs before with no insulin, but not sure what else to do during & after ?? Confused Dad , anybody help me

jadeashton24

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
My daughter wants to start netball up again after being diagnosed 3 weeks ago , but bit confused what to give her before, during & after training/matches , we were told 20 carbs before with no insulin, but not sure what else to do during & after ?? Confused Dad , anybody help me

I would personally say to have 20 grams of carbs in the form of something like pasta or some cream crackers, and not have the insulin for that snack, then test every Half hour or so until you know how sports affect her blood sugars.
I would also recommend asking for a meeting with the diabetic team, and they should be able to assist you with a care plan for whilst she is at netball, including how to notice low blood sugar levels, what snacks are suitable that can be eaten without the need for insulin (such as cheese squares) and hopefully this will put your mind at ease as much as hers

Good luck to you and your daughter

Jade

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Straw362 Unfortunately no she may just sleep through a hypo and wake up high in the morning, as a priority please call her team asap as it's important to avoid night time hypos and they will want to review her insulin doses with you, sorry but no one else but her team can advise about her doses at this stage, over time you will learn to adjust these, they may loan you a continuous glucose monitor too so you can see what her night time BG levels are like. As she is newly diagnosed her requirements can change, she may well experience a honeymoon phase as insulin therapy will help her 'stressed' pancreas produce some more insulin, it is a temporary phase and hence why it's vital to maintain a dialogue with her team as much as possible to review insulin requirements.

A great book to help learn more is 'Think like a pancreas', knowledge really does help :)

justadad

my 9 year daughter just been diagnosed with type 1 , 3 weeks ago. Been reading some topics everyone been posting. My daughter’s blood counts are around 5 before bed last couple of nights.She had a hypo last night

Hi,

Your daughter's hypo, could be that she is entering honeymoon. Please check regularly, the prescribed dose might be too high for her, in case her pancreas has decided to produce some insulin. My son had frequent hypos within a month from diagnosis, until we got the right dose of insulin. Got discharged with a prescription for a total of 30 units a day. Eventually he got to as little as 4 units a day.

I have heard that some endos recommend that one should avoid going to bed with BG levels of 6 or less. My son normally has a light snack before bed in case he is below 6.

Intense sport activity might actually raise blood glucose levels, at least so I've read. My son practices football twice a week, and usually his levels tend to drop by 2-3 points after a 60 minutes of moderate practice. We have tried a variety of snacks to match his practice, looks like best option for him is a high protein bar. The one he normally takes is a 60 gram bar, with some 30% carbs.

All of the above is from our year long experience. Not an expert advice. Hope you soon find answers! Best of luck!

Reactions: Juicyj and Straw362

JMK1954

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hypos at night are potentially very dangerous. I would not dream of going to sleep with a BS of 5.

Straw362

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for your information everyone it’s really useful , learning more each day . I spoke to the diabetes team today, as my daughter had 2 hypo’s , 2 hours after food , 1 in morning & then 1 at tea even though our carb counts were right to the insulin ratio & they have altered my daughter insulin ratio for night & during the day & she also said that daughter’s blood count should be between 6 & 10 before bed.It was 5.9 so we let her have a snack before bed thx again everyone for sharing your knowledge

Reactions: justadad and Juicyj