Supplements

David79

Until I diagnosed last week I had been taking dietary supplements – multivitamin, vitamin c and Omega Oils – Is it ok to continue taking these?

Thanks for the help

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
It has been suggested, by Dr Richard Bernstein in his book 'Dr Bernstein's Diabetic Revolution', that Vitamin C above about 400mg per day will increase blood glucose levels. I don't know whether he's right, but someone else may. Check how much Vit C you're getting between your Vit C and the multivitamin.

The others shouldn't do any harm to bg, as far as I know. If you're eating lots of fresh veg you should get most of what you need in your diet, but you're not likely to OD on a small amount of supplement. I supplement in winter. My bg levels have been a little lower since I stopped my 1000mg slow-release Vit C, but I don't know whether that was because I stopped them, or because of the low-carb + metformin improving things anyway!

Good luck! :D

onlytwintip

I took Berocca tablets at one point which is supposedly very low in sugar and it made my levels go up quite a lot. It confused me quite a bit so I contacted them and they said it shouldn't effect sugar levels as it hardly has any sugar. Confused, I simply stopped taking them...

Hope that's useful

Harry.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi David,

I take a cod liver oil off the spoon everyday but don't take a multivitamin or vitamin c, provided you eat a good range of fresh fruit and vegetables there really isn't any need to take vitamin c or a multivitamin.

Nigel

phraedus

100902121049-large.jpg

Why Fish Oils Work Swimmingly Against Inflammation and Diabetes

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 121049.htm