Please help urgent advice needed!

Postleneo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi guys had dinner a few hours ago followed by a snack I have insulin on board but don't know how much. Just went to change battery on my Animas Vibe and found the battery had completely corroded. Phoned Animas who said pump unsafe and am waiting a replacement tomorrow morning. My issue is getting through the night not sure whether to inject a small amount of background insulin or basically wake every few hour to inject a bolus. Am really unsure as hopefully will get the replacement pump by 10am in the morning Your advice will really be appreciated

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi guys had dinner a few hours ago followed by a snack I have insulin on board but don't know how much. Just went to change battery on my Animas Vibe and found the battery had completely corroded. Phoned Animas who said pump unsafe and am waiting a replacement tomorrow morning. My issue is getting through the night not sure whether to inject a small amount of background insulin or basically wake every few hour to inject a bolus. Am really unsure as hopefully will get the replacement pump by 10am in the morning Your advice will really be appreciated

Hi there @Postleneo - I have no idea as I'm not an insulin user, never mind pumper, but I'll tag @Juicyj , @himtoo and @catapillar for you, just off the top of my head.

I hope your replacement pump arrives promptly in the morning.

andi140373

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If your pump is still working I would continue to use it. Batteries take a while to corrode so if your glucose levels have been as expected, tonight should not be noticeably different to last night (you are just aware that there maybe an issue). Consider setting an alarm for 2am to do a quick test just to make sure

Postleneo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the response but battery ll looks like it completely exploded and animal's guy advised under no circumstances to continue to use the pump. I am thinking of maybe injecting a dose of basal and when the pump arrives to put a minus 100% reduction if that's possible but not sure how much Toujeo to take was previously taking 6 units... Started pumping at 5 units basal (Fiasp) but now take 10. 36units

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Personally, if I knew I was getting a replacement pump the following morning, I would use my quick acting insulin to correct every few hours.

Reactions: EllieM

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
D

Deleted Account

My diabetes team have always been very keen that I have spare pen supplies of basal and bolus in case my pump fails.
These live in the fridge most of the time unless I go away overnight (I take a syringe for manual corrections if the pump fails during a day time outing).
I would strongly recommend requesting this for piece of mind in the future.

Postleneo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How have the bloods been @Postleneo ??
Hi there.. Bloods have been between 9 and 12 taking between 1.5 and 2 units every 2 hours. Replacement pump was a no show won't be here now till tomorrow... Well cheesed off... DNS now advised to take my Toujeo at 20% more than current total daily basal and to attach pump when I get it tomorrow evening..... Trials and tribulations of T1 hey..... Cheers for asking

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Postleneo Glad you're ok and I think you're doing incredibly well to keep your BG levels around 9-12. It's a pain that the pump won't come till tomorrow but try as much as you can not to stress. I have to admit I would of tried a battery in the pump regardless just to see if I could keep it going as it's not easy transitioning from pump to mdi even if it's a day or so, also a shame your DSN doesn't carry a spare pump as stock either to loan you, some trusts do have them for demos and if someone hands them back in.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Hi there.. Bloods have been between 9 and 12 taking between 1.5 and 2 units every 2 hours. Replacement pump was a no show won't be here now till tomorrow... Well cheesed off... DNS now advised to take my Toujeo at 20% more than current total daily basal and to attach pump when I get it tomorrow evening..... Trials and tribulations of T1 hey..... Cheers for asking

Well done for keeping your bloods at a reasonable level. Fingers crossed for today for you