End of honeymoon period

Jc3131

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What actually happens when the honeymoon period ends?

Do you wake one morning with ultra high blood sugars? Or is it more of a gradual thing, where over time your bloods are rising and the need for more Basal/bolus insulin?

Just curious as Im nearly a year into my t1 life and I've seen no decline in my honeymoon period.

Cheers John

Reactions: mountaintom

justadad

Hi,

I too would like to hear what others have experienced.
My son is type 1. In honeymoon for 13 months, at least his endo said his honeymoon was slowly coming to end.
In the past month, he's been struggling to maintain decent levels.A month ago he was on 2 units of novomix in the morning and 2 in the evening, with the occasional 1 unit of novorapid for lunch.
Now, a month later, 4 units of lantus as basal, 2 units of novorapid for every meal, and event this seems not enough. Probably we'll try 3 units for meals as of tomorrow.

D

Deleted Account

I found the honeymoon period gradually declined: it was not a sudden thing.

However, I have read somewhere that the honeymoon period varies very much per person and according to age.
For me, my insulin requirements gradually increased over about 3 years until they were about what they are now.
Although I often find I need a tweak here or there.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve been married 9 years. It’s definitely a gradual thing. Eventually you just want to give up. OOPS SORRY WRONG FORUM.
I'm presuming they call it the 'honeymoon' period because once it's over it's downhill all the way??

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
I also found mine was gradual, it was easy to spot as it became a struggle, so back to the drawing board and do some basal fasting tests first to check your background, then review your bolus ratios.

Reactions: LucySW

Jc3131

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Since I posted this message las week my bloods have shot up. Im regularly hitting the 9mmol mark and I am going into the mid teens more often.

Could this be the beginning of the end for my under fire pancreas? I still have my normal readings but I've been going to bed with higher readings, having a disturbed sleep, and then waking with slightly higher readings than normal. I had to test during the night and at
3.30am I was 8.8mmol.

I don't know if its just a glitch with my body or my pancreas failing. Time will tell.

chips

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
diet coke and most diet drinks as they all taste vile
From what i understand it varies from person to person. some will raise gradually where as others will suddenly jump (like me)

Reactions: Jc3131

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Could be a glitch @Jc3131 - I seem to be fighting a changing battle with my honeymoon period. I go through phases where my ratios are just too strong and I'm chasing being under my target range and hypos despite counting carbs correctly and then I have the opposite at times.

It's like chucking a dart at a moving board some days!

Jc3131

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My problem at the moment is that im always hungry. I need more food but i cannot just eat for the sake of it anymore as i would be like pin cushion.

I am around 16lbs lighter than I was a month or so before diagnosis and I need to put at least half that back on.