Need to GAIN weight and maintain low BG level!

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I too am a skinny T2. I was a healthy weight before diagnosis but when I cut the carbs I lost one and three quarter stones leaving me underweight for my height. I would like to gain some weight but unless I eat carbs (and have a very high glucose) I can't so I just live with being skinny!

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Another type 2 skinny here I am a 73 yr old lady and I weigh 43'2 k which sounds more than 6 stone something ! I don't count calories because I really enjoy my food and worrying about whether I have eaten enough would take the fun out of eating (for me ) I eat lots of cheese and vegetables with butter on some nuts but too many up my BGS I have double jersey cream with full fat yoghurt and some berries or small amount of satsuma for pudding most days I cook most of my fish ,chicken and meat in butter .Home made soup with cream .My cholesterol levels came down with this type of eating So my advice is enjoy what you eat , watch your BGs high BGS is.worse for you than under weight
P S A glass of red wine helps :)
CAROL

CL_in_NZ

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can relate. I lost 12kgs in three months after going LC. I started looking at my calorie intake and realised I was burning about 3.5k a day (I am tall and run a lot) while eating ~2k, at least according to my fitbit. I made a conscious effort to up my calories as I didn't want to get any lighter. I now snack on nuts big time a couple times a day and eat a bunch of LC crackers I make with dips or cheese when I get home from work. I drink olive oil on occasion too particularly if I haven't eaten much that day.

My ongoing challenge is I don't really get that hungry and it is easy to forget to snack. I lost another kg in the last month because of this. My BMI is still normal (21) but I know this is something I am going to have to be careful with as I could easily drop more weight and I want to stay where I am.

I have been thinking about upping my carbs (they don't really do that much to my BG so I can) but I like how I feel on low carbs and I have lost the taste for a lot of things. So, I am going to have to keep up eating more than I really want to and suspect this is going to be an ongoing challenge for me. I have upped my protein and am doing more resistance to build muscle so that helps I think but TBH there are not a lot of calories there. It is just something I am going to have to keep working on and being careful about.

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Sincere thanks to EVERYONE who has responded to my query. Apart from anything else it's nice to know I'm not alone in needing to gain a bit of weight!
I was diagnosed as a result of mentioning to my GP that I'd lost about 10kg over about 2 years when I saw her about another problem. I'm not a weight watcher and it was only a comment from someone who only sees me only once a year that prompted me to check my weight. (first time on scales for 2 years!) I am naturally very slim and have a high metabolism and weight normally never went up or down. I'm pretty physically active, do a lot of heavy gardening and cycle a fair bit, but don't work-out - maybe I should, but it's hard to find time to fit in, and I find it pretty boring.
When I was first put on meds my weight did increase by about 5kg to almost 60kg but since stopping meds I've dropped a bit.
I'm due my next HbA1c test next month but I'm half suspecting @lovinglife that it will have risen as my own tests have shown quite a marked rise since stopping medication, though the rise seems to stabilised now. But I'm almost prepared to lay money on my GP suggesting medication again, though maybe not gliclazide.
Thanks for the comment regarding a c-peptide test @Daibell , I'll ask the Doc if one was done whan I was diagnosed and if she thinks one is appropriate.
I am slightly tempted to increase my carb intake as it is pretty low at present, but I know from my own testing that carbs push up my BG. But prior to diagnosis I ate a 'normal' level of carbs and had still lost weight.
My apologies for not acknowledging all the individuals who have taken the time and effort to make sugestions, but your comments are all very much appreciated.

Dave.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
If you wish to gain weight while eating low carb I would try some of the recopies on the diet doctor site as they are very low carb but high in calories.

I have been doing that for the last week or so and have put on weight so am going to have to reduce portion size somewhat.

I was 10st 4lb last week and now have gained 6lbs either that or my scales are highly inaccurate.

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Your low weight (unless extreme) is less important than controlling your glucose levels. My BMI is just under 18 so my diabetic nurse classes me as (just) critically underweight, 18 being her cut off point, but I am not losing weight; once the initial weight dropped off I stabilised, so I can live with that. I know carbs send my glucose into the stratosphere so I have to save them for special occasions . I just make sure I always wear sleeves so the matchstick arms aren't on show!!!

Reactions: Grannypat and Bea56

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
It is not a matter of aesthetics and I hope I havn't misunderstood because it sounds like the two comments above are making jokes. If it were the other way around you would never make a joke about the appearance of someone who was struggling to lose weight.

Maradona

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am in the same position. I use PHD diet whey. Belgian chocolate and blend in some strawberrys. Tastes great and BG is ok too.

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
"It is not a matter of aesthetics and I hope I havn't misunderstood because it sounds like the two comments above are making jokes. If it were the other way around you would never make a joke about the appearance of someone who was struggling to lose weight."

No idea why you think I am joking Guzzler. I guess we all want to be the perfect weight but sometimes that is not achievable. I was a healthy weight but now that I can't eat carbs I am underweight. I don't want to be but I am stuck with it. I am sorry if you object to my post; I don't want to upset anyone just reassuring the original poster that there are some of us who struggle to maintain weight rather than lose it!

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
I too am a skinny T2. I was a healthy weight before diagnosis but when I cut the carbs I lost one and three quarter stones leaving me underweight for my height. I would like to gain some weight but unless I eat carbs (and have a very high glucose) I can't so I just live with being skinny!
Hi, I don't have the problem, the opposite in fact but I know that almonds and grapes definitely help. I really do miss both.

SueJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cold weather
Your low weight (unless extreme) is less important than controlling your glucose levels. My BMI is just under 18 so my diabetic nurse classes me as (just) critically underweight, 18 being her cut off point, but I am not losing weight; once the initial weight dropped off I stabilised, so I can live with that. I know carbs send my glucose into the stratosphere so I have to save them for special occasions . I just make sure I always wear sleeves so the matchstick arms aren't on show!!!
ignore my grape suggestion, sorry not good for BG

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
According to Dr Richard Bernstein the trick is to up the protein intake .

I saw a video of his citing an elderly, frail lady with this problem. He recommended higher protein and very low dose insulin. I do not have access to exogenous insulin but have raised, slightly my protein intake in the hopes of putting on a little weight or at least stopping weight loss. Fingers crossed.