Feeling so ill in the mornings

smitha

Hi...hoping for some advice, or ideas from you all. Im 32 and have LADA, so Im still in my honeymoon period. I take novorapid 4-6u with each meal and 10u of Levemir and 2000mg of Glucophage SR at night. Im also low-carbing. Quite often I wake up in the morning feeling so ill, even if Ive had a low carb meal the evening before. The naeusea lasts for a couple of hours then passes, but its so dibilitating, and really hard to do anything. I have a 3yr old Son, so being ill isnt an option!!:)
Why do you think this happens? I am hypo aware, so would be surprised if Im sleeping through one during the night. My waking BS was 8.6 today.
Ps...Im not pregnant!!! :lol:
Thanks y'all
smitha

louiseb

if i were you id make an appointment with the doctor sorry i cant help anymore but im type 2 and have no experience of insulin use although I am low carb and when I first started this diet i felt sick for the first few weeks

smitha

Thanks Louise. I guess I do need to see my Diabetes nurse. Ive followed Low-carb on and off for 2 years, however I stopped over Xmas and restarted 5th Jan.....who knows?!!!:)
thanks
smitha

scoots

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Smitha,

I was diagnosed with T1 diabetes a couple of years ago, and ever since I started on insulin I have experience massive nausea in the mornings. Maybe it was psychological, however I linked the nausea to the insulin and even the smell of it was (and still is to some extent) enough to set off the nausea. I got round this by not eating (consequently not having any insulin) until around 10 am, after which time the nausea had settled.

I am now on novorapid and lantus, however I have had the nausea symptoms novomix, levemir and insulatard, so I would say that for me it is unlikely to be associated with a specific insulin type.

I would speak with your diabetes nurse, just to see if there is anything they could suggest. From my perspective, I can only say that it did get better over time. It is certainly worth trying different things to see if it helps, e.g. eating earlier/later/carbs/nocarbs etc - may be more trial and error to see how it affects you.

Hope it settles quickly!

Jen x

janabelle

Dislikes
Lack of choice of insulin for newly diagnosed patients.
Dog owners who let their dogs poop in the street-a hazard for most, but worse if you're visually impaired!
Having RP
Hi Smitha
Someone mentioned a possible link between levemir and nausea to me a while ago. i'm going to chase it up and get back to you on that. Metformin also causes nausea in some people.
I suffered nausea on Lantus, amongst many other side-effects ; some people just don't get on with certain insulins.
Nausea can be be related to hormones as you'll know having a little one- I usually feel a bit sicky before my preiod starts.
See what your doc says, but meanwhile you could try nibbling a ginger biscuit whan you wake. Nairns ginger oat-biscuits have stem ginger and are low GI with only 6.6g carbs and 1.9g sugar per biscuit.
Jus :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
smitha,

Just to be sure I would set your meter alarm and check your blood glucose in the early hours to definitely rule out night-time hypo's.

Nigel

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
I would question the reasoning behind why you are taking 2000 mg of Glucophage SR at night. I also take the same dose but I follow the instructions I was given and take it in divided dose with 1/2 just before I eat breakfast and the other 1/2 just before I eat my evening meal. . . . usually 12hrs apart.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
It does all depend on what the OP means by 'at night ?'

The medication should be taken with the evening meal. I would hope that is the case and not last thing at night ??

The dose is initially 500 mg once daily, increased every 10–15 days, max. 2 g once daily with evening meal; if control not achieved, use 1 g twice daily with meals, and if control still not achieved change to standard-release tablets.

Source: BNF60

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Just a thought but with all the Insulin you take plus the Glucophage SR at night maybe you may need a slightly higher carb meal plus maybe a snack before bedtime. See if this makes any difference to how you feel in the morning.

It may be that the low carb meal is not enough to keep your levels up over night and you are 'liver dumping' . Whether this accounts for the nausea though, I don't know !

You could also discuss with your Doctor / HCP about reducing or altering the dosage that you are on.

goji

It might not be diabetes related so you should let your doctor know that this is happening as lots of things can cause nausea.