Carbohydrates

Barrowbakers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Even after 6 months still confused although I have lost about 4 stone! If a product says 50g per 100 is carbohydrate with 3 g sugar does that mean 47g are good carbohydrates for type 2’s. To look for next to zero carbs can be very boring.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
You can ignore the 'Of which sugars' in the UK they are included in the total carbs. Hope this helps and Hey! Congrats on the weight loss, sterling work!

Reactions: Barrowbakers

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It means that the food is one half carb by weight - and so high carb - there are no good carbohydrates, but there are quite a few foods which are not too bad - I have a limit of 10 percent carbs for my diet, so as not to spike my blood glucose. I know that I can cope with ten percent or less for everyday foods - and they are not at all boring.

Reactions: Barrowbakers

Barrowbakers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I tend to eat more fish than before, an occasional potato with skin, veg and fruit. Treats 90% dark chocolate and a couple of glasses of red wine or whisky.
Eating out which I love can be a trial - I love good food!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
47g are good carbohydrates for type 2’s
There are no "good" carbohydrates for Type 2's. There are non sugar carbohydrates but once you eat them they turn to glucose in the blood so we try to reduce them as much as possible. I have a limit of 5g per 100g of carbs in anything above which I rarely buy it.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You don’t necessarily need to go zero carb, pretty hard to do that in any case! I started at less than 100g carbs per day then dropped to 40-60g per day. I found out what level of carbs I could have by testing pre and post meals. Do you test at all @Barrowbakers ?
Well done on the weight loss! Do you have an HbA1c follow up soon to see what effect you’ve had?

GerryDavies

Type of diabetes
HCP
Even after 6 months still confused although I have lost about 4 stone! If a product says 50g per 100 is carbohydrate with 3 g sugar does that mean 47g are good carbohydrates for type 2’s. To look for next to zero carbs can be very boring.
The 47g of carbohydrate will be starch, and that is not likely to be good carb as it will spike blood glucose within an hour. Starch is as bad as sugar for increasing blood sugar (glucose). The only good carbs are fibres and prebiotics and they are listed separately.

Posted edited by moderator to remove sales link

Last edited by a moderator:

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So would 50g of carbs for 3 daily meals and 2 snacks of 20g be reasonable?
That depends on your meter readings. If you find you can eat 50g of carbs in one meal, and still have blood sugar readings two hours later, within the safe zone, then that is fine.

I dont know of anyone who can do that, I would say that 30g is the absolute maximum I can have in a meal, providing i have cheese or similar with it, but until you try and test yourself, you wont know.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The 47g of carbohydrate will be starch, and that is not likely to be good carb as it will spike blood glucose within an hour. Starch is as bad as sugar for increasing blood sugar (glucose). The only good carbs are fibres and prebiotics and they are listed separately. Here is a simpler explanation of good carbs and bad carbs - sales link removed by moderator -
I see you are referring someone to your highly dubious website again. Most of the fruits you list are NOT 'good carbs' they are particularly not 'good carbs' for type 2 diabetics.

Hotpepper20000

The 47g of carbohydrate will be starch, and that is not likely to be good carb as it will spike blood glucose within an hour. Starch is as bad as sugar for increasing blood sugar (glucose). The only good carbs are fibres and prebiotics and they are listed separately. Here is a simpler explanation of good carbs and bad carbs - sales link removed by moderator -
There’s is a few problems with this blog and the list of good carbs.
Bananas
Raisins
Figs
Oranges
Barley
And legumes are usually not advised for most type 2

Barrowbakers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
There appears to be many conflicting thoughts. I lost 4 stone (from nearly 18 to just under 14) using my own method of looking at tins etc. and attempting to work out total carbs. Sometimes a lunch of tinned mackerel and salad gives virtually no carbs then maybe a snack of a granary bread roll has no details but is apparently the best of the breads. So if I can lose over 20% of my weight in six months am I on the correct road forward?

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There appears to be many conflicting thoughts. I lost 4 stone (from nearly 18 to just under 14) using my own method of looking at tins etc. and attempting to work out total carbs. Sometimes a lunch of tinned mackerel and salad gives virtually no carbs then maybe a snack of a granary bread roll has no details but is apparently the best of the breads. So if I can lose over 20% of my weight in six months am I on the correct road forward?
How have your blood glucose level been over this time?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
D7FC300B-CA5F-4471-B8B3-095F8A5C0672.jpeg
Just because something doesn’t have dietary info with it doesn’t mean you can’t find out. I use the app called Nutracheck, this is what it says for your granary roll snack, it might surprise you!