HbA1c readings help

Blossom1977

Type of diabetes
Type 2
6 months ago I was diagnosed with diabetes after two non fasting blood test results. One was HbA1c, 11. The other was HbA1c 10.5.
I asked if I could try controlling my blood sugar levels myself, before taking medication. The doctor agreed to let me try. Today I phoned up the surgery to see if my new blood test results were ready. The receptionist looked at my results and said that the doctor had left a note saying that everything is within normal levels, so no need to see the doctor. So I asked what my HbA1c was, she said 5.9.
So I had a keep google And saw that it was the high end of normal. But I’m happy that I managed to get the figures down.
But what happens now. Do I just carry on as I have been. Keep self testing and watching the carb and sugar intake (I’ll do that anyway)
Or should I be insisting on seeing the doctor to see what he says is the next step?

Reactions: Freema

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well done on your fantastic results Blossom!
My last three HbA1cs have been in the non diabetic range but my GP still asks me to see him after each test. However I am on medication so maybe that’s the difference.
Keep doing what your doing, don’t take your eye off the ball, and you’ll be giving your body the best chance of not developing complications.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
If you are on any other medications you should see your GP, other than that you may want to set yourself another milestone, maybe a 5.5 or less next time.

Reactions: Blossom1977

archersuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi @Blossom1977 Well done! A great result. Have you had the eye screening or had your feet checked? Have you been offered or gone on an education course such as DESMOND (not that you need it with a reduction like that but you should have been offered it)?

If you haven't had the eye and feet checks, then I believe you should go back to the GP or ask to see a diabetic nurse.

Blossom1977

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks for all your replies. I’ve never seen a diabetic nurse (never been offered to see one. Everything I’ve learnt about Diabetes and what to eat I have found on here or google) . I had diabetic eye screening and results were good. Had a letter yesterday funnily enough saying that I hadn’t replied to previous letters sent about attending a diabetic education course (but I hadn’t received any previous letters). So I will get myself signed onto that. Havnt had feet checked (or told to have feet checked).
I’m not on any medication. From all your replies I think I will make an appointment with my doctor as it seems I’ve slipped the net and not had all the help I should have. I’ll carry on with the lifestyle changes I’ve made. I’m feeling lots of other benefits from healthy eating and exercise too. So feeling good right now I’ll set myself a goal of 5.5 too, that’s a really good idea xx

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks fr all your replies. I’ve never seen a diabetic nurse (never been offered to see one. Everything I’ve learnt about Diabetes and what to eat I have found on here or google) . I had diabetic eye screening. Had a letter yesterday funnily enough saying that I hadn’t replied to previous letters sent about attending a diabetic education course (but I hadn’t received any previous letters). So I will get myself signed onto that. Havnt had feet checked (or told to have feet checked).
I’m not on any medication. From all your replies I think I will make an appointment with my doctor as it seems I’ve slipped the net and not had all the help I should have. I’ll carry on with the lifestyle changes I’ve made. I’m feeling lots of other benefits from healthy eating and exercise too. So feeling good right now
emoji3.png
I’ll set myself a goal of 5.5 too, that’s a really good idea xx
To be honest you have probably learnt more here than most doctors would be able to tell you anyway. Sometimes their advice can be quite counterproductive. If you do get to see your doc listen nicely to what they have to say but also be slightly questioning. You may be one of the few people they will have seen who has achieved what you have... people following their advice most likely won't have.

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done great progress. It would be good to let GP know you haven't had a foot check.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
6 months ago I was diagnosed with diabetes after two non fasting blood test results. One was HbA1c, 11. The other was HbA1c 10.5.
I asked if I could try controlling my blood sugar levels myself, before taking medication. The doctor agreed to let me try. Today I phoned up the surgery to see if my new blood test results were ready. The receptionist looked at my results and said that the doctor had left a note saying that everything is within normal levels, so no need to see the doctor. So I asked what my HbA1c was, she said 5.9.
So I had a keep google And saw that it was the high end of normal. But I’m happy that I managed to get the figures down.
But what happens now. Do I just carry on as I have been. Keep self testing and watching the carb and sugar intake (I’ll do that anyway)
Or should I be insisting on seeing the doctor to see what he says is the next step?

Wow well done congratulations

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
At the foot check they will feel for pulses or use a handheld gizmo like an ultrasound to measure blood flow. They do a sensory test by pricking (not piercing) the skin, they make a visual record and advise about hard skin etc. All quite quick and completely painless. You should check your feet regularly for injuries, corns and ulcers etc and seek advice when necessary.

Great work on your A1c, keep it up.

Blossom1977

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I think you are using 2 different scales for the HbA1c. With the higher number, it should be less than 42 to be classed as non diabetic. Over 42 to 44 is pre diabetic & higher is diabetic.

I’ve marked where I was and where I am now, Incase I’ve written it down wrong in the message.
IMG_1522351341.502424.jpg

Blossom1977

Type of diabetes
Type 2
At the foot check they will feel for pulses or use a handheld gizmo like an ultrasound to measure blood flow. They do a sensory test by pricking (not piercing) the skin, they make a visual record and advise about hard skin etc. All quite quick and completely painless. You should check your feet regularly for injuries, corns and ulcers etc and seek advice when necessary.

Great work on your A1c, keep it up.

Thanks for your reply Guzzler, I’ll definately get that booked up

rab5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My Diabetic nurse
Sweet Jesus your a winner!

well done

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
50shades - Copy.png
I think you are using 2 different scales for the HbA1c. With the higher number, it should be less than 42 to be classed as non diabetic. Over 42 to 44 is pre diabetic & higher is diabetic.

my latest HbA1c is around 36.5 so no I use the same numbers as anybody else, somehow my numbers are now in the non diabetic level.. but well I have changed my life really a lot