Petition for Dr Tim Noakes

MARGAR

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I heard Dr Tim Noakes talking with The 2 x Keto Dudes - I listened on The Dudes Podcast. I keep looking out to hear some-one say Type 2's with insulin are eating the Keeto way. I started 2 weeks ago, so have got a lot to learn.

I'd like to hear of Anyone out there with Type 2, with insulin, to see how they manage.

Reactions: ickihun

MARGAR

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I heard Dr Tim Noakes talking with The 2 x Keto Dudes - I listened on The Dudes Podcast. I keep looking out to hear some-one say Type 2's with insulin are eating the Keeto way. I started 2 weeks ago, so have got a lot to learn.

I'd like to hear of Anyone out there with Type 2, with insulin, to see how they manage.

I see no response to my topic above, surely I'm not the only one!
I'm going to see Nurse at GP's Surgery on Tuesday 3rd April - I'll tell her I've been (almost, had to have a couple of cheats) Keto for approx 3 weeks, I wonder what her response will be?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wonder what her response will be
Probably incredulity that you aren't dead..
But seriously are you injecting insulin for your Type 2 whilst keto?
Have you not experienced any hypos or are you monitoring very closely?

MARGAR

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you for responding....Yes I inject twice a day..I have lowered the insulin somewhat, but that I need to lower it even more. I'm hoping the Nurse will advise the dosage. The lowest my b.s. Readings have been in the last 3 weeks is 4.6 when I feel I really must eat something. Keto "stuff" doesn't seem work quick enough, to get me out of that almost panic feeling.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
If @MARGAR is like me. Hugely insulin resistant. Even strict keto won't stop her need for insulin to reduce her bgs. @bulkbiker.
Its nice to see I'm not alone. :)

Not saying IR cannot be reduced but will take far far longer than the ones not so aggressively IR.
Weight loss is a huge help.
Exercise, not stressful.
Liver blocks.
LONG TERM - FOR LIFE.

An improved hba1c in 3 months isn't enough, unfortunately.

MARGAR

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Ooh...how interesting...but so much to learn...was 6.3 after b/fast, just had cream coffee, will be having roasted chicken thighs with leeks cooked in butter & goats cheese, + Spring cabbage, for lunch. Hope you are all enjoying your Easter Break, go easy on the Hot Cross Buns!

Reactions: Alison Campbell

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for responding....Yes I inject twice a day..I have lowered the insulin somewhat, but that I need to lower it even more. I'm hoping the Nurse will advise the dosage. The lowest my b.s. Readings have been in the last 3 weeks is 4.6 when I feel I really must eat something. Keto "stuff" doesn't seem work quick enough, to get me out of that almost panic feeling.
I'm loathe to give you any advice as I have no experience whatsoever with insulin. But I'd say 4.6 is what you are aiming for. Keto food shouldn't raise your blood sugar quickly, its "designed" not to... so not much use for a hypo. I would heartily suggest a frank discussion with the nurse on Tuesday and see what she says about coming off insulin completely when trying keto. I would have thought that the problems caused by hypos in your position would be far worse than higher BG levels for a few weeks. But I'm no HCP just a random voice on the internet.