Meter and no meds vs no meter and meds

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All, I'm new here and have come to this thread because I wanted to understand the benefits of regular testing, especially when first diagnosed (9/3/2018). I started by testing the Fasting Blood Glucose (FBG) on a daily basis, but realised I needed to do more to understand what was going on throughout the day, after exercise and eating. I am on a very low carb diet, only getting carbs from above ground vegetable and have managed to get the FBG down from 19.4 to an average of 7. I realise of course that the reduction is going to slow down the closer I get to a 'normal' target but I was wondering how many times people test a day? My fingers are getting sore...:arghh:
This has been a very interesting thread and I agree that this diet control of diabetes can only work if a person wants it to work.

Welcome @Michèle-le-steam
I did a very similar routine to @Rachox
I was diagnosed with a fasting reading of 18 and then HbA1c of 95. It took me a few weeks to start to understand what worked. By then I was recording everything I ate (with quantities) and readings so I could look back and see what worked and where I needed to improve. The first food I had to cut out was Weetabix as that pushed my sugars up by about 5 points! It took me several weeks to get a fasting reading below 7 and 6 months to get my HbA1c into normal range. I made many mistakes along the way. Now 3 years later I test fasting and normally before and after main meal or if I'm trying something very different. Best wishes and do ask questions and people will try and help from their experience.

Reactions: Debandez and Rachox

bruciebonus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I'm doing well following a LCHF diet. Got my hba1c down from 62 to 42 in approximately 3 months so I'm delighted. This is through checking what works for me by using meter and test strips. I've just been to lunch with a good friend who's husband was diagnosed a short time before me. He is taking metformin and was told testing not necessary (as I was to be honest). He isn't due back at Dr for about 9 months. If this is the case am I right to assume the metformin will be keeping his BG balanced or will he be spiking when he eats things like bread, pasta, rice, potatoes etc. He is even enjoying hot cross buns packed with fruit! Not one test being done to see how his body is coping. I told her what I was doing and she noticed straight away I have lost weight (34lbs).i told her how I have done it. She said the Drs told her husband he didn't need to test and gave him the standard pie chart of what he can eat and how much. The one that states 1/3 carbs daily! I didn't want to sound patronising by telling about all I had learned and just have a 5 minute rundown. And quickly shut up as she didn't look impressed as it looks like I'm going against medical advice. What will be happening to her husband readings when be has all these carbs? Anyone any ideas. I feel a bit confused as to why Drs don't give out the info I easily obtained from this website that obviously works in bringing down BS :wideyed:
Doctors are not allowed to tell you to lower carbs and increase fat, government won't them. When I told my doc, here in France, after loosing 20kg and bgs so low I had to stop the metfartin, she told me I was wrong and should eat carbs, so I did and bgs went back, then she refused to enter into a discussion about LCHF, and just said "do what you did before" and Good-by. Thing is, my mother was diagnosed 40years ago and her doc. told her to drastically reduce carbs and sugar, she never had meds for it, and never had a problem, and she always bought the fattest meat and bacon she could find, always butter and lard for frying just like she learned as child in 1930's.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Doctors are not allowed to tell you to lower carbs and increase fat, government won't them. When I told my doc, here in France, after loosing 20kg and bgs so low I had to stop the metfartin, she told me I was wrong and should eat carbs, so I did and bgs went back, then she refused to enter into a discussion about LCHF, and just said "do what you did before" and Good-by. Thing is, my mother was diagnosed 40years ago and her doc. told her to drastically reduce carbs and sugar, she never had meds for it, and never had a problem, and she always bought the fattest meat and bacon she could find, always butter and lard for frying just like she learned as child in 1930's.
Music to my ears. Thank you for your reply. Much happier today. I'm still trying to get my head around things but getting there with help from this forum.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Organ meat.
Welcome @Michèle-le-steam
I did a very similar routine to @Rachox
I was diagnosed with a fasting reading of 18 and then HbA1c of 95. It took me a few weeks to start to understand what worked. By then I was recording everything I ate (with quantities) and readings so I could look back and see what worked and where I needed to improve. The first food I had to cut out was Weetabix as that pushed my sugars up by about 5 points! It took me several weeks to get a fasting reading below 7 and 6 months to get my HbA1c into normal range. I made many mistakes along the way. Now 3 years later I test fasting and normally before and after main meal or if I'm trying something very different. Best wishes and do ask questions and people will try and help from their experience.
Thanks Hiitsme, luckily for me I am not new to Low Carb diets. but to get where I want to me I am having to go Low Low Carb. but I am hoping that when things have stabilised I can be a little bit more carefree with my diet and allow a bit more starchy veg into the mix.
Diagnosed on 9th March, HbA1c 77, FBG 19, Weight 13st 8

Reactions: Debandez

david1241

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
doctors and dentists.I would not be rude to any.Also i don't like being taken for granted.
Hello,When the doctor told i was diabetic.I said i'll have to buy some test strips for my test meter ,which i had bought a while back.,to test my cholesterol.Seeing the doctors at this malpractice said my cholesterol was high{ 6.3 ] and i should be taking statins.I told him i'd try and reduce it without taking statins .After about 3 weeks ,i managed to reduce it to 5.3 by eating benocol yogurts.That was good enough fot me.Back to 2016.When i mentioned test strips.She said you have no need to test .i said,how will i know if i am eating the right food to try and lower my blood sugar.She said oh well i cannot prescribe test strips .I said it's ok i'll buy my own.Then she tried to persuade me to take statins When i refused she got stroppy and said if i refused to take them she would not treat me>so i said i would treat myself .Never to return there.I managed to cure my diabetes by going on a 24 hour alternate fasting diet .Which lowered my blood sugar to normal in a short time.All the many complications that started coming in thick and fast cleared up.I am noton a special diet now .I can eat what i like without any adverse effects..Yes i know the medics will say .i am only in remission.I have been totally diabetic free for 12 months.They don't want any cures for this terrible frightening metabolic disorder.The is too much money to be made..I do a blood test now and again just to check .iI don't want it back if i can help it.I think some of these prescription drugs.can caurse diabetes.Like statins and Atenolol.I was on this drug for blood pressure .for 25 years..There is no diabetes in my family.no one in my family has taken Atenolol.The doctor would not take me off them .So i weaned myself of them.Which reduced my reduced my blood sugar.but not low enough.Thats where the fasting diet came in losing over 3 st in weight.I lost most of my belly fat with this diet I can see signs of a 6 pack Whey!.I've tried calorie controlled diets.Maybe lost a stone got fed up with it and piled the weight back on again.Try the fasting diet out.it may work for you.I think the main thing is to try and reduce the internal fat round the pancreas and liver.Information from Dr.Jason Fung.Utube.

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello,When the doctor told i was diabetic.I said i'll have to buy some test strips for my test meter ,which i had bought a while back.,to test my cholesterol.Seeing the doctors at this malpractice said my cholesterol was high{ 6.3 ] and i should be taking statins.I told him i'd try and reduce it without taking statins .After about 3 weeks ,i managed to reduce it to 5.3 by eating benocol yogurts.That was good enough fot me.Back to 2016.When i mentioned test strips.She said you have no need to test .i said,how will i know if i am eating the right food to try and lower my blood sugar.She said oh well i cannot prescribe test strips .I said it's ok i'll buy my own.Then she tried to persuade me to take statins When i refused she got stroppy and said if i refused to take them she would not treat me>so i said i would treat myself .Never to return there.I managed to cure my diabetes by going on a 24 hour alternate fasting diet .Which lowered my blood sugar to normal in a short time.All the many complications that started coming in thick and fast cleared up.I am noton a special diet now .I can eat what i like without any adverse effects..Yes i know the medics will say .i am only in remission.I have been totally diabetic free for 12 months.They don't want any cures for this terrible frightening metabolic disorder.The is too much money to be made..I do a blood test now and again just to check .iI don't want it back if i can help it.I think some of these prescription drugs.can caurse diabetes.Like statins and Atenolol.I was on this drug for blood pressure .for 25 years..There is no diabetes in my family.no one in my family has taken Atenolol.The doctor would not take me off them .So i weaned myself of them.Which reduced my reduced my blood sugar.but not low enough.Thats where the fasting diet came in losing over 3 st in weight.I lost most of my belly fat with this diet I can see signs of a 6 pack Whey!.I've tried calorie controlled diets.Maybe lost a stone got fed up with it and piled the weight back on again.Try the fasting diet out.it may work for you.I think the main thing is to try and reduce the internal fat round the pancreas and liver.Information from Dr.Jason Fung.Utube.
Thank you so much for this it's very helpful

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I too was told by my Doctor to not bother testing myself, and was given metformin slow release, but after visiting this website I ordered a TEE meter and strips and needles, and now I can see what spikes me and what doesnt, been on a low (50g) a day "diet" I still drink red wine and enjoy my meats and eggs, chicken and fish lost nearly a stone in weight in about 6 weeks, BG levels are now good??? as I know what to eat. Started out at 13-20 now even out to 5.5- 10, I spike to the 15 if I eat bread, rolls etc. but I can control this now, by checking with the meter. Mine was free meter but I pay for strips and needles, just had blood test fasting and a relief not being called back to the quacks, (like previously). Only you can decide what to do, but this forum helps to make informed decisions. Good luck.
Definitely the testing without hesitation. I'm just mystified as to why Drs aren't advising testing and they just dish out meds and say no need to test! Thank you so much for your reply.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
I'm not here to kick that can down the road by denigrating doctors, but you can spread the word. ALWAYS test :)

Reactions: Debandez and rom35

david1241

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
doctors and dentists.I would not be rude to any.Also i don't like being taken for granted.
Hello .The doctors at my malpractice couldn't careless .The trouble is ,as i have mentioned in earlier e-mails .I am old i am 73 years old .I guess that makes me elderly.Before the age of 65 .i had excellent treatment on the NHS Good doctors who cared..An insight into my treat on reaching .65 was limping into the surgery with severe pain in my left hip .The doctor told me i had arthritis .He said i shall not send you for an xray because i want keep away from the surgeons I did ask for an xray i wanted a sick note .I was in that much pain i could not do my job ,man handling concrete and Yorkstone flags to repair the paths in York.Later on over the counter pain killers were no good .So I asked the chief doctor if he would prescribe me some stronger pain killers as i was in agony.No i will not he said.As for the diabetes treatment there .If i had taken the treatment and the statins etc.I would probably dead by now.

Reactions: Debandez

mojo37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Your doctor can not refuse to treat you just because you don't want to take statins ! My doctors ( several of them ) have tried to get me to take statins and I have refused point blank to take them .They don't like you refusing some don't don't seem to like the fact that you have a mind of your own lol