Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Whilst attending my GP surgery last week it flashed-up on his computer that I was requesting far to many test strips, he asked how often I tested and I told him it was 7-8 times a day and he said that this was far to many and 4 times would be sufficient. I explained to him my reasons for testing so often such as before meals, upon waking, before and during driving/exercise and last thing at night, but he insisted that most of his type 1 patients normally test only 4 times a day. This is the first time that test strips have been a issue with my practice, and unsure why this has came to light now.

So for type 1's only, how many times do you test your bg on average?

Many thanks

Nigel

leggott

We test my kids between 7 - 10 times a day. My husband probably does about the same.
At the moment we are also testing my son at various times during the night, so some days we get up to 12!

leggott

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Thanks leggott! :)

Nigel

susieg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
the confusion about what and what not to eat, provided by others who know it all!
I'm newly diagnosed T1, (2m) and I test 4 - 6 times a day, My HCP said I could test twice a day if wanted or 6 times, whatever gave me peace of mind. I know these test strips are fairly expensive and T2's are told not to order too many (I was a prescription clerk at a GP surgery) re the costs, but never T1. they were given prn (as and when needed).

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Basic minimum on a day when I do no exercise, have no hypos, no unsual meals etc is 4. (fasting, pre lunch and dinner and bed)
Some days I use double or more: the other night it took me over an hour and 4 strips to get out of a hypo.
I'm prescribed 6 a day here ... and get the impression that is a 'normal' amount but because they come in 100s the pharmacist gives me 200 a month, which normally works out fine.. So far no-one in the French Authorities has seemed to do the arithmetic! (having said that I've had to buy them UK more than once when I run out on an unexpected visit so they probably owe me)

Just a little word of warning though, all health authorities are looking to save money on strips.A few months ago the French authorities decreed that they would only pay for one strip per day. it took typical French demonstrations, petitions , media coverage etc to make them change their minds... and only for T1, they are reviewing what to give in the case of T2.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Thanks Susie and Phoenix! :)

Nigel

anniep

I'm a T2, but did you see the piece I posted the other day about the T1 who was sent to prison for having a hypo while driving and killing a person.

He was found quilty of dangerous driving, the judge said it was up to him to look after himself and he had failed to test before driving

"It later transpired that Dodd had failed to self-medicate or check his blood sugar levels before getting behind the wheel of his Ford Transit."

link to story here http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-me ... e-12208458

I said then this tragedy surely must be amunition for any T1 to take to their doctor re testing.

Matthew1990

Dislikes
Working.
Working
and
Working!
I recently diagnosed as type 1 and only recently had my license back, it says everytime you go to drive a car (short or long) test before driving...surely this is going to be abit of a pain if you just going down the road or havent got the time or you can recognise your not in a hypo mode?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Matthew1990 said:
I recently diagnosed as type 1 and only recently had my license back, it says everytime you go to drive a car (short or long) test before driving...surely this is going to be abit of a pain if you just going down the road or havent got the time or you can recognise your not in a hypo mode?

Matt.

It will be even MORE of a pain for the person you run down, the family of that person, the friends of that person, the relatives of that person......you see where I'm going with this ? :(

The post just in front of yours is all about a driver who killed somebody whilst at the wheel of a van.

Do you want to be responsible for something like that........or a responsible Diabetic ? You have a responsibility to other road users as well you know.

It takes just a minute to test.........a minute to save a life.

As a newly diagnosed T1 it is imperative that you test when they tell you to. You have shown in many of your previous posts that your control is not good and that your understanding is limited at the moment. The DVLA advice is there for a reason........

Life and death isn't funny .........I know, I have seen it many times and had to pick up the pieces. :(

anniep

Matthew1990 said:

Vital as it is, this is going to be difficult to do if you can only have 4 test strips a day!

Matthew1990

Dislikes
Working.
Working
and
Working!
That is very true i wasnt going to decline doing it? I will check before driving and my control is getting better. I wish you'd give me some credit tbh. The strips are very hard to get as many doctors etc think 3-4 times a day is more than enough.

anniep

You could use the story I linked to to argue with your doctor - after all the judgment says the driver must take responsibility, ask the doctor how can you do that without strips?

Matthew1990

Dislikes
Working.
Working
and
Working!
Yes I will. I will check before driving at all times, the doctor will have to supply more strips to every diabetic that needs them. Because without any doubt we do 100%. Quick question though on the checking front, when checking i got told to get cold water on a tissue whip the finger im testing on and then use another tissue to dry it then test. How would I be able to do this whilst out doing something then needing to drive again? Do you understand what I mean? :)

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Matthew1990 said:
That is very true i wasnt going to decline doing it? I will check before driving and my control is getting better. I wish you'd give me some credit tbh. The strips are very hard to get as many doctors etc think 3-4 times a day is more than enough.

I do give you credit for your progress, however you have to admit you also have much to learn. It wasn't clear what you actually planned to do.

In any case as a Monitor we also put advice on the board which sometimes is for the benefit of others, who may read here. We don't want them to think it is OK not to bother testing before driving.

As for the cleaning your hands/fingers. I keep a non alcohol hand cleanser spray in the car at all times. Simple matter to clean hands/test and stay legal and safe.

jameshallam

I test (on average) about 6 times a day.

Minimum would be waking, before meals and before bed - so usually 4 times.
Would then test extra if doing exercise or driving. (i commute using the train, so don't drive regulary.

My GP asked me why I was using so many test strips, I responded with the above and he was absolutely fine with it. I guess they have to ask just to make sure you are not selling them on ebay or something.

sugar2

Hi Nigel,

I test any where between 6 and 20 times on a normal day...average about 10.

I had the "youu test rather a lot" chat with the Dr about 6 months ago too...he refused to sign my prescription until I spoke to him...he was fine once I explained though ( I work, and drive and from work...2 strips...I eat 3 time a day 3 strips I have 2 young children, who think I am a taxi..at least 2 strips for driving, i test before I go to bed..1 strip .As I am now on a pump, and have to test vefore I eat..even if it just a piece of fruit...another 2 strips...might do some exercise occasionally...another strip. I think he signed the prescription jst to shut me up to be honest!

I am sure that your Dr would agree, that you strip requirements, although not "average" do result in a HbA1c that is far better than average as well!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Thanks James and Sugar! :)

My gp is not the diabetes doctor in the practice and I suspect this has been passed down by the practice manager as my gp looked very uncomfortable when discussing it with me, normally (and still do) I have a great relationship with my him and cannot speak more highly of him as a doctor. There is a diabetes doctor within the practice that I shall make a appointment with and discuss my usage, this is the same doc that upped my repeat from 100 to 200 strips a few years back so I'll see how I get on, I'll use the feedback on here as evidence that I am not alone in testing more than 4x daily.

Nigel

louiseb

my aunt who is type 1.5 uses about 10 test strips per day and has never had an issue with amount she is using infact her endo has encouraged her to test more often :shock:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
louiseb said:
my aunt who is type 1.5 uses about 10 test strips per day and has never had an issue with amount she is using infact her endo has encouraged her to test more often :shock:

Just goes to show the difference in the advice given out louise, I couldn't get by testing any less than I do! :(

Nigel

louiseb

noblehead said:
louiseb said:

Just goes to show the difference in the advice given out louise, I couldn't get by testing any less than I do! :(

Nigel

I know I found it appalling, its all down to cost I am only allowed 2 sprips per week :shock: which I know as a type 2 is the usual story and dont mind paying for my own as id rather pay for strips than end up with diabetic complications my father had a foot amputated due to daibetes and died in his early 50's due to again daibetic complications so I try so hard to control diabetes.
but really maddens me is when type 1 diabetics have the amount of strips they are using brought into question.
as an insulin dependant daibetic it is a necessity for you test, and test as many times as you need to.