How would you Bolus for this type of meal

NoKindOfSusie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Short answer, I wouldn't, I wouldn't eat the wrap. 52g is a whole day's carbs.

Celsus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Short answer, I wouldn't, I wouldn't eat the wrap. 52g is a whole day's carbs.
Short and to the point - And you are 100% right! I wouldn't eat the wrap either myself. Not because I am thinking about the carbohydrates, but unless its to make a "wrap to take on for the road" I don't see the big purpose for the wrap at all. I would forget about it and then beef up the quantities of all the other ingredients all together!

Its still a marvelous composition on a plate !

Can I still have my Chablis please?

Reactions: Dodo

O_DP_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yep most days I'm fine on it. Some days as with the big D you can get off day(s)

Reactions: db89

Celsus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I need the carbs aiming to hit about 250g per day for training.
Oh, that is a good one! :)
Though probably controversial to many on this forum, I used also myself to be on high-carb diet myself for many years to help build and maintain my muscle mass! Though my target was just the more modest 200g daily mark. And if not working out hard and eating to it at the same time, it just did not work out at all. And you don't want to bulge out the wrong places either. Trick was to find some food sources from where you had a 'predictable' sugar uptake so as to be able to match the insulin to it. Maybe old fashioned but I tended to stay with the classics: A fiber rich breakfast cereal with a bit of protein powder and some milk. Works great for breakfast but also being my go-to default snack any time of day to fit my training/sport endeavors. Rick in carbs and protein but slowed in uptake by the fibers. A cream of rice cereals with some bananas was another favorite of mine. Not to forget the all times favorite: Any pasta with some meat and vegetables added to the mix, giving you a high carbs and protein meal.

All this may sound weird or wrong to some. But as being a sporty type1, who never had trouble with being fat in any way or form, then having sufficient/right muscle mass and keeping it to do all the sports/hobbies I like has always been the main challenge for me. And I am convinced having this extra muscle mass in your body helps a lot to maintain great capacity and glycogen storage buffer to aid your diabetes at the same with the increased metabolism. Today I am getting old and 6 kilos less than my previous 'normal fighting weight' and its all muscle that has gone... And the body is as result more flimsy to react to a little sugar or exercise diversion compared to previous. (I think...)

Best of luck with it !

O_DP_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Exactly that!!! If i am bumming around at home not training carbs are much lower otherwise I get a spike etc.. My usual carb sources are good tbh.
  • Brown bread
  • Brown pasta
  • Brown rice
  • Wholemeal wraps (usually these are fine)
  • Oats
  • Sweet potatoes

you get the idea....anything carby and white or process sends me into space so I stay away from it. tbh I have been dling pretty well on this. Each to there own and all that.

Reactions: kaylz91

NoKindOfSusie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I used to run 5ks two or three times a week, I have basically done no exercise at all for seven months and the results are horrible :(

Celsus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What does bolus mean.
Bolus is a single large dose of a drug intended to achieve a certain concentration of the drug in the blood and we diabetics on insulin tend to use this term to describe the fast acting insulin shot we take to metabolize any of the larger meals we eat during the day. The insulin effect is acting rapid to match the glucose coming into our bloodstream from digesting the sugars that we have eaten/will eat.

The other insulin we also take, we typically refer to as the 'basal'. Basal is the 'foundation' and the insulin we take of that kind is the very slow but long acting type. That is the insulin your body needs just to maintain life at its base functionality to support our brain and muscle functions, even when not eating or exercising.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I find avocados difficult to bolus for. My usual I:C ratio doesn't work so well for them. I think that might be because our carbs are all net carbs, with fibre deducted. And sometimes, for some people fibre in some foods can be absorbed and raise blood sugar. I think avocado does this to me because I mush it up for guacamole and maybe that allows the fibre to be digested?

If you're having 50g of carbs in a meal you definitely don't need to think about bolusing for protein. Your body wants to get glucose from somewhere. When you're feeding it a reasonable amount of carbs it will be readily available from the carbs eaten. ONLY if you are eating a low carb diet will your body decide it needs to get glucose by performing the process of gluconogenesis on the protein eaten, turning the protein into glucose. This process is the difficult way for the body to get glucose. It's not going to bother doing the difficult process if there is glucose readily available in carbs eaten.

Fat shouldn't impact on your bolus dosage. But may make you consider bolus timing: possibly half the bolus before and half the bolus after eating because a high fat content meal will slow down the carb action.

NoKindOfSusie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think avocado does this to me because I mush it up for guacamole and maybe that allows the fibre to be digested?
Dietary fibre cannot be digested, that is what the definition of it is. All food gets mushed up by your teeth.

Avocado is about 10% carbohydrate by weight but about 15% fat by weight which presumably gives it a really complicated absorbtion profile. It is therefore on my "no thanks I like eyesight" list. This is a pain. I like avocado (I liked avocado.)

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don’t bolus for avocado. Eat about a third at a time with a couple of sticks of celery and a tablespoon of hummus for an evening snack. It hardly budges the line on the Libre.